what's more important, a good DAC or a Good Amp?
Oct 18, 2015 at 6:50 PM Post #121 of 129
Ultimately you'll have to decide "how much is too much" or whathaveyou - that's the subjective piece.

"how much is too much" when it comes to what...?

Nothing is too much... BRING OUT THE GOODS!

I also was recommended to look at "STAX" HPs.  Do you think the electrostatics would be good for "Fast" music? It seems that's what they are designed for????

Oct 18, 2015 at 8:05 PM Post #122 of 129

"how much is too much" when it comes to what...?

Nothing is too much... BRING OUT THE GOODS!

I also was recommended to look at "STAX" HPs.  Do you think the electrostatics would be good for "Fast" music? It seems that's what they are designed for????

I don't think they were designed specifically for fast music.  They were designed to bring sound reproduction to the next level; higher levels of realism.  The superior, faster decay does indeed make them better for fast music, but they are potentially better for everything.  But of course, there is a rather small amount of electrostatic headphones.  There's Koss which I've never heard, there's KingSound which is unimpressive aside from their transparency for the price (but the more affordable Stax headphones are probably much better in every category), there's Stax, and there is the upcoming limited production Sennheiser statement product ("Orpheus 2").

I've heard most modern flagships and other Hi-Fi headphones, and I think both the SR-009 and SR-007 are a significant step-up over everything else I've heard.  I'd never spend $1k or more for a non-electrostat, to me it's a waste of money, except maybe for a very unique, beautiful sounding headphone, namely the Sony MDR-R10 in good condition (which I'd prefer to hear first).

Oct 18, 2015 at 8:11 PM Post #123 of 129

I don't think they were designed specifically for fast music.  They were designed to bring sound reproduction to the next level; higher levels of realism.  The superior, faster decay does indeed make them better for fast music, but they are potentially better for everything.  But of course, there is a rather small amount of electrostatic headphones.  There's Koss which I've never heard, there's KingSound which is unimpressive aside from their transparency for the price (but the more affordable Stax headphones are probably much better in every category), there's Stax, and there is the upcoming limited production Sennheiser statement product ("Orpheus 2").

I've heard most modern flagships and other Hi-Fi headphones, and I think both the SR-009 and SR-007 are a significant step-up over everything else I've heard.  I'd never spend $1k or more for a non-electrostat, to me it's a waste of money, except maybe for a very unique, beautiful sounding headphone, namely the Sony MDR-R10 in good condition (which I'd prefer to hear first).

Thanks for the info, much appreciated...

The STAX-007/9 sounds like it would be a great headphone, but the costs associated are NUTS.

Do you think it would be worth it to invest in like a 004/005? or...???? (not sure if those are the same models, I tohught htey were 407 and 507, but Idk lol).

Or do you have any other recommendations for a nice fast type?  I'm assuming that's where we are going to go with these headphone recommendations for me...  But IDk :frowning2:((.

Since you've listened to most headphones, it seems you would have a good idea :)?  Thanks!

Oct 18, 2015 at 8:18 PM Post #124 of 129

Thanks for the info, much appreciated...

The STAX-007/9 sounds like it would be a great headphone, but the costs associated are NUTS.

Do you think it would be worth it to invest in like a 004/005? or...???? (not sure if those are the same models, I tohught htey were 407 and 507, but Idk lol).

Or do you have any other recommendations for a nice fast type?  I'm assuming that's where we are going to go with these headphone recommendations for me...  But IDk :frowning2:((.

Since you've listened to most headphones, it seems you would have a good idea :)?  Thanks!

The SR-009's price is definitely way up there.  An SR-007 from Japan however (e.g. Pricejapan or even Amazon) is under $1800, putting it in line with today's more modestly priced flagships (Sennheiser HD 800 and AKG K812).  The price of the HE1000 and LCD-4 are just totally unacceptable I think.

I haven't heard the SR-207, SR-307, SR-407, or SR-507, but their reputation is out there.  The SR-507 is generally viewed as the most detailed headphone for under $1k, and it has that electrostatic decay.  They aren't bass monsters though.  Grado is popular for faster music as well.  You probably want a headphone with fast decay, great treble extension, and treble that's not laid back at all.

Oct 18, 2015 at 8:27 PM Post #125 of 129

The SR-009's price is definitely way up there.  An SR-007 from Japan however (e.g. Pricejapan or even Amazon) is under $1800, putting it in line with today's more modestly priced flagships (Sennheiser HD 800 and AKG K812).  The price of the HE1000 and LCD-4 are just totally unacceptable I think.

I haven't heard the SR-207, SR-307, SR-407, or SR-507, but their reputation is out there.  The SR-507 is generally viewed as the most detailed headphone for under $1k, and it has that electrostatic decay.  They aren't bass monsters though.  Grado is popular for faster music as well.  You probably want a headphone with fast decay, great treble extension, and treble that's not laid back at all.

Thanks.  I spoke to someone in the Grado thread about the 325e's and he said that my music wanted a more "V-Shaped" signature.  I am nto sure if I gave him a full list, but I think I gave him all of the songs I did for my other threads....

I could try out the Grado 325e's myself and see if it's something I WANT since "TheCabloCo" has it for rent (I think), but not sure.....  the 'e' seems to be the least Treble of the revisions so I don't know...  I'm not sure if he was maybe confused with my comments, so I wasn't sure about them myself...

I definitely feel the difference with this software enhancement of "MaxxTreble."  Everything's is so alive now.....  

I feel like just going to rent a bunch of different pairs and see what's what.  Some people say I should buy stuff on Amazon also, and just return them but don't want to do that too much....

Oct 18, 2015 at 9:15 PM Post #127 of 129
  Yeah Amazon might start to catch on if you do that a bunch of times.

Yeah some people said that you should do it over time, one guy mentioend someone had their account locked after doingl ike 20 pairs or something in a short period of time... lolol....

Sep 25, 2019 at 1:31 PM Post #128 of 129
Can you please tell me that the Arcam Diva A80 pairs well with Revolver RW 33 ? Right now i have Burson Playmate V6 Vivid running as a dac and a old amp, Teac ah300. It is a overkill to buy the arcam amp ?

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2019 at 5:23 AM Post #129 of 129
DACs are generally good, and most are somewhat clean. I would say a better investment in money would be amperage. A good amp can go a long way, that being said, im a firm believer in spending more money on the end that matters most and actually hits your ear drum. (headphones/speakers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back