What were your mistakes you made buying your first or buying any IEM?
May 21, 2024 at 5:38 AM Post #16 of 32
Not understanding / knowing what my preference was / is.

Listening to others opinions / reviews without knowing what genre's they listened to.

May 21, 2024 at 5:59 AM Post #17 of 32
1. I kept re-buying the same IEM when one side broke (non replaceable cables) ...

I think I went through 4 pairs of Sony 888's. 2 pairs of Ety4P and 3 pairs of Shure 530/535. On a student budget. Lots more options these days.
Damn. What did you do with them, falling asleep with them? :floatsmile:

May 21, 2024 at 7:02 AM Post #18 of 32
Just trusting one small reviewer whose tastes didn't align with mine at all. Thankfully it was a cheap mistake (KZ PR3). Although crazy enough I still use it at times using a 500 mesh filter. Still bright for my taste tho.
Otherwise I can't say I made many mistakes apart from not respecting my finances... I bought too much audio stuff in the past half year that I really need to take it very very easy for a while.

May 21, 2024 at 8:35 AM Post #19 of 32
id share but ill deny it

May 21, 2024 at 8:39 AM Post #20 of 32
Taking advice from people who listen to k-pop and j-pop.

May 21, 2024 at 8:45 AM Post #21 of 32
I think everyone at least once fell for reviews and hypes... very likely even more than once :grin:

The trick is to not trust reviews and hypes in the beginning until you know exactly who made the review or started the hype train. Learn and listen very carefully what the sound and tuning preferences of a reviewer are, no matter where you get your info from. Then you might be able to minimize unnecessary costs and at the same time increase your experience and most importantly satisfaction.

May 21, 2024 at 11:30 AM Post #22 of 32
2. Not buying second hand. Why be an early adopter? You rarely lose money on an IEM purchased for a good price used that is in demand - if you look after it..

I’m all for buying second hand but I’m always nervous if the item may be out of warranty and the manufacturer is not in the US to provide support. Some of these ChiFi companies I communicated with can be extremely slow to respond and I’m always wondering if my words are getting lost in translation.

May 21, 2024 at 11:47 AM Post #23 of 32
I’m all for buying second hand but I’m always nervous if the item may be out of warranty and the manufacturer is not in the US to provide support. Some of these ChiFi companies I communicated with can be extremely slow to respond and I’m always wondering if my words are getting lost in translation.
If you’re thinking about Chi-fi for warranty it’s far easier to just buy a new one. You’ll likely have to send it back to the manufacturer…at your own expense which can be as much as what the IEM is worth.

May 21, 2024 at 11:57 AM Post #24 of 32
May 21, 2024 at 7:12 PM Post #25 of 32
If you’re thinking about Chi-fi for warranty it’s far easier to just buy a new one. You’ll likely have to send it back to the manufacturer…at your own expense which can be as much as what the IEM is worth.
Dealing with customs alone can be a major headache.

I would love to get CIEMs one day but I would stick with US companies for ease of mind.

May 22, 2024 at 12:09 AM Post #26 of 32
What if Bob Ross was really a serial killer and the paintings are of where he buried the bodies?
🤣
My daughter spent hours watching him paint on TV -- she is now a watercolor artist !!

May 22, 2024 at 12:18 AM Post #27 of 32
Sorry my previous post was off-topic -- couldn't resist!
My mistakes fall in the "trusting reviews" category: 1) assuming their audio terms mean the same thing to me; 2) believing reviews are "objective", when they are mostly personal preference; 3) not willing to be patient and try many IEMs to find my set -- alot of buying and selling mostly here in Classifieds. BTW, currently my set is the Tansio Mirai/TSMR X (10th anniversary) with a Hakugei 4.4mm 2-pin cable.

Last edited:
May 22, 2024 at 12:31 AM Post #28 of 32
What if Bob Ross was really a serial killer and the paintings are of where he buried the bodies?
It’s … happy accidents 😉

Users who are viewing this thread

Back