What's in a McDonald's hamburger?
Feb 23, 2010 at 2:23 AM Post #76 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioNovice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
<big nsip>

That's pretty much all I need to tell me what's in that crap. I'm guessin' the young'n's who still support McDonalds will be making this same revelation in about 10 years, lol...

Enjoy it while you can. That is, while your body can handle it. At some point in time, you gotta start putting something of quality in your body, because it gets fussy.

The problem has become that the corporations behind fast food and processed food have been adding more and more of the addictive elements of salt, sugar and fat, (along with all kinds of other chemicals and additives) and, unlike your experience where you were able to eventually wean yourself off of the junk, a whole lot of kids (and adults) cannot break the habit. It's a bit like the vicious cycle of nicotine and the various other additives tobacco makers use more and more to hook smokers. The result is the most appalling rate of obesity in both adults and children, not just here in the US, but spreading throughout some other Western countries. Again, take the time to watch the Jamie Oliver speech I linked to.

BTW, I believe there is a scene in Food Inc. in one of the very few meat processing facilities that would allow them to film inside the plant. That company produced the pink matter (meat filler) that I believe the article that is the topic of the thread is addressing.

Feb 23, 2010 at 5:12 AM Post #77 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zarathustra19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Before I opened the thread, I thought "Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun."

BK is much better and tastes almost like it does on a real grill.

Yet isn't McDonald's still the only major FF burger chain to claim that they use "all (100%) beef" in their patties?

I'm gonna miss my occasional Big Mac, and it makes me angry that they've reportedly been doing this "ammonia-treated parasitical disease (cow dung)" thing for years
angry_face.gif

Feb 23, 2010 at 5:53 AM Post #79 of 105
This is from the NY Times:

"From 2005 to 2009, Beef Products had a rate of 36 positive results for salmonella per 1,000 tests, compared to a rate of nine positive results per 1,000 tests for the other suppliers, according to statistics from the program."

Ammonia killing salmonella?

"In 1993, anhydrous ammonia was the third most produced chemical by volume in the US. The farming industry uses approximately one third of the ammonia produced in the US as a component of fertilizer and animal feed. Industrial injury most often results from ammonia leaks in fertilizer tanks and hoses and toxic ammonia levels in animal buildings. Swine confinement buildings are particularly notorious for containing toxic levels of ammonia that often exceed threshold limit values. Because ammonia is liberated during combustion of nylon, silk, wood, and melamine, firefighters also are at risk for exposure to this irritant gas."

Beef Products states that they hope in 5 years from now, that ammonia treated beef by-products will be in 100% of hamburgers in the U.S. Here is a Beef Products video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCJ79...layer_embedded

Feb 23, 2010 at 4:58 PM Post #80 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoflatlines /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think McDonald's burgers are pretty good regardless of what it's made of.

-100... It´s the local joints that is anything!

Feb 23, 2010 at 5:28 PM Post #81 of 105
There's also the price factor. Sure, we'd all love to eat organically raised kobe beef or hand-fed baby lamb chops braised in extra virgin olive oil and truffles. But lets get real. The average american can hardly pay his mortgage. And fast food is meant to be on-the-go-food. That's when people eat it, when they're out doing stuff and just want to grab a bit. That supersize me guy was being a little ridiculous living ONLY on McDs. Nobody does that. You grab fast food when youre out on the town. And its cheap. If I go to a nice sit down restaurant and order their nice looking cheeseburger it's $10 plus tip and my entire lunch hour gone. For $5 I can fill my gut in McDs in 10 minutes and still have time to hit the record store. I like fast food because it's, well, fast. Can't stand sitting in cafes and restaurants waiting for my grub. Some people make this quasi religion of food. I just want to throw something down and get on with my day. Tuna sandwich and chips is as good as a fine filet mignon to me, I get the same pleasure from it. McD's? Not very often. Personally, I'm a Jack in the Box guy - its even cheaper. Yeah, its nice to eat good food, but odds are its not going to make you live that much longer. Seems like every healthy person I known who jogs and eats organic wheat does great until the doctor calls and says "Can you come in to talk about that lump in your neck...?" I'm 52 and I've seen more than one of my healthy friends go that way. If there's cancer in your geneology, watch out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drag0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Triangle Pub one mile from my home makes the best Hamburger! Hard to finish the large one, but the small one is big enough. Burger, Onion rings,and a beer for about $7.00usd.
Triangle Pub - Fine Food & Drinks - Eastport Manor Road Eastport NY 11941

$7?! Damn, where the hell is Eastport New York? And what decade did it time warp out of? I pay $7 just for the suds.

Feb 23, 2010 at 9:52 PM Post #83 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by AVALover5498 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm glad I don't have to worry about all the issues associated with the consumption of meat. I'm a vegan. =)

yeah, all those issues... like eating delicious, palatable food!

Feb 23, 2010 at 10:09 PM Post #84 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by AVALover5498 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm glad I don't have to worry about all the issues associated with the consumption of meat. I'm a vegan. =)

You're safe. Salmonella and E. Coli never turn up in vegetables like spinach, jalapeno peppers or tomatoes.
rolleyes.gif

You just continue being better than the rest of us.

Feb 24, 2010 at 3:55 AM Post #85 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bender Rodriguez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're safe. Salmonella and E. Coli never turn up in vegetables like spinach, jalapeno peppers or tomatoes.
rolleyes.gif

You just continue being better than the rest of us.

Botulism never comes up vegetables! Especially not in that widely distributed vegetable cocktail years ago!

Oh wait...
wink.gif

Feb 24, 2010 at 5:19 AM Post #86 of 105
Been at least a couple of years since I went to eat junk food. Though in retrospect I kinda miss the juicy hamburgers they make, doesn't feel right after eatin' 'em. A feeling of guilt that always lingered in the back of my head that I will gain unnecessary weight whenever I chew and swallow one of those which doesn't even fill my stomach half full used to question my conscience. I plan to stay that way for a very long time. :]

Feb 24, 2010 at 6:06 AM Post #87 of 105
This thread is starting to make me hungry, lol...
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 24, 2010 at 6:19 AM Post #88 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by grokit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This thread is starting to make me hungry, lol...
evil_smiley.gif

and I thought I was the only one!

while watching a video about food manufacturing back in college, everyone in the entire classroom cringed at the sight of a pink log of mechanically separated chicken being pressed through sieves.

all that went through my mind was, "boy, i could go for some chicken right about now."

Feb 24, 2010 at 1:54 PM Post #89 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's also the price factor. Sure, we'd all love to eat organically raised kobe beef or hand-fed baby lamb chops braised in extra virgin olive oil and truffles. But lets get real. The average american can hardly pay his mortgage. And fast food is meant to be on-the-go-food. That's when people eat it, when they're out doing stuff and just want to grab a bit. That supersize me guy was being a little ridiculous living ONLY on McDs. Nobody does that. You grab fast food when youre out on the town. And its cheap. If I go to a nice sit down restaurant and order their nice looking cheeseburger it's $10 plus tip and my entire lunch hour gone. For $5 I can fill my gut in McDs in 10 minutes and still have time to hit the record store. I like fast food because it's, well, fast. Can't stand sitting in cafes and restaurants waiting for my grub. Some people make this quasi religion of food. I just want to throw something down and get on with my day. Tuna sandwich and chips is as good as a fine filet mignon to me, I get the same pleasure from it. McD's? Not very often. Personally, I'm a Jack in the Box guy - its even cheaper. Yeah, its nice to eat good food, but odds are its not going to make you live that much longer. Seems like every healthy person I known who jogs and eats organic wheat does great until the doctor calls and says "Can you come in to talk about that lump in your neck...?" I'm 52 and I've seen more than one of my healthy friends go that way. If there's cancer in your geneology, watch out.

Everything about this post makes me sad. I'd honestly rather eat a plate of boiled potatoes than McD.

All the countries that make a 'quasi-religion' of food have people that don't get heart diseases, diabetes and other nasty things nearly as much. And the people that live in places where they eat well are physically much more attractive. They also tend to live in beautiful environments. I just cannot believe people don't care about these things. Maybe you have to see it to believe it. And it has NOTHING to do with money at all.

Crap in -> crap out. That's true for more things than HiFi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back