What's more important: Musicality or Detail?
Jul 13, 2007 at 2:39 AM Post #77 of 96
Oh, it's musicality all the way for me.

I have heard IEM's that were VERY detailed, but sadly they lacked musicality for me, the music wasn't very involving. For me, that was not acceptable.

Jul 13, 2007 at 5:20 AM Post #78 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A well recorded piece of music with all the details in place can be absolutely amazing through a good set of speakers in a good listening room. I really, really miss the old house, sitting in the sweet spot where the speakers were placed 10 ft apart but the soundstage spread a full 16 to 18 feet or more with imaging defined in exacting 3-D, up-down, in and out and side to side. You could close you eyes and the performers were THERE! Unless a listener has experienced that sort of thing, it just can't be described.

I could not agree more. I had that setup once in college while doing some recording stuff. It took me 10 years to get it back again with my current setup. I love headphones, but a carefully tuned, tweaked, placed and powered speaker setup in an accoustically favorable room evokes the feeling of sound, not just the hearing of it.

As for the vote, I'm not sure the two terms - musicality and details - are universally defined, nor do I think they are mutually exclusive, making my vote hard to give. . . .

Jul 13, 2007 at 6:08 AM Post #79 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by terance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i think hella is a funny word.

I notice it's sort of a regional type thing. Kind of like "pop", "soda", or "coke" when you ask for a soda. People use different words in different areas of the country. Hella doesn't sound weird to me at all.

Jul 13, 2007 at 7:09 AM Post #80 of 96
I voted the details, because if the source has details, we can tune it musicality by using amplifier, cables. But if lack of details, then it means you compromise it permanently.

Jul 13, 2007 at 8:28 AM Post #81 of 96
I vote details. No question for me.

Thats why I came here! Looking to hear as much detail as possible, and thats what makes me smile and be happy, hearing the details of a singers breath, fingers on a fret board or an illusion of soundstage, constructed entirely of details.

If I know how a bass guitar note should sound, it doesn't matter how incredibly musically a system reproduces that, if I can't hear the individual vibrations of the string which I know are on the recording.

Jul 13, 2007 at 8:47 AM Post #82 of 96
The joke is: Musicality is detail when the artist is talented and recorded well! :wink:

Jul 13, 2007 at 10:25 AM Post #83 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by amphead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The joke is: Musicality is detail when the artist is talented and recorded well! :wink:

Not really, it is a part of it IMO, but there is headphones and speakers especially that can be very detailed but don't have the timing and speed, which makes the music messy and irritating to listen to, this is not musical to me, I like something that is good at both, D2000
icon10.gif

Jul 13, 2007 at 10:33 AM Post #85 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenkelby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think what he means is that music is made up entirely of details, digitally it's 1s and 0s converted into sound.

No details means silence.

Sound isn't digital.

Jul 13, 2007 at 10:39 AM Post #86 of 96
Both should be an option in the poll
biggrin.gif

Each needs the other in a, errrr, 'headphone environment' (yeeeek).

Jul 13, 2007 at 3:48 PM Post #87 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenkelby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think what he means is that music is made up entirely of details, digitally it's 1s and 0s converted into sound.

No details means silence.

Do you think he means that? And I see your point. Detail IS very important it's always great to find new things you have never heard before in your music, but in the end it iritates me more if a headphone has not so good musicality but good detail, than the other way around.

Jul 13, 2007 at 11:29 PM Post #88 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sound isn't digital.

It is before it comes off a CD! And I would say that at the very lowest level, everything is digital. Either an electron is there or it isn't. I know what you mean though, and of course sound isn't what most people would call digital, thats why I said the digital details (on CD) are converted into sound.

Any missing 1s and 0s equals missing sounds.

I think most of us are deciding on musicality or detail based on our understanding of the definitions.

Jul 13, 2007 at 11:33 PM Post #89 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gurra1980 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you think he means that? And I see your point. Detail IS very important it's always great to find new things you have never heard before in your music, but in the end it iritates me more if a headphone has not so good musicality but good detail, than the other way around.

I don't know, I'm assuming so! I understand what you mean too. Sound full of small detail but no musicality sucks. But I would say that if all the details are correct and present, and correctly reproduced, then you automatically have good musicality, or tone, timbre, whatever. Those things we hear as musicality are actually just more details to me. There is nothing else in the sound except details, to me.

Thats my understanding but I'm sure it's not most peoples.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back