what was your first computer?
Jun 12, 2007 at 5:25 AM Post #136 of 167
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morph201 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
APPLE IIe
wink.gif

X2

though I'm not sure which Apple II i had to be sure. We also had a Commodore monitor paired up with it! So many memories!

Afterwards, we got a blazing fast 486dx 33mhz, 4mb ram, 250mb HD!!!!!
blink.gif

Then built a computer, then I went back to apples, and haven't turned back since. Well... aside from the cheap computer my sister built for around $600 to play video games, but it seems to me that might not be necessary anymore with the new Apple Keynote Address!

Jun 12, 2007 at 5:30 AM Post #137 of 167
The resplendent Macintosh SE/30 (1989).

250px-Se30.jpg

I performed some of my laziest music duties ever on this trinket: Receiving messengered SMPTE-striped cassettes of songs from a slovenly producer, writing keyboard arrangements in Performer 2.0, sending my arrangements to the producer by modem, then receiving my messengered check along with the next batch of songs. Days passed before I actually left the house.

Jun 12, 2007 at 6:54 AM Post #139 of 167
Commodore 64/BBC Master System (the bomb, wish I still had one), then in 94 my family got a P60 with 540Meg HDD, 8 Meg RAM, 1MB S3 Videocard, 15 inch colour monitor, and 2x (as opposed to 52x) CDROM. Running DOS 6.1 and Windows for Workgroups 3.11, it was a helluva step up. A PITA to keep running right though...

Since then I've had an Athlon Thunderbird 1Ghz (bought in 2000) which only died this year, and now run a Pentium D at 3.6Ghz, gig of ram, the usual stuff...

Jun 12, 2007 at 7:00 AM Post #140 of 167
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
An IBM pc with "dual 5 1/4" floppy drives"! Wow, was that ever "the best" at the time, circa 1983. This was in the days before hard drives, or even 3 1/2" discs. I've got fond memories of that old tank because with it I wrote the first draft of a college-level accounting textbook that is now going into it's 7th edition and still going strong!

Mine was an IBM "clone", with a Hercules monochrome monitor with 5-1/4" Floppy Drives.

Ah, the days of DOS. I don't really miss it.

The first PC I built myself from scratch was a Pentium III 733MHz. In fact, I still have the case I bought for it, the original Coolermaster ATSC. It's now my server.

-Ed

Jun 12, 2007 at 7:56 AM Post #142 of 167
First computer I USED was a Burroughs Business Computer, at Junior College program for High School Juniors who were sufficiently advanced...in 1970. The Disk Drives (it had two) were the size of Laundry Washers - you stopped them, checked that you had safed the read/write heads, flipped open the top access and pulled out a stack of disks that was two feet high - 40kbits per discpack, and swapped in the other platters. The computer programs were input by use of Hollerith punchcards, first written in flow charts in ALGOL/COBOL, and Math was in FORTRAN (still have the templates) and then punched on Hollerith cards. Woe unto you if you dropped the cards while walking across campus - you could spend hours restacking them, and if one got dirty or folded, or lost, then you had to go back and repunch them. Output was on the cards, too. If you wanted a printout, you took the cards over to the line printer.

When I got to College, my experience with computers made me the on-campus guru...at the computer lab, those of us in the inner sanctum wore white LabCoats, and we were on Dartmouth Time-Sharing with use of an IBM 360, complete with Cylinder drives that had the unimaginable Gigabytes of memory!! I probably used half a million dollars of U.S. Government budget money, playing LEM! We used old teletype machines that were tremendously loud, to print both our output, and to punch the tapes of our programs - inch-wide yellow tapes with lots of holes. The teletype machines were nearly as loud as jackhammers, and the room full of them were munching away all day and night, working at 100 baud, and later faster machines of 300 baud. Ahh, the smell of hot machine oil and paper!!! Best time to get anything done was from about Two in the AM to about Six.

Interestingly, at the time, MinuteMan Missiles were being de-commissioned, and the "brains" were pretty capable numeric processors - at the Academy, we had access to them as surplus, and we made an attempt to get them wired up to use for a powerful number cruncher. I worked on that project for a while with the professor, but it was not completed before I Graduated, in 1975.

First Computer owned, was a used IBM PC1, with a whopping 16k on the motherboard, 8066 chip, @4.77 Mhz, with single-density, single sided floppy disc drives of 180k storage capacity. 11-inch (IIRC) green phosphor monitor. I paid over $2000 for it in 1982, complete with EPSON 9-pin dot matrix printer - it is still going!!! Dos 1.1.

First "Laptop/Transportable" was a Radio Shack TRS - 101, ran on AA batteries. I used it to program the drive parameters of Sea-Land Container Cranes faster for the good drivers, and S L O W E R for the stupid ones, to keep them from wrecking. It was 1984.

Jun 12, 2007 at 10:01 AM Post #143 of 167
The first one I got to use was an Apple ][+.

The first machine (family) in the house was an Apple //e.

The first computer I bought for myself was a Macintosh Classic.

In the past few years, I have bought the two computers that I dreamed of in my early youth: the Mac IIfx and the NeXT cube. Both still run and are a blast to use. System 6 *screams* on the IIfx... just as snappy as a modern OS and a whole lot more stable.

Currently running a dual Opteron Linux beast and a shiny new MacBook.

Jun 12, 2007 at 10:23 AM Post #144 of 167
An IBM XT, I don't remember a lot about the specs because it was 24 years ago but I do remember it had dual 5 1/4" floppy drives, 256K bytes each and a green monitor. I used it primarily for project management using a package called "Project Manager Workbench". It was a project in itself running that stuff on the XT.

Jun 12, 2007 at 10:23 AM Post #145 of 167
Our first was an Atari 130SE. It had an extra 64k of memory you could access which helped if you didn't mind the hassle of accessing it.

Jun 12, 2007 at 1:07 PM Post #146 of 167
We first got a computer back in 97. It was a Compaq Presario with a Pentium 200mhz CPU and 32MB of ram. I sped it up a little later by getting a voodoo 2 graphics card.

Compare that to the Dual core e6600 I have OC'ed to over 3ghz, 2gigs of ddr2 1066mhz ram, and an 8800 gtx oc2. We've come a long ways in 10 years.

Jun 12, 2007 at 1:36 PM Post #147 of 167
My first computer was a 286, I'm guessing the 6Mhz version.

Jun 12, 2007 at 2:44 PM Post #148 of 167
coming from a family growing up around computers...we had a commodore an amiga, some funky computer with a red screen and god knows what else. I still remember runnig dos commands, so whatever the first computers out then is what i had. My first computer was a 286, then upgraded to a 386, then a a p66. I felt really cool when i got my dads p166. Then i took the jump to a p400 - oh man i was cooking. It fried, bought a dell 600mhz. My brother than gave me his 1.7ghz after 4 years. Then i got into building pc's and gave myself a nice 3ghz computer and today im running on a dual core x2 6400, with 4gb ram and 1.8tb of hard drive space...man how times have changed.

Jun 12, 2007 at 4:12 PM Post #149 of 167
I went though a very similar path to Darkestred.

286->486->p100->p400->1Ghz T-Bird -> 2.8 P4 -> 3.0 P4 -> Dualcore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back