What would be better for gaming?
May 13, 2009 at 6:55 AM Post #46 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Foe-Hammer I know you're an advocate for the DT880's for gaming but I'll still have to go AD700 for positional gaming. Much better positioning. Atmospheric gaming = well DT880's.

Probably so without Dolby Headphone DSP (DH) and a good amp. But the 880's have the best synergy with DH that i have tried. I get great positioning, soundstage, depth and bass impact - the complete speaker like package, with the added detail of headphones. My next purchase is the Beyer Headzone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To be fair... He is using a very, very good amp which really brings out the strength of the DT880. The you add in DD 5.1. I owned the VHP1, he has the up graded VHP2. So I can attest to their gaming prowess..But you still need to get the VAC1 PS.. Makes a huge difference in bass..Like physically feeling the bass.

I really need to get the VAC1....

May 13, 2009 at 8:31 AM Post #47 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Still sounds to general? Are you talking about a 1-2 hundred HTIB?

No. Those in that price class aren't worth considering. Something around £1000. You can't expect a quality, complete 5.1 system in components compared to quality headphones of even quarter the price, after all what's in a pair of headphones? Two drivers, two cups, headband and some cable.

What's in a 5.1 system? 5 tweeters, 5 mid/bass drivers, 1 subwoofer driver, 6 speaker cabinets, 6 crossovers, internal wiring (6), input connectors, 5 runs of speaker cable, subwoofer cable, av amp which costs of casing, power supply, licensing of audio codecs, 8 channel pre-amps, bass managment, analogue & digital audio input & output switching, video input & output switching, remote control, 7 channels of amplificaiton. Subwoofer amplifier board & power supply. Devolpement of unit's firmware.

So yeah if you're comparing a cheap HTIB to quality phones, no wonder you prefer the phones. So would I. You really don't need to do room treatment, some common sense in placement with sutiable room in the first place (carpeted) and calibrated will be fine.

May 13, 2009 at 8:50 AM Post #48 of 65
With amped Medusa 5.1 phones, I had hoped for better overall SQ but it's allowable given the postional audio and detail. While they play music just fine in games and movies, for real music I switch to stereo phones.

May 13, 2009 at 10:44 AM Post #49 of 65
The AD900 are great for gaming due to large sound stage and comfort. they don't need an amp to sound good
smily_headphones1.gif

May 13, 2009 at 11:20 AM Post #51 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not worth creating a new thread just for a single question but is Team Fortress 2 online gaming free? When I logged into one of the included servers it said 99c a slot.

Hey, its not free as far as I know,

I bought mine through steam..

May 13, 2009 at 11:24 AM Post #52 of 65
So did I, purchased the orange box about 2 weeks ago for £5. Includes TF2. I loaded it up, search for servers and connected. On the virtual whiteboard it said 99c a slot. I think it was lumberyard level. Only played for about 20 minutes, if it's going to cost me not going to bother with it.

May 13, 2009 at 11:33 AM Post #53 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So did I, purchased the orange box about 2 weeks ago for £5. Includes TF2. I loaded it up, search for servers and connected. On the virtual whiteboard it said 99c a slot. I think it was lumberyard level. Only played for about 20 minutes, if it's going to cost me not going to bother with it.

lol. its free to play. what you saw was either an ad to rent a server or pay for a guaranteed slot on a server

May 13, 2009 at 1:33 PM Post #54 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Foe-hammer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Probably so without Dolby Headphone DSP (DH) and a good amp.

Amp = Rockhopper M3 (i.e. good amp)

Have Asus Essence STX which has Dolby Headphone
wink.gif

Still go AD700. Far better positional audio. Lacks impact and depth though thus not good for atmospheric gaming.
My scores in whatever game = significantly better playing with AD700's on tbh.

May 13, 2009 at 1:53 PM Post #55 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by ourfpshero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol. its free to play. what you saw was either an ad to rent a server or pay for a guaranteed slot on a server

This is probably it, once you have purchased TF2, it is free to play.

May 13, 2009 at 3:30 PM Post #56 of 65
I used to own the AD900, now own the DT880.

The DT880 are better headphones for gaming and movie watching IMO, especially if you use Dolby Headphone/Yamaha Silent Cinema. The DT880's soundstage is smaller, but more realistic than the AD900, plus the fact that it produces a lot more detail, makes 3D-imaging quite a bit better. Finally, the extra amount of bass (both in volume and impact) is appreciated since it will improve the overall immersion while watching/playing. The AD900 are fun headphones to listen to, but the DT880 have a more realistic sound. They will help you hear movies and games like they're meant to be heard.

When it comes to price-to-performance ratio though, the AD900 are hard to beat, especially since these will sound good without added amplification, but if you already have a proper amp, get the DT880.

I'm using the following setup:

PC with ASUS Xonar HDAV1.3 audio card / Sony Playstation 3 -> Yamaha RX-V663 AV receiver -> Beyerdynamic DT880

May 13, 2009 at 4:17 PM Post #57 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Amp = Rockhopper M3 (i.e. good amp)

Have Asus Essence STX which has Dolby Headphone
wink.gif

Still go AD700. Far better positional audio. Lacks impact and depth though thus not good for atmospheric gaming.
My scores in whatever game = significantly better playing with AD700's on tbh.

I have never A/B them, so i cannot say for sure. But i have A/B the 880's with the 601's (and the 601's bests the AD700's on most all of its strengths, with the one exception being a slightly smaller soundstage). For positional sound, both the 880's and 601's are perfect, and no better then one from another. The 601's had better mids, and a larger front and back soundstage but the same left to right. The 880's had better bass, slightly better detail, and overall more realistic sound for games. Gun fire sounds perfect. My k/d ratio was the same for both headphones. I have no prob whatsoever with positional audio with the 880's, so i don't see how the AD700's could be that much better to make a difference. But ears vary, so headphone results will too.

May 13, 2009 at 8:40 PM Post #59 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lettu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're a competitive gamer save your money because cans don't really make a difference. IMO

It's one thing to say that they make no difference for you, but you can't assert that they don't make a difference for anyone, really, when plenty of people have said it helped them. The difference between crap headphones and HD650s (these were my first decent pair), for me, was the difference between always knowing what was going on around me and being able to catch anyone coming from behind and being confused all the time, never knowing where the sounds were coming from.

Unless you think I'm wrong/lying about my own personal experience.

May 13, 2009 at 11:28 PM Post #60 of 65
What would be better if I cared more about the overall atmosphere of the game over simply positioning - AD900 or DT880 properly amped? I'm guessing it'll be DT880 as many people have pointed out.

Also Auzentech Forte vs Asus Essence STX as a soundcard? Many people have been saying that the Forte better for gaming, but I was wondering if Dolby Live (Forte) or Dolby Headphone (Essence) is better for gaming and movies?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back