What's Better Than a Heed?
Sep 25, 2007 at 1:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 75

AudioDwebe

Headphoneus Supremus
I pose this question to all who've heard the Heed and other solid state amps. Which amps costing under a grand actually better the Heed, as opposed to offering a "different" sound?

I've been considering upgrading from this amp, but am reluctant due to the excellent sound quality (to me) of this particular unit. So...if I was to upgrade, to which solid state amp should I go?

BTW, would prefer recommendations that have two inputs.

I'm not interested in tubes, as I've already got a SP.

Thanks.

Sep 25, 2007 at 2:05 PM Post #4 of 75
Propose for Graham Solo Slee "Green"
wink.gif

Sep 25, 2007 at 3:37 PM Post #5 of 75
lol i just sold my modded heed and have given myself a month to research the options as well as prevent making a rash decision and am looking in a similar price bracket (<$700)

maybe we can do this all together! so far i have come up with the following possibilities:

Graham Slee Solo
Headmp GS-1
Talisman T3-H
Lehmann Black Cube Linear
Stello HP100
Meier Corda Opera (a bit of a stretch)
Triadaudio LISA III
Maxed out M3
Maxed out PPAv2
Modest b22 + o22

If anyone has heard all of these and the heed canamp I would love to hear from you! lol

Sep 25, 2007 at 4:35 PM Post #6 of 75
I had a borrowed Heed and a borrowed GS-1 at the same time (thanks, Asr!) and while the Heed is good, the GS-1 is better by a good margin -- though at twice-ish the price (and probably over twice the size).

The GS-1 is just a stupendous amp -- and it does have dual inputs, as well as switchable gain.

Sep 25, 2007 at 5:21 PM Post #8 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by episiarch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had a borrowed Heed and a borrowed GS-1 at the same time (thanks, Asr!) and while the Heed is good, the GS-1 is better by a good margin -- though at twice-ish the price (and probably over twice the size).

The GS-1 is just a stupendous amp -- and it does have dual inputs, as well as switchable gain.

I'm taking this upgrade path so it's nice to hear that there is a big difference. Now I can't wait!

Sep 25, 2007 at 5:34 PM Post #9 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by jules650 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm taking this upgrade path so it's nice to hear that there is a big difference. Now I can't wait!

I'm really sure you'll be pleased.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 25, 2007 at 6:56 PM Post #14 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioDwebe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I pose this question to all who've heard the Heed and other solid state amps. Which amps costing under a grand actually better the Heed, as opposed to offering a "different" sound?

I've been considering upgrading from this amp, but am reluctant due to the excellent sound quality (to me) of this particular unit. So...if I was to upgrade, to which solid state amp should I go?

BTW, would prefer recommendations that have two inputs.

I'm not interested in tubes, as I've already got a SP.

Thanks.

I have been through a few amps in that price range, and have hung on to the Heed. I had thought about doing some of the mods mentioned in the big thread to see if it could be improved, but didn't want to change the sound signature. Thrice (Rockhopper Audio) changed out the crappy power cord and put black gates in the power supply as the only improvement he said he would recommend. I'm expecting the amp back home today or tomorrow. In his pm to me, he stated, "BTW, that amp with a pair of Sennheiser HD201...has no business whatsoever sounding THAT good." I'm quite excited to find out, and will report back.

I was in the original group buy, and haven't heard another amp in that price range that sounds as good. If you wanted to take a serious jump in price (double/triple) you might. If you're looking for something excellent in the same price range, but slightly different sound, I've heard the original EC/SS and thought it, too, was an excellent amp. I understand improvements have been made since then on the model that is currently being offered.

Sep 25, 2007 at 7:00 PM Post #15 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe you are comparing apples and oranges. I mean comparing a $1,000 amp to a $450 does not prove anything. Of course the one costing 2.2 times is going to sound better! It should!

Well yeah, I agree, but isn't the OP asking for exactly this comparison, in order to choose an upgrade path?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back