Whatever happened to: "Your Welcome?"
May 13, 2007 at 6:53 PM Post #46 of 107
The fast food drive through experience is a microcosm of today. Its more of a social event they get paid to do. No manners, orders wrong, and when confronted, take offense to what the customer says. The food gets pushed out the window and curtly slammed. Try getting their attention for any condiments or napkins. I am sad for them having to work, but happy our older family is manning the restuarants with manners.

The freeways are showing the same lack of respect. If you aren't qualifying, your in the way. I have seen young mothers with a SUV full of children playing, doing 90+ with a cell in one hand and a cig. in the other rudely cutting people off and encroaching safety concerns by coming less than a car length to your rear before braking. Who are we to impede her right of way. And I'm doing 75.

Manners are part of character. When you show none, it says everything I need to know about that person and the parents. It has nothing to do with age. Ken, me or anybody expects some level of respect in society. Without it, society will continue to live in it's isolated world, incoherent of the problems not getting involved creates. We all have some responsibility to each other. When all civil liberties are taken away, remember, you diden't care. It diden't bother you.

Thank you for reading my opinion.
icon10.gif

May 13, 2007 at 7:08 PM Post #48 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by en480c4 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While you may be correct, I definitely don't agree. If it's someone's right to be lazy while writing, why isn't it my right to point out the irony that a person who feels they aren't treated with the proper respect composes a post that doesn't respect the time of those reading their post. Why should I bother to take a person and their thoughts seriously if he or she can't be bothered to construct a well-written post? Or should I just assume that "your welcome" is some obscure phrase meaing my welcome?

Since when has taking someone's thoughts seriously or not had anything to do with putting effort into being rude? If you started your own thread about how much you hate poor grammar, I might have posted in agreement with you. I think it makes people sound dumb. However, knowing that I occasionally mistype myself, I tend to be lenient and do my best to infer what others meant to say. Poor grammar does not always mean that the substance of a post is not worth examining.

Should I scratch my head in wonder over "meaing"? Should I discount what you said because you put a hyphen between an adverb and an adjective, and essentially just said something along the lines of "written via a well" [the kind one draws water from]?

May 13, 2007 at 7:41 PM Post #49 of 107
What would happen, if the President Of The United States walked into the room where you are now. Let's say you oppose all of his politics. Would you stand? Would you call him Mr. President? Would you respect the presidency, if not the man.

My point is simple, we all deserve respect. I lied before. I only go to two restaurants. The staff, of both establishments, is properly trained and treat me and my family with deference. I never have to say a word.

About my grammar, I never thought my post would be picked apart, as if it were a freshman english composition, but it was. I was wrong. I made an error. I am sorry. Have we gotten to a point in this society, where we discount the content of person's character and instead degrade ones inability to recall the contraction: YOU ARE? Should I hire a proof reader? Who can I blame?

Maybe, I should take up pole vaulting instead of trying to provoke thought.

May 13, 2007 at 7:43 PM Post #50 of 107
rolleyes.gif

My comments aren't about anyone being perfect. I know I'm not...

Somebody made a statement about things not being done the "right" way anymore. I thought it was funny that it was done in a way that illustrates how things are not being done "right" with the English language anymore, especially online. The result was my wise-ass and sarcastic response.

May 13, 2007 at 7:51 PM Post #51 of 107
Quote:

rolleyes.gif

Somebody made a statement about things not being done the "right" way anymore. I thought it was funny that it was done in a way that illustrates how things are not being done "right" with the English language anymore, especially online. The result was my wise-ass and sarcastic response.

Ah, I like the cut of your angle's jib.

May 13, 2007 at 7:59 PM Post #53 of 107
Quote:

rolleyes.gif

Since you can't perceive someones tone on the internet, you probably should of used my favourite smiley
tongue.gif

What looks better

Quote:

Probably the same thing that happened to people knowing how to do a contraction properly...

or

Quote:

Probably the same thing that happened to people knowing how to do a contraction properly...
tongue.gif

May 13, 2007 at 8:01 PM Post #54 of 107
when someone says thank you to me i just give them a polite dragon kick to the face

... just an icebreaker moment
biggrin.gif

May 13, 2007 at 8:02 PM Post #55 of 107
personally you are all welcome to be impolite; i have no problem with that. but, anyone as the op said who says 'no problem' to me will not get a tip. similarly, you're welcome will also get reduced tip.

presumption in the service industry or perhaps the service industry in these silly countries in america needs to be rethought; it is not a way to secure money by half-ass service then act as if you deserve the tip. neither is a fake smile or a cheap 'no problem' going to cover up the fact that you have your zipper undone, have not flossed in days and flirt with all the customers.

serving sucksses

May 13, 2007 at 8:07 PM Post #56 of 107
Damn, this has been great fun. My Netflix, last night was "The Queen". After watching it, we all had coffee. The film provoked an interesting discussion on proper manners and what has happened to them in the United States. The subject stayed with me through the night and carried over to my post that started this thread. GOOD STUFF.
evil_smiley.gif

May 13, 2007 at 10:39 PM Post #58 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by ken36 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Damn, this has been great fun. My Netflix, last night was "The Queen". After watching it, we all had coffee. The film provoked an interesting discussion on proper manners and what has happened to them in the United States. The subject stayed with me through the night and carried over to my post that started this thread. GOOD STUFF.
evil_smiley.gif

Hmm, I didn't quite get a manners-related theme out of that one so much as a well depicted story that happened to illustrate a changing point for Western societies, namely the shift from valuing reality to focusing almost psychotically on emotionally charged media make-believe.

I am generally suspicious of bio-pics though. I found it ironic that while The Queen created such a lush space for a very timely theme it was also probably guilty of weaving some emotional make-believe itself.

May 14, 2007 at 12:10 AM Post #60 of 107
^^ omg I LOVE pretzels...now i want pretzels...thanks!

I dont see anything wrong with it. I say no problem all the time becuase most of the time it wasnt a huge deal for something to thank me.

Plus, i hate you're welcome almost as much as thank you or sorry. Those 3 words more times than not were not meant, but are a common reaction.

For instance, if im sorry, ill use the word apologize, because im actually sorry for knocking over someone's coffee. Im not sorry if someone bumps into me or i cut someone off when they were talking on accident. etc etc

I will usually say you're welcome when im working with elderly or depending on how sincere someone says their acknowledgement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back