What's in a McDonald's hamburger?
Dec 31, 2009 at 5:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 105

raisin

Headphoneus Supremus
They refer to it as " pink slime", it used to be used ONLY in pet food, but since 2001 a savings of 3 cents a pound has persuaded McDonald's that Americans would love to feed their family's dogfood as a treat.

Here is the article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/31/us...nted=1&_r=1&hp

please, please, please, let them know you won't eat this ****!

Soylent Pink today, Soylent Green tomorrow!

Dec 31, 2009 at 6:05 PM Post #2 of 105
That link is 404'd for me.

Dec 31, 2009 at 6:14 PM Post #3 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by logwed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That link is 404'd for me.

Same...

Dec 31, 2009 at 6:26 PM Post #4 of 105
OMG! It's the corporate man keeping the news from breaking!

Dec 31, 2009 at 6:50 PM Post #7 of 105
THIS is a good reason to make your own ground beef.

I hate buying pre-ground beef at the grocery store. in fact, more times than not its grey inside instead of pink. or they'll make the red/fresh side be at the top part of the shrink wrap package but the older part is underneath. I've had store clerks tell me 'it cant be avoided' yet I do get fresh ground beef that is pure red all thru-out and has no dark grey or brown areas at all.

but this does not help with buying restaurant food. god knows what we're getting there! ;(

sad news. anything for a buck ;(

Dec 31, 2009 at 7:02 PM Post #8 of 105
"In 2004, (school) lunch officials increased the amount of Beef Products meat allowed in its hamburgers to 15 percent"

I always thought there was something wrong with school burgers and I avoided them like the plague. Now I have my answer.

Dec 31, 2009 at 7:03 PM Post #9 of 105
Eat steak once a week. You get to have beef in the best way. Fast food is marginal for you in your 20s or 30s but will kill you in your 40s and 50s. Fast food cost the same or more than to just buy regular food in the store.

Dec 31, 2009 at 7:07 PM Post #10 of 105
buying regular food from the store does not work for many lifestyles, though. when you're on the road or out for lunch at work, you don't have a lot of choices.

I now understand why BK is selling double cheeseburgers for $1. I now see how they can do it. (and, ...., blech!)

I guess no more cheap fast-food burgers for me. what a shame but I don't think I can bring myself to order these anymore, knowing this.

it used to go without saying that hot dogs and sausages had many 'strange things' in them; but ground beef *used to be* sacred (heh, little joke in there)
wink.gif

Dec 31, 2009 at 7:17 PM Post #12 of 105
I know this is going to turn out to be Internet boloney. It has the smell of one of those viral rumours. For instance, a 3 second Google search turns up this article. NOT ONE MENTION of McDonalds - same story.

Vegan.com — Recipes, Resources, & Information

I'm really tired of McDonalds bashing. Sure fast food isn't good for you, but I seen a lot of snotty nosed kids with bad hygenine make "healthy" blenders at the mall, too. Its cliche and trite at this point, but people won't give up attacking McDonalds, mainly because is so symbolic of American corporations - and an easy target.

As far as these viral stories, I work as a newspaper editor, and this is why newspapers exist. This thread has 8 people shaking this heads with disgust immediately. At newspapers we do things called "FACT CHECKING" I recommended Net readers do the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back