What's everyone's deam portable setup?
Aug 16, 2001 at 10:27 PM Post #31 of 43
Quote:

What's everyone's deam portable setup?

Man, when I look at Kevin Gilmore's portable rig, I wanna say, "I'm havin' what he's havin'."

That rig of his is somethin', eh?

I think that's my answer to the question.

What I use now is a pretty cool portable rig because it's so dang small. I use a Radio Shack CD-3904 portable CD player, MarkerTek custom mini-to-mini interconnect (made of Canare cable and mini plugs), JMT-built CHA47 (cmoy/Hansen/Apheared) portable headphone amp, and Sony MDR-V6 headphones, all stuffed into an Eagle Creek bag.

If I know I'll be somewhere sitting for longer periods of time, I will sometimes replace the JMT-built CHA47 with a Total Airhead, and also bring my Sennheiser HD-600's in a Pelican case (to my ears, the Total Airhead drives the HD-600's better, the JMT CHA47 drives the MDR-V6's better).

I'll have to take some pics of these setups some time.

Aug 17, 2001 at 4:15 AM Post #33 of 43
I would like (and will have one day) a Sony MZ-R909, using it's line out to a new Headroom Cosmic, and then to a pair of Etymotic ER-4S, or perhaps some Stax earphones. However, I think I'd much prefer Kevin Gilmore's setup
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 17, 2001 at 5:47 AM Post #34 of 43
the best portable money can buy ( CD and MD)
+
ETY
+
Cosmic
+
one of those travel bag to fit everything.

Not really a dream since if I pick up cosmic and ety, my MD *dream* set up is complete
smily_headphones1.gif

Tides

Aug 17, 2001 at 2:33 PM Post #35 of 43
Duncan, I don't think dual dac's really means anything. I had 2 Kenwood's with dual dac's and they sounded like crap and both never worked properly. Constant malfunction and stuff like that. I went through 4 Kenwoods in total that didn't work right.

My dream portable setup would be
Sony D-E905
Modded Sony EX70LP's
Total Airhead

just something basic.

Aug 17, 2001 at 5:14 PM Post #36 of 43
new dream portable! Basically, I want the exact same thing as Tyll is using:

Personal Jukebox (mine will have 20 gig HD and backlit display)
Total Airhead
Etymotic ER4S' with custom earmolds
Headroom PJB bag

Unless the Treo has a better interface (or the same interface) than the PJB, I want exactly what's listed above. Man, that would be sweet...

Aug 17, 2001 at 10:26 PM Post #38 of 43
I forgot about artmusic247's rig. Yeah, okay, modifying my answer. My dream system would look remarkably like Kevin Gilmore's portable rig but with a custom frame/rack system built by artmusic247. That would be unstoppable.

Lessee....how much do I need to make this happen? If I sell my car and my home rig, I'd probably have enough for the headphones.........

rolleyes.gif

Aug 29, 2001 at 12:50 AM Post #39 of 43
I want canal phones similar to the ETY ER4s, but cordless.

I want a source unit that stores about 200 hours of music in a lossless format, with a large display to navigate the files. I want the navigation to be damned near instantaneous. It must be a single unit, with no external amp, transmitter, or power substation required. I would like to be able to change out all 200 hours of music in, say, an hour.

I want the source to have built in variable cross-feed. I also want a built in mic with a variable mixer so that I can choose how much of the outside world that I want to let in (remember, I will have cordless Etymotics in my ears). Heck, might as well throw in a variable notch filter on the mic so that I can pick the sound spectrum that I want to let in.

Obviously the source unit needs to be small enough to fit in a pocket, and reasonably light. It has to be shock resistant, and (this is important) waterproof!

Rechargeable would be nice, body heat powered would be better. It also needs a cordless interface with my telephones so that I don't have to take the plugs out of my ears when somebody calls my desk.

I can think of lots more, but if I could get my hands on the above system I would be content until the improved version is available a couple of years later.

Aug 29, 2001 at 2:11 AM Post #40 of 43
I've got a new one....Pana 570A out to CAL Gamma to JMT CHA47 Penguin (!) to Ety 4S.....Gamma being powered by a homemade batter pack, of course
biggrin.gif

I'm just a CAL Gamma , Pana 570A, and, oh yeah, Etys away from that....

Aug 29, 2001 at 2:24 AM Post #41 of 43
In a Japanese D-ej01 reveiw, i found their "dream CDp"...

it has (sorry for the babelfish translation)
Quote:

What compared to treble quality design
As for the battery life which is foolish compared to the sound quality the priority
Room can be given in the headphone amplifier. At least, 100 with Omega of Ety 10mW we want
Excess heavily silent reinforcement function it enters
Sound flying guard technology of incompressible
High resolution DAC
HDCD correspondence
The legato link * conversion (similar function) the On/Off does
The CDRW plays back
In the range which does not designate the sound quality as sacrifice small size * light weight conversion
As for remote control and headphone jack separate
Digital auralizer in a some way (normal position promotion function outside digital head)
" The small-sized microphone which passes to ride, the prevention alarm " or, ¢ interior sound picks up built-in " (laughing)

hmm, i'm lauging too
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 29, 2001 at 7:28 PM Post #42 of 43
lol, thomas!

Hmm...I want to add a jitter reduction device.....yes....that would be a GOOD setup....hmm....actually, let's add some more stuff.

In addition to the BATTER POWERED jitter reducer (probably homemade batter pack), I'd also want Jan's Analoguer, A Crossfeed unit, and I'd like to change the headphones to Ety 4Ps.

The amp will have resistors built in.....for 4S conversion
biggrin.gif

And I add the Sony E95 MD player - the 4Ps go along with them alone when you need a VERY portable solution..like....in a bus.....I for one would hate to have 6 (570A, jitter reducer, CAL Gamma, JMT CHA47, Crossfeed unit, Analoguer,) things in a bus....especially when their value is a lot more than, say, an MD......unless it was MY bus. Or John Madden's - he'd be too busy talking funny to care....never mind.....

Aug 29, 2001 at 8:42 PM Post #43 of 43
I just did and interesting comparison an D-EJ01 feeding either and Cal Gamma versus and AA Ultradac (which i don't see much mention any more, its AA's Dac-in-the-box bolted to a DTI with an external power supply)then to my second system (Denon receiver and older[but still nice] Boston Acoustics). I was surprised to find the Ultradac out performed the Gamma noticibly (richer midrange, fuller upper bass), surprised because I'm a huge fan of CAL's equipment. WHich leads me to my portable system: a D-EJ01 or ad SOny MZ-r900 (MD) feeding an AA DACman to a cosmic and ETY 4s's. Now I'm going to have to see how the DACman compares to the Gamma.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back