What would you do with a Cold War era underground bunker in your back yard?
Feb 11, 2011 at 1:56 AM Post #18 of 38
Potentially a nice man cave with proper acoustic treatments. I am curious about:
  • What is the ambient temperature in the summer and winter?
  • Is there adequate ventilation?
  • Are there any problems from our many dust storms?
  • What is the likelihood of flooding or excessive humidity during monsoon season?
  • Is there adequate power for toys?
  • Can you keep your prize wines in safe storage?

Feb 11, 2011 at 2:44 AM Post #19 of 38
^ I was thinking wine cellar, but if it's comfy for the wine, it's not too comfortable for anything else.  How's  it heated and ventilated anyhow?

Batcave, what an opportunity!

Feb 11, 2011 at 4:01 AM Post #21 of 38
I'll go with UE's secret clubhouse, but I'm invited...

Feb 11, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #22 of 38
How could this thread possibly not be the most popular thread on head-fi/the whole internet... My friends and I just decided that when we're financially secure, we're all building bunkers.

Feb 11, 2011 at 11:27 PM Post #23 of 38
Wow. A bomb shelter in your backyard? That's awesome. Like Balderon said - if you can regulate the temperature/humidity, ensure good ventilation, et cetera, then you've got one of the coolest listening rooms on the continent.

Feb 11, 2011 at 11:52 PM Post #24 of 38
:)

The problem is that it isn't the ideal listening room. The ceiling isn't quite 8' and there would probably a problem with standing waves. But it'd do well as a home theater and a headphone room.

Temperature would hang around 65°-70° even in the summer (it's far enough underground), so I'd probably put up some racks on the walls to hold wine. Humidity would be fairly dry (there's no evidence of water down there), but a humidifier is cheap. It has a ventilation shaft, so an air exchanger wouldn't be a problem. Neither is power - it has its own electrical box. Probably on its own circuit (not sure), but that wouldn't be a hard change to make.

And I might pull the trigger on it next week. My father was there with our realtor today. They're asking $54k (!) and we might offer around $50k, cash. A small stretch, but it'd be an almost free place to live. It'd need another $15k-$20k in renovations (not including sweat equity). Of course, Team Arizona would be welcome to drop in, as well as anyone passing through the area. :)

Feb 12, 2011 at 12:49 AM Post #25 of 38

Financially secure, seriously?! You should be scraping every last penny to build one ASAP. There's no security, like underground shelter security.
Quote:
My friends and I just decided that when we're financially secure, we're all building bunkers.

Feb 12, 2011 at 1:14 AM Post #26 of 38

Quote:
smily_headphones1.gif

The problem is that it isn't the ideal listening room. The ceiling isn't quite 8' and there would probably a problem with standing waves. But it'd do well as a home theater and a headphone room.

Temperature would hang around 65°-70° even in the summer (it's far enough underground), so I'd probably put up some racks on the walls to hold wine. Humidity would be fairly dry (there's no evidence of water down there), but a humidifier is cheap. It has a ventilation shaft, so an air exchanger wouldn't be a problem. Neither is power - it has its own electrical box. Probably on its own circuit (not sure), but that wouldn't be a hard change to make.

And I might pull the trigger on it next week. My father was there with our realtor today. They're asking $54k (!) and we might offer around $50k, cash. A small stretch, but it'd be an almost free place to live. It'd need another $15k-$20k in renovations (not including sweat equity). Of course, Team Arizona would be welcome to drop in, as well as anyone passing through the area.
smily_headphones1.gif

until you're done with the renovations, you could live in the bomb shelter err i mean underground cottage

Feb 12, 2011 at 11:16 AM Post #27 of 38
Just thought of this:

Make sure you get a landline or cellphone reception in there in case you get trapped.

Feb 12, 2011 at 9:25 PM Post #29 of 38

Quote:
I voted theater / listening lair but I thought of the Donald Fagen song New Frontier.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBruAooXPNU

Now there's something I haven't seen or heard in years!

But heck yeah, dead silent listening/viewing/drinking lair would be awesome!

Feb 13, 2011 at 10:14 AM Post #30 of 38

Very cool, and a great selling feature down the road - a man cave to escape from the wife!...

Should check with the local municipality about building codes & what you can do with it so it's not an issue selling the house down the road...(but you know that already...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back