What were your mistakes you made buying your first or buying any IEM?
May 20, 2024 at 11:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

MonochromeFashionLawyer

100+ Head-Fier
What were some of the mistakes you made when you bought your first IEM?
My biggest mistake was not considering the genres I mostly listen to. I listen to a majority of hip-hop followed by EDM such as Drum N Bass. Other genres such as rock, jazz, funk come third by a long shot.

Considering my genres and if I could buy all over again, I would’ve bought a set with a V shape or bass boosted sound signature.

What are some mistakes you made buying your first IEM or any IEM in general?

May 20, 2024 at 1:26 PM Post #2 of 32
Trusting reviews.:rage:
Thinking that if I spent big money, I'd get to enjoy a flawless experience.
Getting IEMs with absurdly high sensitivity, not thinking much of it, even though I had nothing with a background quiet enough to avoid audible hiss(and I hate hiss!). I spent a lot of time and a non-trivial amount of money trying to have a rig that would do well with such IEMs, and that was another mistake IMO. Just going for another IEM with a lower sensi allowed me to then pick the DAP for what I cared about in a DAP, instead of sacrificing everything in hope of lower noise floor on those idiotically sensitive IEMs.
Getting custom IEMs from another continent wasn't particularly smart. Poor craftsmanship and understaffed customer service played the biggest part in my very first CIEM experience, but it surely would have been faster and cheaper if the maker had been nearby.

May 20, 2024 at 2:42 PM Post #3 of 32
I never gave thought about sensitivity and audible hiss in IEMs until now!

And I can agree with buying CIEMs from a different continent. I’ve messaged and emailed a few different companies outside the USA some basic questions about their products and have received great customer service only a handful of times. That already gave me red flags if it ever comes down to requesting warranty repair service. If anything I’ve searched for official US retailers so they may be the middle man.

May 20, 2024 at 3:59 PM Post #4 of 32
Overextended budget and Buying into the hype/namebrand. I did that with my old IE8i way back when I was in college. At the time, since I attended a show, I was able to get it for half off retail. It’s not a bad set in itself but it didn’t exactly line up with what I value when I listen and it definitely put a dent in my wallet at the time . But such is life, you live and learn.

May 20, 2024 at 5:53 PM Post #5 of 32
BC205D3A-1557-4C06-B0C5-7DF5E7947E60.jpeg

May 20, 2024 at 8:02 PM Post #6 of 32
Overextended budget and Buying into the hype/namebrand. I did that with my old IE8i way back when I was in college. At the time, since I attended a show, I was able to get it for half off retail. It’s not a bad set in itself but it didn’t exactly line up with what I value when I listen and it definitely put a dent in my wallet at the time . But such is life, you live and learn.

Hype is definitely a wallet killer. Especially when they have the words “limited edition” attached. Now that I’m older I avoid the hype and wait until a set has been out for awhile with reviews so I can get a consensus opinion on them.

As for overextended budget, I feel the “save up a little longer and get something even better” mindset is true most of the time but if that’s the case you’d never get in the hobby. I feel better telling others stick with a budget you’re comfortable with and jump in. Any first set should be better than what you have now and you’ll build your preferences with time. You’re going to make mistakes along the way so might as well make it earlier in the hobby.

May 20, 2024 at 8:10 PM Post #8 of 32
My wallet would like a word with you 😂
My mistake would be too impatient and not going all in.

For example, I tested almost the entire stock of my local hifi store on the hunt for my “endgame” (spoiler, the game, in fact, did not end) and ended up with Andro 2020 and U12t standing head and shoulder above everything else. I saved up just enough for Andro, so I went for it even though I prefer the U12t on all aspects.

I ended up coming back and buy the U12t as well a year later 😂 could have been patient for a few more months, and avoid spending one grand on the Andro. That IEM loses so much value that selling it feels like a waste.

May 20, 2024 at 9:53 PM Post #10 of 32
I ended up coming back and buy the U12t as well a year later 😂 could have been patient for a few more months, and avoid spending one grand on the Andro. That IEM loses so much value that selling it feels like a waste.

Oh my goodness your $1000+ mistake hurts even MY wallet. That’s rough.

Going for the expensive younger company 64Audio Trio rather than the Sony IER Z1R which is a Pioneer company with the developed more sophisticated sci fi sound of headphones.

It’s definitely harder to take a chance on a younger company. Although I’ve heard great things about the Trio, the Z1R is still at the top of a lot of ranking lists. Sony is doing something right.

May 20, 2024 at 9:59 PM Post #11 of 32
It’s definitely harder to take a chance on a younger company. Although I’ve heard great things about the Trio, the Z1R is still at the top of a lot of ranking lists. Sony is doing something right.

64 audio is an old and established company and Trio is one of the finest V-shaped IEMs out there. I don’t understand the regret here 🤔

May 20, 2024 at 10:04 PM Post #12 of 32
Wait, I know, one more mistake: relying on the audio source device loaned by hifi store to audition gear

My local store has an A&K SP2000 and a few other TOTL DAPs for customers to test IEMs. If you listen to that one to buy an IEM to plug in to your laptop at home, you are going to have bitter buyer remorse 😂

May 21, 2024 at 12:25 AM Post #14 of 32
64 audio is an old and established company and Trio is one of the finest V-shaped IEMs out there. I don’t understand the regret here 🤔

That wasn’t my regret. I haven’t heard the Trio yet but I will one day.

Wait, I know, one more mistake: relying on the audio source device loaned by hifi store to audition gear

Oh that’s a good one. It’s like demoing speakers in a treated room at the home theater store.

May 21, 2024 at 5:01 AM Post #15 of 32
1. I kept re-buying the same IEM when one side broke (non replaceable cables) ...

I think I went through 4 pairs of Sony 888's. 2 pairs of Ety4P and 3 pairs of Shure 530/535. On a student budget. Lots more options these days.

2. Not buying second hand. Why be an early adopter? You rarely lose money on an IEM purchased for a good price used that is in demand - if you look after it.

3. Being an early adopter to hype and buying without a proper audition. Expensive mistake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back