What's Going On With Justin At Headamp?
Sep 2, 2008 at 9:17 PM Post #16 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by jantze /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Call me a snob, but if I pay for a product, I demand a perfect service for these prices we have to pay.

Luckily I got a fellow Head-Fi'er to build me my next amp. Now it's up to me how nice front panels/case I'm getting
biggrin.gif

My company spent just south of 100 grand on some work at a supplier . They are some of the best in the world at what they do and you know what; because of this they have LOTS of people throwing that kind of money their way and you know what I'm getting crap service. If you don't like it go elsewhere....

That said I wish Justin would give realistic finishing dates. I love my GS-X and I'm very glad I ended up buying used instead of waiting.

Sep 2, 2008 at 9:40 PM Post #17 of 71
I think we're pretty tolerant with our boutique builders. In my other passion, acoustic guitars, there are lots of boutique builders. Few of them that run their businesses this way last long. Some have extremely long waiting lists, but that is communicated and understood upfront. Some won't even guarantee the price, because with 3 and 4 year waiting lists, market conditions, and pricing, may have changed dramatically by delivery. You want a Somogyi? That, and $20k is the price you pay.

I think the mojo of that level of exclusivity actually works in their favor with their target market. Seems to me that boutique builders of headphone amps could learn some lessons from them.

Tim

Sep 3, 2008 at 7:38 AM Post #18 of 71
I sent Justin a couple of questions a few months ago regarding the GS-1 and didn't get a single reply... absolutely killed my desire to get a brand new one.

I own a Gilmore Lite which I purchased a number of years back and contact was excellent at the time. I suppose it's unfortunate that this is happening, considering the high regard his amps have on these boards.

Sep 3, 2008 at 3:36 PM Post #19 of 71
Why does this seem to be happening to more and more manufacturers (Xin, Singlepower and now Headamp) and as I remember also several other especially portable amp manufacturers ?
Is it that our hobby makes them so popular that in the end the small companies just can't cope any longer and die under the load of their own success ?

Sep 3, 2008 at 5:04 PM Post #23 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by nc8000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why does this seem to be happening to more and more manufacturers (Xin, Singlepower and now Headamp) and as I remember also several other especially portable amp manufacturers ?
Is it that our hobby makes them so popular that in the end the small companies just can't cope any longer and die under the load of their own success ?

I have built, tested, packaged, and shipped over 500 amps so far this year, some of every model I make, with no preferential treatment, except for the soon to be completed KGBH SE. And received/sent thousands of emails/PMs/phone calls that are part of it. About 90% of the amps that I have received payments for this year have been shipped - the total amount of those that are still in progress don't even add up to 1 mega-buck amp from that other thread.

I'm surprised by this thread to find out how much resentment there is from not getting a reply to an email - it's not intentional, and I can also be contacted by PM or phone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SleepyOne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hope no more major players go out......not good for the hobby

Go where?

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Sep 3, 2008 at 5:27 PM Post #24 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by justin w. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have built, tested, packaged, and shipped over 500 amps so far this year, some of every model I make, with no preferential treatment, except for the soon to be completed KGBH SE. And received/sent thousands of emails/PMs/phone calls that are part of it. About 90% of the amps that I have received payments for this year have been shipped - the total amount of those that are still in progress don't even add up to 1 mega-buck amp from that other thread.

I'm surprised by this thread to find out how much resentment there is from not getting a reply to an email - it's not intentional, and I can also be contacted by PM or phone.

Go where?

Stop playing on Head-fi and get back to work you slacker... it is the middle of the afternoon
biggrin.gif

Sep 3, 2008 at 5:36 PM Post #25 of 71
Too bad it takes a thread like this to elicite a response.. Personally, I'd be afraid to buy an amp from you.. As your shipping dates seem to be sporadic at best.. It's to the point I'd rather buy your gear used, cause you do make good products.. Just seems you have too much to handle..

Sep 3, 2008 at 5:42 PM Post #26 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by justin w. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
About 90% of the amps that I have received payments for this year have been shipped

With all due respect, I am concerned as a potential client about paying for a very expensive product in advance of shipment when there is a track record of delivery problems. I would not want to be one of the 10% unless those are orders that are still within the promised delivery period.

Sep 3, 2008 at 6:33 PM Post #27 of 71
Yes, waiting sucks. And I'm sure that if Justin started hiring people to build amps for him, the wait times would dramatically decrease. But if he did that, we wouldn't have the assurance that one of the absolute best amp builders had constructed our amps. Maybe I'm putting too much stock in that. But it seems reasonable to think that a very high level of consistency is achieved by Headamp products because Justin is the one building all of them.

I waited a fairly long time for my Pico. But given the large demand and quality of the product, I can't complain. If the GSX were more appropriate to my personal needs, I wouldn't hesitate order one either.

Sep 4, 2008 at 12:39 AM Post #28 of 71
Were I to order from Headamp I would be able to wait. If I wanted something sent out to me off the waiting shelf and wanted the same degree of professionalism in the design and the same assurance of a product arriving and functioning without needing to fire emails back and forward to troubleshoot (I'm thinking recent debacles with Rudistor and Singlepower) I'd go with Headroom.

Those in the minority who have their emails unanswered, this is of course disappointing, however I'd still be betting to rack a significant fraction of those to their emails landing in Headamps spam box or Headamps replies landing in theirs.

Sep 4, 2008 at 1:53 AM Post #29 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by Orcin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With all due respect, I am concerned as a potential client about paying for a very expensive product in advance of shipment when there is a track record of delivery problems. I would not want to be one of the 10% unless those are orders that are still within the promised delivery period.

justin only gives delivery estimates, not promised delivery dates. I mean sure it is a long time to wait and it would be nice to get it faster, but HeadAmp is a one-man operation and he can only do so much. Delays happen, and they happen more often when you're one person doing everything. But the thing is, justin has never defrauded anyone and has no intention of doing so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back