What would you do in this situation?
Mar 19, 2006 at 3:14 AM Post #16 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by JahJahBinks
Say you recovered someone's fat wallet, the owner wanted to express his appriciation by handing over three benjamins, would you politely accept or refuse?

First off i personally would refuse but deep inside hoping he would insist
biggrin.gif

Now months ago my mother found a wallet in the parking lot of the grocery store with cash,CC's and the guys license.We drove to his house but he was not home so we left a note where to find us.Less than a half hour later he arrived at our home and we told the story of what happened.He takes out three twenty dollar bills and offers them to me and i refused.I didn't want to take this guys money because it was no trouble at all but after refusing multiple times i accepted.

Mar 19, 2006 at 4:21 AM Post #18 of 34
I would say the same as most people here. Politely refuse at first and if he or she insists, then accept and thank them for the reward.

Mar 19, 2006 at 4:41 AM Post #19 of 34
As others have said, I will refuse but if he insist then I will accept it.
I've lost my wallet twice. The first time happened when I was a student in Sydney, Australia. The wallet was lost in the bus. There's about $200 inside it (lots of money for a student) 2 days later I got a phone call by the police to get the wallet, a good samaritan give the wallet to the police with everything intact. I surely gladful with it.
2nd time happen in CVS, here in philly. It doesn't take me less than 15 mins to go back and look for my wallet. The wallet was given to the customer service without the money in it (there's at least $80.00)
frown.gif

Lost my dog once, a good samaritan return it to us and refused when we offered her an envelope (w/ money of course), even after we insist to give it to her.
Found a car key connected to its door, took it out (it's not a safe neighborhood) and put a notice on the windshield to let the owner knows how to contact us. It's just way to pay back some karma. Return it to the owner and refused any rewards.
Once when I work at a convenience store, a girl w/ mental deficiency came to the store and just wondering around. My workmate and I decided to call the police to take care of her. Police came, ask her questions, call the parents/caregiver, told us to keep an eye on her while her parents/caregiver came, then they left. Thirty mins later, a mid-aged woman come and took the girl out. When my co-worker greet her, she felt annoyed and didn't even bother to say thank's. Eventhough, we're not asking for any rewards but a simple thank-you or a show of appreciation should be enough. Some people just don't have manners
mad.gif

Mar 19, 2006 at 5:43 AM Post #21 of 34
I would simply refuse no matter what - to do the right thing is reward enough.

And, yes - I have done exactly that.

Mar 19, 2006 at 1:14 PM Post #24 of 34
Have found a variety of valuables in my years...

Agree with all who said refuse, then accept, but with the modifier that if they look like they are struggling at all, I would not take the money.

I would counsel all to keep the valuables themselves, not to give to "lost and found" or to "Customer service" because of this: Found a tennis bracelet, approx four carat diamonds, and turned it in to customer service...they nearly snatched it out of my hands, snarling that a lady had been calling about it. Three days later, saw an ad about the bracelet, called the number, and the person identified its unique characteristics...we arranged to meet at the store where the customer service was, and they denied that I turned it in! We called the Police, and they took reports, but the lady never got her bracelet back.

Because of that experience, when we find anything, we just post a notice in the local papers and the pennysavers, post notes on the store bulletin board and so on, then wait for someone to correctly describe the item, or show a receipt or picture of the item.

Taking the item to the Police is a good but distant second best, as they "usually" return the item to the finder if the owner cannot be found, but the paperwork and followup is a PITA.

Best item we have found and managed to keep was a ladies' tennis bracelet, over five carats diamonds, 18k gold, israeli mfgr., my daughter found it in a costco when she was about 6, after three months of notices and ads, we had it repaired (It had a broken link) cleaned, appraised (at over $6000!) and gave it to her on her 16th Birthday, as a gift to her, from her.

Have returned wedding rings, wallets, tools, and once, a briefcase of bearer bonds worth over $11k! The fellow who lost the briefcase took us all out to a really nice restaurant, and also gave us a couple really fine bottles of wine.

Mar 19, 2006 at 1:19 PM Post #25 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by JahJahBinks
Say you recovered someone's fat wallet, the owner wanted to express his appriciation by handing over three benjamins, would you politely accept or refuse?

I'd refuse the money, but that's just me. I once found a bank deposit envelope at a gas station. Inside was a local hotel owner's weekend deposit, some $5000 in cash and checks. I was 500 miles from home, no one saw me pick it up and I could have just walked away. I'm not going to lie and say that it was an easy decision to turn it in but the look on the guys face when I met him at the police station was enough thanks.

Nate

Mar 19, 2006 at 3:08 PM Post #29 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Linda513
I wouldn't take the money. I'd ask him to donate it to his favorite charity instead.

Linda

Me thinks a perfect way to end this thread.

Mar 20, 2006 at 12:51 AM Post #30 of 34
I lost my wallet once and had it mailed to me, with the cash gone. I really didn't care, but by the time I got it back I had already gone to the trouble of cancelling my credit cards and replacing my driver's license. I wish the person had just called me, I would have been happy to give him the cash.

I also found a wallet once, immediately called the owner, then drove to his apartment to return it. He offered me nothing, which was fine by me. It was cool just to see his reaction when he looked inside and found the contents intact. In fact, I can't even remember how much cash he had in there, or if I even bothered to look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back