What would the upgrade path look like from a ART HeadAmp4 in terms of SQ?
Dec 7, 2010 at 4:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

morph2k4

100+ Head-Fier
I'm very new to amplification, but I just picked up this cheapo 4 way Amp on Amazon to get my feet wet.  I wasn't really sure what to expect, but I actually saw a reasonable improvement in SQ.  I was able to identify a few scratchy odd noises on tracks that the amp turned into audible instrument parts at the same volume level.  On the whole, I'm very happy with the purchase for $50.00.  However, I have a little spare cash to spend, so I'm considering upgrade prospects.  

I bought the 4 way splitter originally because I have several pairs of headphones, and switching plugs frequently is a hassle.  My source is a Sound Blaster DAC/soundcard, and here are the phones I will be using:

-Modded Grado SR-80
-Denon D2000
-Shure SE530
-Sennheiser HD595

I don't mind losing the extra channels if there are reasonable SQ improvements to be had.  I find there is a price shelf in most markets where diminishing returns on quality start to cost more and more.  For portable amps, I fear I would have to spend quite a bit more money (300+) to see a quality improvement.   I guess what I really want to know is what makes the headamp4 so cheap?  Its less money than the mint tin bass boost CMOY, and the multiple channels must affect quality and or cost in some capacity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back