What will Pitchfork choose as their #1 album of this decade?
Oct 2, 2009 at 5:44 AM Post #122 of 140
i came in here just now to say that it would HAVE to be Kid A.

I was browsing their site earlier, and seriously, every band i looked up in their reviews they compared to Radiohead.

i cant remember the last time ive seen such blatant fan-boy-ism.

theyre like Ford owners.

Oct 2, 2009 at 5:57 AM Post #123 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by chud /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was browsing their site earlier, and seriously, every band i looked up in their reviews they compared to Radiohead.

i cant remember the last time ive seen such blatant fan-boy-ism.

theyre like Ford owners.

LOL.

I opened up the reviews to the last 10 albums placed on their Best New Music list and 2 of them had Radiohead references. "Every band" like you say is surely an exaggeration, but what I saw was already two references too much, so point taken
tongue.gif

Oct 2, 2009 at 6:20 AM Post #125 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by fuseboxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL.

I opened up the reviews to the last 10 albums placed on their Best New Music list and 2 of them had Radiohead references. "Every band" like you say is surely an exaggeration, but what I saw was already two references too much, so point taken
tongue.gif

ha, yeah, i was being extreme, but my brother and i were laughing pretty good after a while. i'd be reading about some band like...i dunno....Cave In.....and pitchfork would be like "the Boston boys took a major turn in sound, much like Radiohead..." or something to that effect.

Oct 2, 2009 at 6:26 AM Post #126 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by Matro5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Chud, Pitchfork bashing aside, what do you think of the list?

Did you post on the Head-fi album of the decade thread? Kid A did pretty well there, too.

I'm not bashing them as a whole. They have plenty of good input and opinions, and the site is a goldmine for off the radar music.

they just make it blatantly obvious that Radiohead can do no wrong in their eyes and it's to the point that i'm starting to think that makes them lose some of their credibility. just going off of memory, i think the only album that got below an 8 was a Best Of.

and yes, i did post in that thread and even started my own for the discussion of why everyone enjoys Kid A so much. i bought the album when it came out. liked it a lot. just last week i rebought it and "critically" listened to it and like it even more. i have no problem with Radiohead or Kid A whatsoever and I supposed if any album is going to be best of the decade, well...a lot worse can be done than Kid A, so im not complaining.

As far as the top 20 goes...it's fine. there is nothing on there that doesnt deserve to be, in my opinion. and it's a nice mix of rock, experimental, folk, rap, hip hop, etc etc.

the ONE album that in my opinion didnt get near enough recognition and should have made the top 20 is The Fire Theft. that's really my only gripe.

Oct 2, 2009 at 6:48 AM Post #127 of 140
KId A at first was no surprise, and i have no objections.

Same goes for Funeral. In my own personal list, Funeral would place higher than Kid A, but I cannot deny the impact Kid A has on this decade.

And I am happy one of my all time favorite albums, The Moon and Antartica, placed as high as it did.

I get about 70% of my music recommendations from Pitchfork, and while they may be a bit too hipster for their own good once in a while, it is an awesome site, and imho, the best music site (in content, selection, and sheer wealth of information) in the web right now.

Oct 2, 2009 at 6:56 AM Post #128 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by reorx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
KId A at first was no surprise, and i have no objections.

Same goes for Funeral. In my own personal list, Funeral would place higher than Kid A, but I cannot deny the impact Kid A has on this decade.

And I am happy one of my all time favorite albums, The Moon and Antartica, placed as high as it did.

x2, verbatim. I was living in NYC the day Funeral came out and a friend from work and I ran all over the city trying to track down a copy. We can probably blame Pitchfork for our trouble, actually. I'll never forget the first time I heard Wake Up...to me, that's the best song of the decade.

But I voted for M&A as my favorite album of the decade and maybe ever.

Oct 2, 2009 at 7:29 AM Post #131 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by fuseboxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Such a beautiful song... and used wonderfully for the trailer of "Where The Wild Things Are"
smily_headphones1.gif

Absolutely.

I know the Arcade Fire has been reticent to license their music for films, and, perhaps with good reason, but I was floored when I saw that trailer. What a moment - just a perfect marriage of an incredible song and a book that sat on my nightstand for years.

I'm 28, but I was so happy I sent the clip to my mom...

Oct 2, 2009 at 7:41 AM Post #132 of 140
YES YES YES, Wake Up is an AMAZING SONG. Song of the decade for me as well. I wonder why Pitchfork glorifies Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels) as the best song in Funeral, when anyone with two ears and a brain can immediately tell Wake Up is a million times better (and Neighborhood #1 aint no slouch hehe)

If you havent yet, check out the version of Wake Up by the Arcade Fire - David Bowie collaboration. Absolutely hair-raising stuff.

My personal favorite moment is "i think we'll just have to ad-JUUUUUUUUUUSSSSSSSSSSSSSTTTTT"

biggrin.gif

Oct 2, 2009 at 7:48 AM Post #133 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by reorx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder why Pitchfork glorifies Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels) as the best song in Funeral,

they said something to the effect that Funeral is best heard from start to finish, but that isn't always possible and they feel Neighborhood #1 best exemplifies the album as a whole as to what you're going to hear along the journey.

don't quote me on that, but that was the gist, and i would have to agree.

Oct 2, 2009 at 8:36 AM Post #134 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by chud /img/forum/go_quote.gif
they said something to the effect that Funeral is best heard from start to finish, but that isn't always possible and they feel Neighborhood #1 best exemplifies the album as a whole as to what you're going to hear along the journey.

Yeah... as being representative of the album, I'd have to agree on that. But it's hardly the best song on it. "Wake Up" and "Rebellion (Lies)" are clearly better, imo... and I was never a fan of the Neighborhood Suite as a whole.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back