Whatever happened to: "Your Welcome?"
May 16, 2007 at 7:51 PM Post #91 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by kerelybonto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you expect me to recognize your quote of some blog via a post in a different topic without any sort of direction?

To be honest, I didn't expect you to care. This is a headphone forum, not a peer-reviewed journal. I always thought we were here to talk to one another, not critique each other's grammatical abilities. Indeed, the point of the post you partially picked apart was to clarify just why I thought a discussion of grammar was not entirely appropriate in a thread on manners.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kerelybonto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whatever the cause of my mistake, I'm happy to see that you do indeed have a good grasp of English grammar. Best of luck in trying to get others to join us in our use of it.

I forgive you for your mistake, but I must leave this quixotic task to you. Ride on, I hear windmills in the distance.

May 16, 2007 at 8:28 PM Post #92 of 107
This is getting weary. I should probably just go back to work.
evil_smiley.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grammar is the "good manners" of language. Both good manners and grammar are an essential part of communication. Decline of thoughtful communication would most probably result in the decline of both good manners and proper use of grammar.
I think they are "connected at the hip".

On the one hand it sounds like you are saying good manners and grammar are the basis for thoughtful communication. On the other hand it sounds like you are saying that thoughtful communication is the basis for good manners and grammar (result being the key word, and thus bolded). You've said something along the lines of "If I don't don't have syrup I don't have something sweet" and "If I don't have something sweet I don't have syrup." If I'm to follow your thinking I will probably need a valid argument of some kind.

May 16, 2007 at 8:35 PM Post #93 of 107
Re-visiting. Whoever would have thought it. It has everything: Anger, Sloth, Gluttony, Pride (lots of this one), Lust (probably some of this too), Greed, Envy (Hidden but there, you know who you are).

How horribly embarrassed I was, when called to task (Pride), I went to bed without my hour at the crossbar (Sloth). I got up later and had a gallon of Ice Cream (Gluttony). Who is this guy? I will nail him with questions (Anger). Probably better educated (Envy). I wanted to have the thread for my own(Greed). Anyway, I have to go, my wife has a gleam in her eye (Lust).

Please don't parse me, I can't handle it.
evil_smiley.gif

May 16, 2007 at 8:38 PM Post #94 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superpredator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is getting weary. I should probably just go back to work.
evil_smiley.gif

On the one hand it sounds like you are saying good manners and grammar are the basis for thoughtful communication. On the other hand it sounds like you are saying that thoughtful communication is the basis for good manners and grammar (result being the key word, and thus bolded). You've said something along the lines of "If I don't don't have syrup I don't have something sweet" and "If I don't have something sweet I don't have syrup." If I'm to follow your thinking I will probably need a valid argument of some kind.

Your analogy is wrong.
If you want to use this analogy, you should frase it like: syrup is an essential part of all things sweet. If all things sweet suffer degradation, it is very probable that syrup will also suffer degradation.

May 16, 2007 at 8:49 PM Post #95 of 107
Quote:

Your analogy is wrong.
If you want to use this analogy, you should frase it like: syrup is an essential part of all things sweet. If all things sweet suffer degradation, it is very probable that syrup will also suffer degradation.

That analogy is not analogous to your original statement. I will re-word what you stated as you stated it but I will replace several variables. If it makes sense, please explain to me how.

manners = flour
grammar = eggs
communication = cake

ORIGINAL: Both good manners and grammar are an essential part of communication. Decline of thoughtful communication would most probably result in the decline of both good manners and proper use of grammar.

RE-WORDED: Both good flour and eggs are an essential part of cake. Decline of good cake would most probably result in the decline of good flour and eggs.

If that isn't a fallacy I'm not sure what is.

May 16, 2007 at 8:57 PM Post #96 of 107
Quote:

That analogy is not analogous to your original statement. I will re-word what you stated as you stated it but I will replace several variables. If it makes sense, please explain to me how.

manners = flour
grammar = eggs
communication = cake

ORIGINAL: Both good manners and grammar are an essential part of communication. Decline of thoughtful communication would most probably result in the decline of both good manners and proper use of grammar.

RE-WORDED: Both good flour and eggs are an essential part of cake. Decline of good cake would most probably result in the decline of good flour and eggs.

If that isn't a fallacy I'm not sure what is.

Your analogy is wrong again.
Grammar and good manners cannot exist without being part of communication.
Both flour and eggs can exist without being part of a cake.
If they could only exist in cake, the decline of (all) cake would indeed most probably result in the decline of flour and eggs.

May 16, 2007 at 9:04 PM Post #97 of 107
Quote:

If they could only exist in cake, the decline of (all) cake would indeed most probably result in the decline of flour and eggs.

The variables have absolutely nothing to do with whether or not an argument is valid. You could substitute x, y and z and your statement would still be an invalid argument. I apologize, but this is truly inescapable. Read up on what makes a valid argument if you don't believe me. I'm not trying to give you a hard time, I'm just trying to help you help me understand your position.

May 16, 2007 at 9:28 PM Post #98 of 107
Quote:

icon10.gif

Sometimes in expressing "you are welcome"-like verbiage I also employ the hug that lasts too long. No one doubts my sincerity. No one.

ah no! don't get me started on creepy hugs. i had an in-law who liked to hug with full on back stroking and crotch to crotch contact. it got to the point where if he even touched my shoulder i would shudder and step away.

the worst i will do is a manly clap on the shoulder and a hearty "you are very welcome!" or quick boobie squeeze, make a finger gun at her and go "pew pew pew!"

May 16, 2007 at 9:40 PM Post #99 of 107
Quote:

"You're welcome" has always seemed to me to draw to much attention to the act for which another person is thanking you. "No problem" seems to me to be the more humble response, along the same lines as "Don't mention it."

Also, with the inflection and tone many use to utter the words "You're welcome," you would think they are more impressed with themselves than your appreciation of them, which from my experience tends to be a little repulsive to the under-30 crowd. [size=medium]Sometimes we don't like the niceties because they aren't actually nice anymore[/size].

I'm 29.

couldn't agree with this more

i really like the way you put it

May 16, 2007 at 10:03 PM Post #100 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ah no! don't get me started on creepy hugs. i had an in-law who liked to hug with full on back stroking and crotch to crotch contact. it got to the point where if he even touched my shoulder i would shudder and step away.

the worst i will do is a manly clap on the shoulder and a hearty "you are very welcome!" or quick boobie squeeze, make a finger gun at her and go "pew pew pew!"

Again,
icon10.gif
. Head-Fi is very good for arguing and laughing. It's like ice cream with chicken bones in it.

May 16, 2007 at 10:08 PM Post #101 of 107
Quote:

Again,
icon10.gif
. Head-Fi is very good for arguing and laughing. It's like ice cream with chicken bones in it.

ah, we each post to our own intellectual level. which in some cases is more like melted ice cream with chicken bones in it. :þ
wink.gif

May 16, 2007 at 10:10 PM Post #102 of 107
Quote:

The variables have absolutely nothing to do with whether or not an argument is valid or not. You could substitute x, y and z and your statement would still be an invalid argument. I apologize, but this is truly inescapable. Read up on what makes a valid argument if you don't believe me. I'm not trying to give you a hard time, I'm just trying to help you help me understand your position.

You didn't just replace parameters. You changed the context. The precondition in which they exist and function: being an integral part of a whole.
You did not only replace the pieces, you also changed the rules and the field.

I'll refrase what I was trying to say in a more abstract way:
The fact that two things have a similar purpose and working and both are integral part of the same whole, connects them. Similar rules will apply to them and similar events will influence them.

If two things exist as part of a whole (and only as part of that whole), and the whole changes, it is probable (actually inevitable) that these parts will also change. The events that change the whole can either influence these parts directly or indirectly.
Directly: their value, working or appearance changes.
Indirectly: They become part of a different context and therefore get a different meaning. Their working have a different effect in the whole. Their role and position changed.

Hope this helps you understand what my point is.
I am not trying to describe the relationship, I only argue that there inevitably is a relationship.

May 17, 2007 at 3:05 AM Post #103 of 107
Quote:

One sec here. I have a semi-trivial point to make. Of course grammar applies for written and spoken language, but how many times have we heard that the largest portion of communication is non-verbal? Granted, the non-verbal aspect applies to spoken language as well (tone, cadence, speed, ad infinitum). This has been hinted at by all those saying "it depends" when to use a certain phrase. What I'm trying to show is that grammar is, to a great extent IMO, separate from good manners (and a great part of communication). Naturally there is a connection, but I truly believe the subtext or subconscious actions are more important--and we are taught different subconscious actions and meanings in each generation, and even each sub-generation nowadays. TV shows that were really cool to me 10 years ago are completely boring to people 10 years younger than me (for the most part).

So it seems that what's natural for someone my age might be completely offensive to someone two generations ahead of me. It depends on POV: for me, I am trying to use what I've learned to be good manners, all with the best of intentions. From the person 2 generations older, it doesn't fit into his/her blueprint of good manners, or doesn't make any sense to him. How many adults keep up on high school slang? How many high schoolers use slang from the previous generation? (OK, I used to say "righteous" and "radical"--but mostly in an ironic way.) Our world is changing all the time, and language has to adapt to help people make sense of it. So a partial breakdown of communication between generations, or a tendency to think that society is declining, is natural, it seems to me. What an awkward point I'm failing to make--I'll just quit while I'm far behind (but amused nonetheless).

What an interesting debate this thread started!

Edit: Dangit. I should have read your last post before making this one, Kees.

May 17, 2007 at 8:27 AM Post #104 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by Klarus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One sec here. I have a semi-trivial point to make. Of course grammar applies for written and spoken language, but how many times have we heard that the largest portion of communication is non-verbal? Granted, the non-verbal aspect applies to spoken language as well (tone, cadence, speed, ad infinitum). This has been hinted at by all those saying "it depends" when to use a certain phrase. What I'm trying to show is that grammar is, to a great extent IMO, separate from good manners (and a great part of communication). Naturally there is a connection, but I truly believe the subtext or subconscious actions are more important--and we are taught different subconscious actions and meanings in each generation, and even each sub-generation nowadays. TV shows that were really cool to me 10 years ago are completely boring to people 10 years younger than me (for the most part).

So it seems that what's natural for someone my age might be completely offensive to someone two generations ahead of me. It depends on POV: for me, I am trying to use what I've learned to be good manners, all with the best of intentions. From the person 2 generations older, it doesn't fit into his/her blueprint of good manners, or doesn't make any sense to him. How many adults keep up on high school slang? How many high schoolers use slang from the previous generation? (OK, I used to say "righteous" and "radical"--but mostly in an ironic way.) Our world is changing all the time, and language has to adapt to help people make sense of it. So a partial breakdown of communication between generations, or a tendency to think that society is declining, is natural, it seems to me. What an awkward point I'm failing to make--I'll just quit while I'm far behind (but amused nonetheless).

What an interesting debate this thread started!

Edit: Dangit. I should have read your last post before making this one, Kees.

I agree with you that there are far more, and probably more important, factors that determine the quality of communication.
The relative importance of any factor in communication is very difficult to establish. Moreso: it changes constantly.
Communication is very context dependent. The context changes with time and location and is also very dependent on culture. Even more important: the context is determined by the personal perception of any and all participants.
Which can change any moment.
This makes communication so extremely complicated.
This is also why I think that the main rule in communication is to be constantly, as well as you possibly can, aware of the perception of the other.

May 17, 2007 at 8:06 PM Post #105 of 107
Kees, I never argued that manners and grammar weren't part of a larger whole; in fact, I indirectly referred to this whole when I mentioned that the entirety of humanity's history had brought us to the present state of language/culture/beliefs that contains both the measurable decline of proper grammar in written English and the highly varied values regarding manners found from individual to individual. They are absolutely a part a single whole.

What I did argue, predominantly in response to some of the people here who seem to be shaking sticks at declining manners and grammar as though they are two sides to a single issue, is that they are not "connected at the hip." What's implied here, hopefully obviously, is conjoined twins. My contention was that grammar and manners are not analogous to conjoined twins--that is, they are not similar to conjoined twins in that if one conjoined twin should take a dive into a pool his twin will necessarily follow but in contrast if either grammar or manners declines the other will not necessarily follow.

I do not think anyone with a casual opinion on the subject--including me, obviously--could with any soundness prove that manners and grammar have a direct causal relationship with one another. There are too many factors involved. I agree that an event within the whole has the potential to influence both grammar and manners, and I even stated that an event within the whole had the potential to push both grammar and manners in a single direction. However, in no way does this link them intrinsically or necessarily. This sounds like something you could agree with, since I agree entirely with the points you make here:

Quote:

I agree with you that there are far more, and probably more important, factors that determine the quality of communication.
The relative importance of any factor in communication is very difficult to establish. Moreso: it changes constantly.
Communication is very context dependent. The context changes with time and location and is also very dependent on culture. Even more important: the context is determined by the personal perception of any and all participants.
Which can change any moment.
This makes communication so extremely complicated.
This is also why I think that the main rule in communication is to be constantly, as well as you possibly can, aware of the perception of the other.

Regarding this:

Quote:

You didn't just replace parameters. You changed the context. The precondition in which they exist and function: being an integral part of a whole.
You did not only replace the pieces, you also changed the rules and the field.

I have thought about it and I agree that the analogies I used were no good. In fact they kind of sucked. But I will say again that context has less than nothing to do with whether or not a series of statements intended to be an argument is logical/valid. I honestly don't remember what kind of fallacy it is or whether it is even properly called a classical fallacy. I wasn't arguing with the content of your words; I was simply trying to say that your statement did not convey any actual information because it was not valid.

Allow me to explain myself one last time. If I fail once again I'll give it up. You said that:

a) good manners and grammar are an essential part of communication
b) decline of thoughtful communication would most probably result in the decline of both good manners and proper use of grammar

You set up (what appeared to be) a logical argument with two variables and then proceeded to draw a conclusion not from the variables themselves but by using what should have been the conclusive variable as a variable to create a proof regarding the original two variables.

manners = x
grammar = y
communication = z
good = true
decline of = false

If x is true and y is true then z is true. If z is false then x and y are false.

This statement is not valid because if z is false it does not necessarily follow that both x and y are false. Either x or y may be false for z to be false.

A valid argument, whether sound or relevant to our discussion at all, would have looked more like this:

a) good manners and good grammar are an essential part of good communication
b) decline of good manners or decline of proper use of grammar would most probably result in the decline of good communication

(If x is true and y is true then z is true. If either x or y is false then z is false.)

You said that you consider grammar the manners of language. At least equally fundamental to language is the proper use and understanding of argumentation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back