What's everyone's deam portable setup?
Jul 17, 2001 at 2:47 AM Post #16 of 43
Kevin, the D-EJ01 with "G Protection" doesn't seem like the ideal setup, to me at least.. I'd rather use a Panasonic SL-CT570, or SL-CT780, both of which support linear anti-shock at the line out.

Your D-777 is gorgeous, though.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 17, 2001 at 12:19 PM Post #17 of 43
What would really be nice is to have a portable
SACD player. But i think that's a few years off.

The 12 volt 7 amp hour battery runs the whole thing
for about 8 to 9 hours. More than enough for chicago
to hawaii. Also enough for chicago to munich.

In the little orange box (a kraft servo box) is a fully
isolated high efficiency 12 volt to 5 volt converter.
In series with the 5 volt converter is a silicon diode
which brings it down to about 4.5 volts. That is what
powers the player. Doing it this way and there are
no ground loops, which i did have previously.

The srm-212 pulls about 4 watts. Total pull out
of the battery is about 400 ma.

The d-ej01 is really a slick unit. And it sounds very good.
will have to look into other players, the last time i did
nothing touched the sony.

Jul 17, 2001 at 4:06 PM Post #18 of 43
The D-EJ01 has a 5mw headphone amp (which shouldn't bother us in this case, as we're using the line out). However, unlike the D-777, which doesn't compress the sound to fit 40 seconds of it into the anti-skip memory, the "G-Protection" on the D-EJ01 does compress it.

The SL-CT570 supports 10-second linear anti-shock with no compression, or 40-second with compression (naturally, the compression degrades the sound). The SL-Ct780 has automatic 40-second protection if you're using the headphone out, 10-second if you're using line out, and no shock protection if you're using optical out.

Jul 18, 2001 at 4:11 AM Post #19 of 43
odeen, G-protection does not compress the sound. It uses 15 second linear antiskip, which is better than the antiskip on panasonic. (it focuses the lens and reads data much faster so it does not need as many seconds of antiskip)

Panasonic uses older optical systems, so they really do need the 40 seconds to be comparable to g-protection. Reducing it to 10 seconds will not give the same level of shock protection as a Sony.

The D-EJ01 sounds amazing out of the line out, better than any other portable i've heard, and almost as good as entry-level home decks.

However, it is a POS out of the headphone jack, with lots of noise/hiss, compresssed dynamics, distortion at high levels, etc. Some older versions have 15mW headphone amps, but they still sound like crap.

Jul 18, 2001 at 5:17 AM Post #20 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by Odeen
...the D-777, which doesn't compress the sound to fit 40 seconds of it into the anti-skip memory...

Well, that D-777 has only 10 seconds of first-generation digital anti-skip...
redface.gif

Jul 18, 2001 at 12:14 PM Post #21 of 43
I know the Sony reads ahead because when I push the button on the lid and let it play with the lid open, I think it lasts for 30-40 seconds... on my D-815, same technology, no?

Jul 20, 2001 at 12:42 AM Post #22 of 43
Thomas (or anyone)

I was wondering if you had a chance to compare the D-777 to the D-EJ01 for line out quality.. The D-777 actually has a good headphone jack (My RS-1's sing, while my CD1700's are bearable, and the CD1700's need as good a source as you can muster to sound decent)

In fact, the only complaint I have against the D-777 is that I can't even walk fast with the thing in my backpack.. If I can get the G-Protection at the same time as line out quality equivalent or better to the D-777 on the D-EJ01, I'll have to get one, and resign the D-777 for ampless use..

Sigh.

Jul 20, 2001 at 5:59 AM Post #23 of 43
Sorry, i haven't compared the two, out of the line out. The d777 does have dual DACs, which isn't used in any of the new cd players. I dunno if this makes a difference. I know someone with an old Sony D-5 (i think) which has the dual DACs, so i'll try and do a comparason with a CMOY amp this weekend...

Jul 20, 2001 at 7:49 AM Post #24 of 43
The D-777 doesn't have dual DACs... it has a 1-bit DAC (is that good?) Well, at least it doesn't advertise having dual DACs.

I remember that the top-of-the-line Sony portable 2 years ago (D-EJ01?) DID advertise dual DACs, I was drooling at it when I was shopping for my first portable CD player back in May of '99.. Went home with a panasonic SL-SX510, which STILL looks brand new, despite having been used heavily.

Thanks in advance, though.

-Alex

Jul 20, 2001 at 8:33 PM Post #25 of 43
Odeen,
You're right. I just got the SOny D-777 and it doesn't say dual 1-bit DAC. I think the only model that say Dual 1 bit is the model that replace D-777, which is DE-905, I believe. It's blue in color and the look is exactly the same as D-777 but it has ESP^2.

Jul 20, 2001 at 9:09 PM Post #26 of 43
odeen-my bad, i got mixed up with all those pictures people posted back at headwize...The D-EJ01 doesn't have dual DACs either, so it must be the in-between models that have it(905? i dunno, but i'll take bubblegummy's word for it).

I don't think the number of DACs really matters that much, 1 good DAC will sound better than 2 bad ones.

As for the 1-bit DAC, i think they are good for portable use. They do suffer from many problems that make them worse than traditional multi-bit DACs (ie 16, 18, 20, 24 bit DACs) in a reference DAC design, but in a portable with many design compromises (low voltage, low power, low cost) the DACs archetecture isn't important at all. So how well the DAC is used in the design (and the design of the actual DAC) is much more important than whether its a 1-bit or multibit design. (panasonic uses MASH which is a third type of archetecture, again what's important is how well the design is used)

And although i think some of the new CDPs do sound very good, i don't think its worth upgrading for the small difference. Your panasonic 510 is great (amazing build quality- they don't make them like that anymore) so i'd keep on using it until it stops working.

Jul 21, 2001 at 1:08 PM Post #27 of 43
On much the same vain as Odeen, and Kevin Gilmore...

My ultimate combo is the one i'm listening to right this second... D-777 Discman and Grado SR-125s...

No need for an amp with this combo either... a great little duo
smily_headphones1.gif

btw... I think the D777 does have Dual Dacs... just doesn't say so on the case, from my understanding the D-E905 that replaced it just had a new paint job, and ESP2 to bring it up to the same standards as the rest of the then current Discmen
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 21, 2001 at 9:46 PM Post #28 of 43
Duncan,

I have the same combo as you, except that I'm using AG MSII. They're really a great combo!!!

By the way, why do you say that Sony D-777 has a dual DAC?? My uncle has a Sony De905 (dual DAC) and the sound is pretty much the same as my Sony 777 except that its soundstage is a little better. IMHO, Sony DE905 is better than D777. It's an upgraded version of D777 with longer battery life and better skip protection.

smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 22, 2001 at 9:45 PM Post #29 of 43
Really?? Oooh
smily_headphones1.gif

I can lay my hands on a D-E905 for £279 ($400) brand new from a shop in London... if it sounds better than the D777, then.. I might be there
biggrin.gif

It was just a general understanding of mine (and other people on HW) that the D777 had dual dacs, which is why it sounded so much better than anything else in the range?!

Battery life isn't a concern with me and my D777 I scrapped the original 1000mah batteries, and replaced them with the 1400mah stamina ones... this thing now lasts forever, especially with AAs strapped on the back (takes AGES to charge now though!!)

Aug 16, 2001 at 8:37 PM Post #30 of 43
here is a link to a site that lists the d777 as having dual 1 bit dacs. i tried calling the sony product info center but the wait was 24 minutes.

http://www.audiovideo.com/catalog/cdpla.htm

i carry my d777 around in my backpack without esp on, and it only skips if i start running hard. i even put it in my pocket when i'm working around the house and it only skips if i bump it. perhaps the laser is misaligned on yours? did you ever drop it?

my current portable setup is simple:

sony dd9 tape walkman, metal tape recordings of vinyl, no dolby, sony mdr v6 headphones or ex70.

sony d777 discman, mfsl discs or good remasters, mdr v6 or ex70s.

i will hopefully be adding the cd1700 to this setup by tomorrow, right eagle_driver?
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back