whats so good about beats headphones?
Jul 5, 2014 at 7:01 AM Post #16 of 106
  now i understand what’s so good about beats. yesterday i met a guy who has beats tour, and he let me listen to them. since they do not let you try in ear earphones in shop. and the bass that came out of them straight from my iphone is great, and sound quality is great. may be better than on my beats pro.
what earphones are better sounding than beats tour if anyone tried?
i think i will buy those to listen to music when i am outside since i do not want to bring beats pro outside, they are too big to bring outside with me. and i do not want to bother with apple earbuds, they have zero quality base. even though i did modify them.
what goes to beats headphones, those are pointless, except may be for beats pro, those are better than any other beats headphones, or any headphones i tried at the shop.
i don’t like sound in solo or studio, those do not sound good to me.

the beats tour are ok, but there are better bass heavy in-ears available for a lower price. I even think that the Xiaomi Pistons are better than the tour. And they are only $30. 

EDIT: I just realized there is a 2.0 version of the beats tour. I only have the original first version, so disregard my comment, I don't know the current model, so have no opinion on them.

Jul 5, 2014 at 8:34 AM Post #17 of 106
now i understand what’s so good about beats. yesterday i met a guy who has beats tour, and he let me listen to them. since they do not let you try in ear earphones in shop. and the bass that came out of them straight from my iphone is great, and sound quality is great. may be better than on my beats pro.
what earphones are better sounding than beats tour if anyone tried?
i think i will buy those to listen to music when i am outside since i do not want to bring beats pro outside, they are too big to bring outside with me. and i do not want to bother with apple earbuds, they have zero quality base. even though i did modify them.
what goes to beats headphones, those are pointless, except may be for beats pro, those are better than any other beats headphones, or any headphones i tried at the shop.
i don’t like sound in solo or studio, those do not sound good to me.

Have you tried the beats solo HD monochromatic (drenched in colour) or the new solo2?

Both these cans IMO, make for superb portable on the move cans both with superb sound signatures :)

Edit: guess my first post isn't my one and only post on this thread - I guess I should have changed my original statement to - I won't reply to the absurd beats hater posts that have already started on this thread - lol :D check my profile - I have a lot of experience with a lot of cans and I buy beats because I like them - default rant over :wink:

Jul 6, 2014 at 8:12 AM Post #18 of 106

the beats tour are ok, but there are better bass heavy in-ears available for a lower price. I even think that the Xiaomi Pistons are better than the tour. And they are only $30. 

EDIT: I just realized there is a 2.0 version of the beats tour. I only have the original first version, so disregard my comment, I don't know the current model, so have no opinion on them.

yes definitely i am talking about v2 of beats tour. the sound is dope on those.

is there in ear earphones that have better sound?

Have you tried the beats solo HD monochromatic (drenched in colour) or the new solo2?

Both these cans IMO, make for superb portable on the move cans both with superb sound signatures
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit: guess my first post isn't my one and only post on this thread - I guess I should have changed my original statement to - I won't reply to the absurd beats hater posts that have already started on this thread - lol
biggrin.gif
check my profile - I have a lot of experience with a lot of cans and I buy beats because I like them - default rant over
wink.gif

thanks for suggestion but i already have beats pro headphones, which are way better than any solo, i tried all of them, beats pro has best bass for me.
i still want to try senheiser 25 and audiotechnica 50, just can’t find a display model and i do not want to buy without trying how they sound.

Jul 10, 2014 at 12:16 AM Post #19 of 106
What model are you reviewing? Is it the newer studio or an older version? It is important to disclose that information as there seems to be plenty of evidence that the newer models sound better. I will say that I think many people bash Beats simply because that has been the thing to do in the past (deservedly so due to poor price/performance ratios), and I am willing to bet that few of us here in the forums have actually spent any serious, quality listening time with the newer Beats. I am not a Beats fanboy, don't own any, no plans to purchase any; however, I think people are now grossly prejudicial around here and refuse to even consider that perhaps since Apple took over positive change has been made. Most around the forums here would accept that Mac products and iPods in general have quite good sound for mass market products so I fail to understand why the bashing continues. I have read very few if any objective posts about newer Beats. 

2009 Beats Pro Over Ear Black. $399 USD.

Any of my SuperLux cans are better, TakStar Pro 80's far superior, CAL! classics are better. I did not compare them to anything pricier ,but why?

They have a massive, gargantuan, biggest I have ever heard, lower midrange (160-320hZ) upper bass (80-160hZ) hump, but no deep bass. Thin recessed sucked out mids, no upper range sparkle and forget the sound stage.

They are intended for, obviously, rap, hip-hop, EDM and deep bass club music.

Forget rock and don't even think about classical, jazz or anything acoustic, natural, real, or live.

There is ONE good thing about Beats and their success and 60% market penetration.

Now consumers have elevated their price expectation for headphones.

Now all of the better headphones at $399 can get Beats customers by showing them their better sound.

That's the 650's, HiFiMan, Fostex, Ultrasone, Beyer and other excellent cans.

why the bashing continues

Because they are worthy of bashing. Because they are bad headphones.

Because Beats are mediocre pieces of sonic junk heavily marketed to people who don't understand what good sound is, at a price that is 10X times what a comparable sounding headphone or IEM.

Because when you put a pair of 600's on someone's head, they will expectation bias question first thing and ask are they better than Beats, even while listening to them. They need to be told if they sound good or not, they cannot decide for themselves, and they have no basis for comparison with good sound.

Some headphones sound better than others, Beats headphones don't sound good, and the people who like them don't know good sound, or are victims to fashion and trends and peer pressure.

Succumbing to peer pressure, fads,and trends are things that children do in Junior High and High School.

Jul 10, 2014 at 2:15 AM Post #21 of 106
I've got a pair of the new solo 2's, and I am impressed. They are my go to phones with my ipad mini retina. Are they neutral? more so than in the past. Still have the bass, but it is toned down from the previous model. My ipad can drive them with ease. And I am a old man on this forum 53 years young! Do I listen to rap or hip hop? not on your life. They have a way of making you enjoy the fun of music again. That is what this hobby is all about, I think sometimes we become to critical of equipment looking for the purist goal of the  perfect sounding equipment. I have heard plenty of the super high end phones, that are cold and analytical, but they enjoyment gets bogged down looking for little nuances etc. Let's not forgot why we got into this hobby, for the enjoyment and fun of it.

Jul 10, 2014 at 3:10 AM Post #22 of 106
I would say the beats have a distinctive (and bad) coloration on the sound signature that appeals the mass consumers with faux impression regarding good sound. Zero deep bass, mid/high bass humping along muddy and hollow like presentation of mid and high. Veiled like I'm listening to music through a wall from next door.

"People aren't hearing all the music. With Beats, people are going to hear what the artists hear and listen to the music the way they should: the way I do." Marketing nonsense.

Jul 10, 2014 at 9:54 AM Post #23 of 106
I would say the beats have a distinctive (and bad) coloration on the sound signature that appeals the mass consumers with faux impression regarding good sound. Zero deep bass, mid/high bass humping along muddy and hollow like presentation of mid and high. Veiled like I'm listening to music through a wall from next door.

"People aren't hearing all the music. With Beats, people are going to hear what the artists hear and listen to the music the way they should: the way I do." Marketing nonsense.

Wow, that is a pretty strong stance and that makes me want to ask how much beats listening have you done, and more important to this discussion have you heard the newer models since the affiliation with Monster/Dr. Dre ended? I will admit that when I heard early beats I would almost totally agree with you, but there are consistent reports from experienced listeners that the new beats are indeed greatly improved. As I said before, I do not own beats, most likely never will (but I do like their styling); however, I really think a great deal of this inflexible bias against beats was formed quite some time back and I will bet the majority of people who bash on beats really have very little experience with them. I don't believe in burn-in at all, rather I feel we get used to the sound signatures we use daily and as such if you want to really know the sound of a can, you need to use it extensively and over a period of time, not a few hours over at friends house during a party.

Jul 10, 2014 at 1:11 PM Post #24 of 106

Wow, that is a pretty strong stance and that makes me want to ask how much beats listening have you done, and more important to this discussion have you heard the newer models since the affiliation with Monster/Dr. Dre ended? I will admit that when I heard early beats I would almost totally agree with you, but there are consistent reports from experienced listeners that the new beats are indeed greatly improved. As I said before, I do not own beats, most likely never will (but I do like their styling); however, I really think a great deal of this inflexible bias against beats was formed quite some time back and I will bet the majority of people who bash on beats really have very little experience with them. I don't believe in burn-in at all, rather I feel we get used to the sound signatures we use daily and as such if you want to really know the sound of a can, you need to use it extensively and over a period of time, not a few hours over at friends house during a party.

They are still pretty overpriced. Yet i agree with your statement saying that listening to a particular headphone over a period of time makes you feel a little bit more having the "toleration" for the distinct signature.

Jul 11, 2014 at 2:19 PM Post #25 of 106
i have beats pro. and i listened to them for about a week.
i need to say what heaphones i have in order for you to understand where i am coming from and to where i am coming to. the only earphones i used were apple earbuds, have loads of them. and nixon headphones, the one that is all plastic with silicone covers. the nixon has no sound isolation, and apple earbuds have no bass, they do but to get the bass you need to sound isolate those.
in comparison to those that i already have and listen to every day, listened to every day, beats pro is more clear on sound. nixon is not bad, but beats pro are more clear.
having said that i do not have sennheiser 25 or audio technica m50 that djs seem to like using every day, to compare the beats pro to. the beats pro that i have is non monster version because there is no monster logo on them, only beats is written on each side of the headphone metal things.
the muffs on the beats pro make the sound more bassy, and they sound isolate quite a bit. this is also make them sound like listening to sound like through a wood. if i remove the soft ear muffs, you get less bass and the sound is clearer, the higher pitched sound is more audible. and also the earmuffs introduce quite a bit of space, between speakers and ears, almost like a 1-1.5 cm tube, where sound probably mises of different frequencies and makes sound more like bassy and higher frequencies are not very well audible, which makes them sound like listening through wood.
honestly i still have not decided if i like them or not. and there is a chance i might sell them and buy sennheiser 25 or audiotechnica m50, since no one see me at home wearing them anyway. and for outside i bought beats tour, they should come in a while, i will listen to them, to see what they are like.
in comparison to apple earbuds, beats pro blows apple earbuds out of the water every time. even with it’s muffled highs, apple earbuds just sound muffled in comparison to beats pro.

Jul 11, 2014 at 2:41 PM Post #26 of 106
i have beats pro. and i listened to them for about a week.
i need to say what heaphones i have in order for you to understand where i am coming from and to where i am coming to. the only earphones i used were apple earbuds, have loads of them. and nixon headphones, the one that is all plastic with silicone covers. the nixon has no sound isolation, and apple earbuds have no bass, they do but to get the bass you need to sound isolate those.
in comparison to those that i already have and listen to every day, listened to every day, beats pro is more clear on sound. nixon is not bad, but beats pro are more clear.
having said that i do not have sennheiser 25 or audio technica m50 that djs seem to like using every day, to compare the beats pro to. the beats pro that i have is non monster version because there is no monster logo on them, only beats is written on each side of the headphone metal things.
the muffs on the beats pro make the sound more bassy, and they sound isolate quite a bit. this is also make them sound like listening to sound like through a wood. if i remove the soft ear muffs, you get less bass and the sound is clearer, the higher pitched sound is more audible. and also the earmuffs introduce quite a bit of space, between speakers and ears, almost like a 1-1.5 cm tube, where sound probably mises of different frequencies and makes sound more like bassy and higher frequencies are not very well audible, which makes them sound like listening through wood.
honestly i still have not decided if i like them or not. and there is a chance i might sell them and buy sennheiser 25 or audiotechnica m50, since no one see me at home wearing them anyway. and for outside i bought beats tour, they should come in a while, i will listen to them, to see what they are like.
in comparison to apple earbuds, beats pro blows apple earbuds out of the water every time. even with it’s muffled highs, apple earbuds just sound muffled in comparison to beats pro.

Honestly, the ath-m50 will sound too bass light, as well as the sennheiser 25. Trying to be as unbiased as possible here. The denon ah-d600 are in nearly every way better than beats pro. My friend and I lent each other them for awhile, his pro, my d600, and we both found the d600 sounding far better. They still have a nice v shaped sig, but it's not ridiculously bass boosted.

Point is, everyone recommends the two headphones you're thinking of getting, but if you like a good deal of bass, you're not going to like them. I would do more research before coming to the conclusion. This isn't 2011 anymore though, d600 is imo the best headphone to recommend people coming from beats, since it's far more accurate but still keeps a nice forward, bass boosted sig.

Jul 11, 2014 at 3:29 PM Post #27 of 106
Honestly, the ath-m50 will sound too bass light, as well as the sennheiser 25. Trying to be as unbiased as possible here. The denon ah-d600 are in nearly every way better than beats pro. My friend and I lent each other them for awhile, his pro, my d600, and we both found the d600 sounding far better. They still have a nice v shaped sig, but it's not ridiculously bass boosted.

Point is, everyone recommends the two headphones you're thinking of getting, but if you like a good deal of bass, you're not going to like them. I would do more research before coming to the conclusion. This isn't 2011 anymore though, d600 is imo the best headphone to recommend people coming from beats, since it's far more accurate but still keeps a nice forward, bass boosted sig.

Spoken like somebody who is selling a D600! Totally joking man, I have done the same thing recently so believe me, just having fun with you. I have heard that the 600 sounds quite good in the way you are describing.

Jul 11, 2014 at 6:32 PM Post #28 of 106
Dunu DN-1000's. It has a similar sound signature to the Beats tour but is better in all aspects of sound including the bass. It is definitely worth $60 more than the Beats Tour!
Note: I am talking about the original Tour's

Jul 11, 2014 at 10:01 PM Post #29 of 106
thanks, i’ll figure something out. note that beats pro do not have enough bass for me, i put them through audio hijack app with a bass preset, so that i get enough bass. this preset if anyone interested http://cl.ly/0l2y0X2x3Z3b
i get the point that sennheiser 25 have more clear sound with less bass. and some other options that were suggested here.
and yes, i will have beats tour v2, when they come here in a week or two.

Jul 11, 2014 at 10:14 PM Post #30 of 106
Yea, I'm not exactly trying to advertise, but of all the headphones I've owned, it's the easiest to convert beats people to audiophiles with the d600, because it still retains a good bassy, in your face sig, but extends deeper, has a wider stage with better seperation, yadda yadda. seriously though, let most beats listeners try your headphones and they'll say something along the lines of "not enough bass" and then take the headphones off immediately. Then you tell them the price and the only redeeming factor is that beats are noise cancelling. But hey, if I wanted that, I could just use the ue6000 at $80 (Which sounds extremely similar to beats pro [maybe just a little better] or Bose qc15 .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back