What's good enough?
Jul 7, 2009 at 2:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

boomana

Headphoneus Supremus
So this is headphone gear related, but since there's not really a forum to talk about complete systems, I thought I'd drop this into the members' lounge.

I've been lucky in that I've able to own a range of headphones and gear, and have been luckier to have heard a lot more (get to meets, people, if you can). Though I have some rather high-end stuff, I often find myself listening to something "lesser" and thinking, "Damn, this is really good. I could be happy with this." I'm not giving up my dream rigs anytime soon, but I have been doing a lot of questioning about what's "good enough" lately, and have learned a lot about myself and tastes in the process. There's a thread in the headphone forum right now that's similar, but since I really believe it's never about only one headphone, I thought I start a similar thread that would be focused on whole rigs.

Anyway, systems I've owned that meet my personal threshold, meaning I'm enjoying the music completely, and not wishing I had on other headphones:

Denon DCP100 > mini^3 > Yuin PK1s.
ipod/macbook > ESW9s or ESW10 (amp optional)
macbook > pico amp/dac > HF2 (new home listening fav)
Exemplar Denon 2900 > SP Extreme Platinum > HD650s/600s
ipod > UE11s (after these, I simply can't go back to other iems I once enjoyed)

I'm hoping others list what works for them without judgment and a focus on costs (if someone's threshold is an HE-90 rig or ipod earbuds, either is fine).

Jul 7, 2009 at 3:14 PM Post #4 of 46
This is an interesting thread because, if I think about it, I'd have a long list of criteria for any single given component (ie: Headphones have to be open, warm and comfy, and perhaps durable for outdoor use). But when I think about my goal where the entire system is concerned, the ideal I strive for becomes much more simple: Warm and musical enough to boogie, detailed enough for me to get lost in it.

Amazing how painstaking it can be, testing individual components and assessing each one to see if they fit your needs, while the overall goal can be as simple as "good enough to make me smile".

Jul 7, 2009 at 3:23 PM Post #5 of 46
If it sounds good enough, it is good enough.

Jul 7, 2009 at 3:50 PM Post #7 of 46
Sony SCD-XA3000ES > RSA HR-2 > Sennheiser HD650

I'm happy with my rig, it's not bad for classical music. However I will upgrade once I get the time to.

Jul 7, 2009 at 3:57 PM Post #8 of 46
I'm happy with my current gear, it's certainly good enough for me.
The main reason I still buy new gear every so often is curiosity.

Jul 7, 2009 at 4:47 PM Post #9 of 46
The other day I pull out my first mp3 player bought in 1999 and listen to the 128kbps tunes that I synced back in 2000. Well, I still enjoy those songs as much as I did 10 yrs ago - that really makes me wonder about the time I spent here.

Jul 7, 2009 at 5:33 PM Post #10 of 46
Headphone rigs that satisfice

Portable
• 1st gen shuffle > Koss KSC-35/Shure E4
• iMod > tomahawk > ESW9/Shure SE500 with custom tips
Office
• Mac desktop > Corda Aria > DT880 ('03)
Home
• Cambridge 840C > Portal Panache > K1000/Denon D5000 (markl modded)/Grado SR200

What I consider to be a "good enough" rig appears to depend on a variety of things including:
1) environmental context - when I am in my main listening room I tend to be more critical
2) my activities - serious versus light reading, walking the dogs, alone with eyes closed, exercising
3) what I am listening for - listening to Internet radio with speakers, concentrating on the music (I remember ignoring the speakers I was auditioning at an audio shop the first time I heard Ry Cooder's Paradise and Lunch)

I suspect also that experience and the loss of high frequency sensitivity also contributes to a drift of my standards for good enough.

Jul 7, 2009 at 6:09 PM Post #11 of 46
good enough = ipod + ibuds.

But thats within the context of never having heard anything. I think the only way something will EVER be good enough is when you've heard everything, and curiosity, upgradetitis, etc... won't matter anymore. Until you do that, nothing can ever be good enough because you never have a feeling/judgement of what is actually good compared to other stuff out there (since you don't know).

Jul 7, 2009 at 6:55 PM Post #13 of 46
iPod > Pico amp/dac> UE-11 or D5000

I would like to get a DAC1 Pre, a Raptor, a P-51, Lisa III, some PS-1000 and a few other cans but I've learned that in this hobby most changes are subtle and still cost big $$.

Jul 7, 2009 at 7:01 PM Post #14 of 46
I've been satisfied for quite a while with my H320 -> Total bithead (?) -> (ER-4P/S, MS-1, KSC-35) portable setup and my Fubar -> DIY amp -> HF-1 setup. Both of those have been good enough for several years.

I didn't feel the urge at all to upgrade until I randomly visited this site again after a good hiatus to find the existance of the HF2 pre-order. I figured I liked the HF-1 so much I'd be happy to replace the MS-1 with the HF-1 and the HF-1 with the HF-2.

Not sure what I'll do with the MS-1 yet...

Jul 7, 2009 at 7:05 PM Post #15 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...the overall goal can be as simple as good enough to make me smile...

Definitly should be part of the goal! Foot-tapping is better and needing to get up and dance is primo! Remember, it's about the music. Without music, there's no need for gear.

My current gear is pretty good and has kept me happy a long time. I was away from music for a while until joining Head-Fi and rekindling my love of music. I expect to make upgrades here and there as well as keeping an old favorite or two. As long as my music sound takes me deep into it, I've achieved something good enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back