Whats good for LOUD surroundings?
Jun 1, 2002 at 6:25 AM Post #16 of 34
Quote:

will using my hd280s turned at a low volume mowing a lawn hurt my ears?

No, but here is what you should do:

Listen to your HD280s with whatever you will have while you mow your lawn BEFORE you go out to mow your lawn. Set the volume just as loud as it is comfortable (normal listening level) while you are in the silent house.

Now, go out and fire up the lawnmower, and RESIST the temptation to turn up the volume of your music.

Assuming you don't listen at dangerous levels normally, you don't have to worry about hearing damage while you mow your lawn. Your music might not be loud enough, but at least you will be safe.

Personally, I say screw it and listen after I mow the lawn. I get pretty sweaty when I mow our lawn and I would rather not subject my HD280s to that.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 1, 2002 at 7:16 AM Post #17 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by beni
heh...get some rock concert loudspeakers, crank them up to 140dB or so and turn them upside-down over the lawn. They'll mow it by lighting all the grass on fire. It might not look great, but the grass sure will be short and you'll enjoy the music for 30 seconds until you go deaf.

How does that set the grass on fire?
confused.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jun 1, 2002 at 3:23 PM Post #19 of 34
I think I have an idea for myself, since you guys are so obsessed about these etymotics, i might get them then throw on some earmuffs over them. This is essentially what I do when I'm driving around on the loudest of equipment, just with foam earbuds instead of etymotics. What do ya think, good idea?

Jun 1, 2002 at 3:34 PM Post #20 of 34
Good idea, maybe after you use the etys you can toss yer earmuffs
biggrin.gif

Or maybe not
errrr.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jun 1, 2002 at 8:46 PM Post #23 of 34
Why not pay some kid $10 to mow your lawn, while you listen to your music, wherever you want? (preferably, as far away from that stupid mower as possible)
biggrin.gif

Jun 1, 2002 at 10:20 PM Post #28 of 34
Actually, i dont mow my own lawn, Nezz and I both work at a golf course, we mow there!!! I pay other people to mow my own lawn

Jun 2, 2002 at 6:33 AM Post #29 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by radrd

No, but here is what you should do:

Listen to your HD280s with whatever you will have while you mow your lawn BEFORE you go out to mow your lawn. Set the volume just as loud as it is comfortable (normal listening level) while you are in the silent house.

Now, go out and fire up the lawnmower, and RESIST the temptation to turn up the volume of your music.

Assuming you don't listen at dangerous levels normally, you don't have to worry about hearing damage while you mow your lawn. Your music might not be loud enough, but at least you will be safe.

Personally, I say screw it and listen after I mow the lawn. I get pretty sweaty when I mow our lawn and I would rather not subject my HD280s to that.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks, I do do that
smily_headphones1.gif
. The music isnt very loud, but I can hear it. I bought the headphones to use, them, so why not use them at every oppurtunity ?

Jun 2, 2002 at 7:34 AM Post #30 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by BBalls
........ I dont want little things that stick in my ears, I dont care how comfortable they are, I hate wearing ear buds, thats all I do all day long, my ears hurt from the all foam noise reducing buds, and music doesnt even come through those damn pink little things, its killing me. Also, I dont think noise cancelling will work that great either....they seem to just kinda lower the volume of everything you hear, and maybe cut out on some awkard frequencies but thats about it. Im looking for something comfortable, versatile, cuts down on lots of unwanted noise and most of all sounds great??

The Etymotics stick in your ear, and that is the first thing you mentioned that you DIDN'T want. Even if it did, no matter how great the isolation of the Etymotics, using them next to a lawnmower will still cover much of the subtle detail you gain by using the Etymotics. It would be a rather egregious waste of money for the Etymotics unless you planned to use them at home too.

Your best bet is the Sennheiser 280. It provides good isolation, should give you good enough sound quality considering your application, doesn't stick in your ear and should be reasonably comfortable. I don't quite understand what you mean by versatile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back