What would you do if someone gave you 900 dollars
Sep 23, 2011 at 12:37 PM Post #3 of 60
A new receiver

Speakers

A couple pairs of IEM's

That's all. Most on speakers.

Sep 23, 2011 at 2:02 PM Post #4 of 60
A decent amp for my next headphones...the Audeze. Hopefully. 

Sep 23, 2011 at 2:09 PM Post #5 of 60
Schiit Bifrost
RCA-mini cable (for my Fiio E9)
Hifiman HE-4

Sep 23, 2011 at 6:53 PM Post #8 of 60
I'll ask Uncle Erik for $1000 used speaker options 
smile.gif

Are we talking gear or all audio related stuff? I wouldn't mind another 100-200 CDs.

Sep 23, 2011 at 7:51 PM Post #12 of 60
I'll ask Uncle Erik for $1000 used speaker options 
smile.gif

Are we talking gear or all audio related stuff? I wouldn't mind another 100-200 CDs.

:)

Except I'd go DIY. Since I don't have too many speakers and no unfinished projects :D, I'd order drivers for the Zaph|Audio ZRT. I'm quite impressed with the measurements and attention to the design.

Either that or drivers for Troels Gravesen's OBL11. Maybe I'd just go for the OBL11 because I already have a pair of nice two-way floorstanders. The OBL11 is special because it's an open baffle with a 15" woofer. That might be the last word in getting great bass without having to fool with subs. Also, for a time back around when the ESL-57 was released, speakers like these were considered strong competition.

I'd also put the ProAc Response 2.5 clones on the table. I'm not sure about driver availablity today, but the parts and cabinets can be pulled together for about $900-$1,000. They're a load of fun with remarkable bass.

It is hard to believe people spend this much on cables. No one has been able to tell the difference in blind studies.

But $900 will pull down a kick-butt pair of speakers. Why buy something that might make a very slight difference (assuming you haven't been conned with a garden hose) when you can get performance about as good as anything out there?

If you skip the snakeoil and build a few things, you can have a reference-level setup for speakers and headphones, as well as a turntable, for $2,000-$3,000. Audio is actually pretty cheap today.

I don't understand why people drop $1,000 or more on silly little magical charms for an iPod while shying away from a real stereo that rocks. Well, not just rock, but also nail classical, jazz and anything else you throw at it.

Sep 23, 2011 at 8:07 PM Post #13 of 60
With $900..spend a wkd with my GF, nice places, gifts, restaurants. 

Sep 23, 2011 at 8:08 PM Post #14 of 60
$500 to credit card, $200 for HD-25.........hmmm.....$300 for an AMP/DAC combo? Or just send it to my card and think about something else..........maybe new breaks for my car and sway bars. Then there is the motorcycle class i wanted to take and skydiving....$900 won't cut it Mr.!
tongue.gif

And yes i'm no scientist but i would imagine at some point a cable is just a cable carrying electricity, copper is copper and silver is silver.
Wait, how did Koolkat post that if he's banned????

Sep 23, 2011 at 8:23 PM Post #15 of 60
try to get a yamaha mx-10000. this monster power amp can drive real 1200w into 1ohm loads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back