What was your "gateway drug" IEM?
Jul 10, 2011 at 1:44 AM Post #31 of 51

Quote:
shure e2c's - the wire cracked, forcing me to get something else. then came the ety mc5s. and then i got addicted to the ety sound signature and tried the er-4p/s and i've been hooked ever since. :frowning2:

Your wire cracked on your e2c as well? lol must have been a problem for those, as they were my gateway drug too. Wow, those things were indestructible now that I think about it, they had rough times!

Jul 10, 2011 at 4:15 AM Post #32 of 51
I still frickin adore the sound of the JH13. Definitely a step up from the UE11 which got sold. I'm now one of the currently poor saps still waiting for the JH3A... I did have it in broken form for a few days, but I'm hoping they'll return it in working order soon. Enduring JHA's communication incompetence has not been fun, but I'm still hoping I'll have a pair of headphones I love in the end.

IEM's ftw!

I was considering adding either ES5 or JH13 when I read about the impending release of the JH3-A. I pretty much decided I wanted one, but following that thread man, I am so glad I didn't order. I'd be frustrated as hell by now.

As it stands I'm just a potential customer waiting for a stable product and a proven release date. It is so much easier to wait when you are not financially committed.

Good luck getting that 3-A back ASAP.

Jul 10, 2011 at 11:37 PM Post #34 of 51
ER4. I had a pair of ER6i for a couple of years before that I never really warmed up to and only used on planes and treadmills. I ended up here and saw that the ER4 was supposed to be better so I tried them. After a couple of days I remember thinking that I could not believe IEMs could sound so good. It's been downhill from there. I have tried a few others of the higher end but I keep going back to the ER4. Right now I seem to be mostly stuck on a pair or DBA-02.

Jul 10, 2011 at 11:44 PM Post #35 of 51
Denon C452. It was the first time I had ever heard bass that was impactful, yet not muddy (well, they are sort of muddy, but not like the swamps known as mainstream). Isolation was out-of-this-world to compared to the swamps.

On a side note, I almost lost faith when I first heard Bose headphones. They sounded quite a bit better than my current headphones at the time, but they didn't sound like they were worth even a 1/3 of the price.

Jul 11, 2011 at 12:11 AM Post #36 of 51
Definitely the Etymotic ER6i. I bought them on an amazon special (3 day sale, I think) for $49. I remember the first time I used them, I was hit with the realization that midrange and treble in music were just as important as bass 
etysmile.gif
 I had only used Bose Triports and sub-$40 IEMs prior to that. It was an eye-opening experience, to say the least.

Jul 11, 2011 at 12:19 AM Post #37 of 51
Another sucked in by the ER6i. Though the iems that really got me to this site were the second set of Shures with cable issues. I decided that I wanted to have great sound that lasted more than 6 months.

Jul 11, 2011 at 3:00 AM Post #38 of 51
The first headphones I ever bought that didn't come with my mp3 player was a set of CX300s.  Those lasted me a few years and I upgraded to some IE6s (still have both sets of Senns). I had those for about a year and then the bug hit...and hit hard.  I went through about 15-20 pairs of IEMs under 200 bucks and finally settled on a set of GR07s.  Hopefully these will keep me satisfied for a while.  :)

Jul 11, 2011 at 6:11 AM Post #39 of 51
It was the Shure E3C

I eventually broke the nozzle off of it. The truth is, I always hated the fit and because of that I think I treated them with little regard.  Any how, I work for a hearing aid company as an audiologist and we have a hearing aid lab....

So I figured, why not make a shell for the internals and place the Shure E3C internals in it, and the addiction began that day. After seeing the BA used in the Shure E3C,  I became determined to build a better "mouse trap."

4 years latter, and more money than I dare to say, now I make my own custom creations, every thing from the internals to the externals I design & assemble.

Noble Audio Stay updated on Noble Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/NobleAudio https://www.twitter.com/noblebywizard https://www.instagram.com/nobleaudio https://nobleaudio.com/en/ contact@nobleaudio.com
Jul 11, 2011 at 11:17 AM Post #40 of 51
Jul 11, 2011 at 11:32 AM Post #41 of 51
for me it was some no-name IEM i bought for like $3 USD in Hong Kong, they sounded amazing compared to my stock sony earbuds. After those broke I decided to try more expensive IEMs, I did some googling and found this site. Ended up buying the Vsonic RE0 Pro II Silver Cable. I was at the beach one day and it rained hard on us out of nowhere and caused one the left side of the Vsonics to break. Since I liked the Vsonics so much I wanted to buy a higher end pair from Vsonic but after doing some research I found out that they split into ViSang. Was looking for the ViSang R03 (i think?) looked all over Hong Kong for them until one store told me that the Brainwavz M2 were the same thing. Bought those and loved them like crazy.

After the M2's, now I have the EX1000's , ATH-M50, and now I have B2 on order lol.

My M2's still get much use from my friends. They don't think that the EX1000s are "that much" better.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 11, 2011 at 12:12 PM Post #42 of 51
V-Moda Bass-Freq IEMs I got for $20 back in 2008. They lasted nearly 2 years and when they finally broke, I got a pair of RE0s. The rest is history.

Jul 11, 2011 at 3:53 PM Post #43 of 51
I had a few different things at the beginning - ADDIEM, B&O A8, UE Metro.fi 170, Skullcandy Titan and none of them were good enough to fuel a habit. Then I got the TF10s and have been completely out of control until recently. I eventually reshelled the TF10 through Fisher. I also had them do a pair of Klipsch Custom3. Since I bought the 1964Ears Quad, I haven't bought anymore IEMS.

Jul 12, 2011 at 4:46 AM Post #45 of 51
I already owned several pairs of IEMs but the one that made me truly respect the IEM in general was the RE0. First time I could use an IEM for actual critical listening. It still remains one of my favourite IEMs of all time. If you properly amp that thing (Headstage Arrow 12HE in my case), and add just a tiny bit of bassboost, it turns into an almost "perfect" earphone in my opinion. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back