What will Pitchfork choose as their #1 album of this decade?
Sep 28, 2009 at 6:19 AM Post #106 of 140
Great list so far. Dropping Tha Carter II at #178? Placing Mountain Goats two ahead of it? Awesome stuff.

I happen to be an unabashed pitchfork fan. I can't see how anyone who loves pop music is not. I don't even bother to read the reviews -- just listen to everything above an 8 and throw out everything that's noisy, and you're set.

Seriously, have you all listened to "The XX"? Pitchfork continues to astound me with what they present me with, for free no less.

Sep 28, 2009 at 9:44 PM Post #109 of 140
I run vista on a Dell Inspiron E1505. The internet on it constantly disconnects completely. The little blue globe turns into the red X. My brothers laptop never has the same problem so I assume its my computer and not the internet. My computer also tends to have lag problems, especially with windows media player and playing music. The music skips and lags and PISSES ME OFF. help me please.

Sep 30, 2009 at 8:01 AM Post #110 of 140
LOL... I like how they put an album they rated 0.6 at #144
tongue.gif

Pitchfork: Staff Lists: The Top 200 Albums of the 2000s: 150-101

Sep 30, 2009 at 10:52 AM Post #112 of 140
if you wanna real hot show come to my room. Here you can find all your dreamsand fulfill all
your wildest fantasies. ONE HOT SEXY BLACK QUEEN FOR ALL URLUSTFUL PLEASURE AND
FANTASIES Live XXX Chat Live Cam, see this cam model LIVE, just click on the picture and follow
the instructions to see them LIVE on cam for youT

more there webcam

Oct 1, 2009 at 7:34 AM Post #114 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by shampoosuicide /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm surprised no-one has mentioned Broken Social Scene in this thread. I would love to see You Forgot It in People in the top 10, if not top 20.

shampoo suicide is the most listened-to song in my itunes. Just an amazing track.

Oct 1, 2009 at 7:34 AM Post #115 of 140
Several years ago, I began acquiring every 9.0+ and Best New Music album from Pitchfork. Many of those albums are on this list, and they are among the albums I believe will stick with me forever. How is Pitchfork not one of the best resources for learning about music, as compared to a Rolling Stone, which gives seemingly every album 4 stars?

Also, "they" don't decide the rankings, because each reviewer's individual list is what contributes to the rankings. Thus, nobody says "We're not voting Kid A, okay?" It is very democratic, from what I can tell.

Oct 1, 2009 at 7:40 AM Post #116 of 140
I only really read Pitchfork for a good laugh. I really don't like the slant a lot of their reviewers tend to have. They either tend to be snotty or won't admit liking a certain band because it'll damage their "indie cred". I just end up taking suggestions from friends or browsing around Wiki in the genre I want to explore and taking bands from there and listening to them.

How many times has a friend shown you a song that they're absolutely going mad over but it doesn't quite hit you the same way? Music is supremely subjective and I'm not going to let the opinion of some 20something who starts foaming at the mouth whenever someone mentions anything related to Stephen Malkmus change my opinion on a band.

By the way,You Forgot It In People is a *fantastic* album.

Oct 1, 2009 at 9:48 AM Post #117 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by 928GTS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I only really read Pitchfork for a good laugh.

By the way,You Forgot It In People is a *fantastic* album.

I've got a love-hate with Pitchfork. They introduced me to so many fantastic albums, You Forget it in People is one of them, so was my pick for album of the decade - Moon & Antarctica. But, I also find myself absolutely hating some stuff they slobber all over. So, I don't trust them enough to just buy whatever they love, nor to dismiss whatever they hate.

It might be cool to bash Pitchfork, but it's a tremendous resource, and to suggest otherwise is ludicrous. There's a guy in this thread who says their reviews are "meaningless and irrelevant" because of their narrow genre focus, and then, in another, he lists like 8 metal albums in his top 10 records of the decade.

I'll take Pitchfork over the haters any day of the week.

But, it's also sort of a parody of itself. It must be a very difficult place to work. You're forever deciding some band you used to hate is an overlooked genius and some band you used to love just released an album that's making you reconsider their entire catalog.
I imagine their offices and emails like the crowd at Homerpalooza:
"Are you being sarcastic?"
"I don't even know anymore..."

And even if the Pitchfork culture is easy to mock, I believe they know, love, and nurture the music community in ways we should all be thankful for.

Oct 1, 2009 at 9:57 AM Post #118 of 140
I'm predicting Speakerbox / The Love Below in the top 10....maybe top 5.......both Hey Ya and B.O.B. made it into Pitchfork's top 11 songs of the decade! "Hey Ya" number 11 and "B.O.B." #1! SO I would imagine the album which they both appear on will be in the top 10.............just guessing

Oct 1, 2009 at 12:47 PM Post #119 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...both Hey Ya and B.O.B. made it into Pitchfork's top 11 songs of the decade! "Hey Ya" number 11 and "B.O.B." #1! SO I would imagine the album which they both appear on will be in the top 10.............just guessing

"B.O.B" is actually on Stankonia, but I think your logic is dead-on.

Oct 2, 2009 at 5:11 AM Post #120 of 140
Top 20 just published:

01. Radiohead - Kid A
02. Arcade Fire - Funeral
03. Daft Punk - Discovery
04. Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
05. Jay-Z - The Blueprint
06. Modest Mouse - The Moon & Antarctica
07. The Strokes - Is This It
08. Sigur Rós - Ágætis Byrjun
09. Panda Bear - Person Pitch
10. The Avalanches - Since I Left You