What's good enough?
Jul 7, 2009 at 7:49 PM Post #16 of 46
iPhone --> ESW9
Has been my only rig for about a year. Added a IE8 recently, which is all I need for now.

Macbook --> Pico --> ESW9
Really liked this rig when I had it some time ago. The perfect transportable setup for school, office and Starbucks. In hindsight I shouldn't have sold the Pico. Looking to pick up one again sometime soon.

Jul 7, 2009 at 9:12 PM Post #17 of 46
My rig is good enough for pretty much everything but classical. I'm looking into getting dedicated classical 'phones though.

Which isn't going to help my wallet when I discover they are lousy with the Little Dot I+ though.

Jul 7, 2009 at 9:49 PM Post #18 of 46
home: PS Audio Digital Link III >> WA6SE >> W3000. I love this rig!
portable: iPod Classic >> ESW9/CK100.

I need to get new DAP and probably throw some money for the amp too. About the home system, I'm looking for the new DAC. It's not that I don't like the DigIII but I want the one that have the switchable voltage (100-240V) since I will move back to my home country soon.

Jul 7, 2009 at 10:41 PM Post #19 of 46
Xonar D2 (w Dolby Headphone) > Sony STR-D511 (old prologic receiver) > Goldring NS1000 (with active noise cancellation on).

It shouldn't be good but my gosh it's blissful.

Jul 7, 2009 at 11:22 PM Post #20 of 46
iPod nano -> UM2
The portable rig I used for a couple of years (until the UM2 cable shorted), and kept me quite happy.

Jul 7, 2009 at 11:25 PM Post #21 of 46
Funny you brought up this subject Boomana, I had this exact conversation with another local HFier recently.

I too have had the privilege of entertaining high end gear and somehow I always seem most content when plugged into my vintage headphones, 80's edition CDP and homebrewed amp. I know it is not the greatest system out there but it really is good enough. It doesn't stop me experimenting but at least I know what it is I like and am content with.
wink.gif
..dB

Jul 7, 2009 at 11:27 PM Post #22 of 46
I definitely go through this thought exercise a lot.

iphone->ESW9 is definitely good enough
denon da500->srm1/mk2->esp950 may be good enough
duet->hf2 is definitely good enough
sony ps-x500->hagerman bugle->blue hawaii->esp950 is good enough
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 7, 2009 at 11:30 PM Post #23 of 46
This is a much more fascinating and intriguing question than it might perhaps ever appear to be.

Where, how, and indeed, why, does one draw lines with regard to what one considers to be "satisfactory" in this hobby, and how are the conditions of those factors met, altered and influanced?

The short answer for me is that an "enough" rig would be along the lines of an Ergo Amp1 -> Jecklin Float 2/Ergo 2 or a Stax 2020/2050 (Although I should much like to hear the Koss ESP-950 in competition with where those two stand for me).

What jumps to the front of my mind, is that those of us who are fortuitous enough to have gone though the often protracted process of "that last 10%", perhaps several times, are, once we have, or believe we have, found it, most reluctant to give it up.

Tis perhaps that the downgrade to the ears might be harsher pain for them than is the prior suffering of the upgrade to the wallet.

Good enough for me, I think, is that source-amp-headphone combination which offers 1+1+1 = 4 (which is the whole basis of synergy) and which has eliminated all of the great shortcomings of lower end rigs, unamped rigs, or indeed, despite their strengths in their own class, better portable rigs ( I would wage the Amp1->Ergo 2 against a SR-001 any day).

Here, for the moment, endith the rambling.

Jul 8, 2009 at 12:40 AM Post #25 of 46
If I stripped down to the minimum, I'd use a Sennheiser HD-600 dri en by a Gilmore Lite. For sources, I'd pick the Sony SCD-CE595 and a Rega Planar 3 with a Denon DL-103 and a modest solid state phono preamp. I'd probably add an old FM tuner, too, with a homebrew antenna.

Jul 8, 2009 at 12:49 AM Post #26 of 46
I"ve been grinning for a while. Still have a move or two to make but I'm pretty well done. The economy has my attention for now.

Jul 8, 2009 at 12:58 AM Post #27 of 46
I just asked myself this question after I installed the Topkit on my iBasso D10 w/ an iHP-120 and ER4S. My conclusion is this is good enough and I could live with this. Perhaps, I might get a custom IEM in the future, perhaps not.

Jul 8, 2009 at 3:36 AM Post #29 of 46
Really anything that is dynamic and makes me get into the music is good enough for me.

I go walking with a Cowon D2 and Sennheiser PX100, and it is enough to make me happy. It is punchy and I get into the music, mission accomplished.

Obviously, the more expensive stuff I have is what I listen to when I am not out, and it sounds much better. Then again, it is MUCH more than good enough for me.

Jul 8, 2009 at 4:14 AM Post #30 of 46
I'm hoping CDP > GS-1 > HF-2 will be good enough for a long time to come....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back