What volume on headphones you use?
Mar 16, 2014 at 3:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

GrmanRodriguez

New Head-Fier
Is it true that if you listen to music at max volumes your ears can be damaged? You'd think manufacturers make their headphones safe even at max volumes. What about the theory that the higher the volume the better the quality? What volume do you listen to music at with your headphones?

Mar 16, 2014 at 3:29 PM Post #2 of 9
I would whole heartedly recommend that you listen at low to moderate volume. The more higher volume you use, the more your ears get used to it. I.e get damaged. 

If you are listening to very high volumes at a young age by the time you are in your thirties you may well develop tinnitus - a constant ringing sound. This is your brain compensating for the frequency loss caused by damage from loud noise. You can't escape the high pitched ringing sound. 

Any head-fiers claiming that headphones sound better at much louder levels are being really quite ignorant. And I've never heard this in my experience. Some headphones pack more punch at moderate volume over low. But most quality headphones sound just as good at a sensible volume. 

Low volume is cool - so don't be a fool..  (just made that slogan up! :D)

Mar 16, 2014 at 3:41 PM Post #3 of 9
I listen at very quiet volumes, just louder than the fishtank, heater vents blowing, or washing machine down the hall.  I'll turn it up a little louder than that on occasion.  I never listen at live concert levels.  IMHO most music loses dynamics and depth the louder I turn it up.  It starts to sound more compressed the louder I turn it up.

Yes hearing loss and permanent damage is a VERY REAL thing everyone should consider.

Heres a cool little experiment... Get yourself some foam-roll earplugs and wear them all day and into the evening.  Take them out at night before retiring and be amazed at how sensitive your hearing has become.  You'll hear rattling zipper pulls clear as a bell, and clothing fabric whooshing as it rubs against itself.  The brain automatically adjusts and re-calibrates itself to the surrounding acoustic environment... without us even knowing it.

Mar 16, 2014 at 3:45 PM Post #4 of 9
Is it true that if you listen to music at max volumes your ears can be damaged? You'd think manufacturers make their headphones safe even at max volumes. What about the theory that the higher the volume the better the quality? What volume do you listen to music at with your headphones?

I suggest you read this well-written article by Tyll on Innerfidelity: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/loud-music-sucks

In summary, loud music can damage your ears and actually makes music sound worse. There are headphones that regular volume though, and designed for that purpose.  UE released one model, Etymotic has one out as well. 

Mar 16, 2014 at 5:24 PM Post #5 of 9
Loud music is fine as long as you don't listen to it for prolonged periods. Especially true for music with high dynamic range.

What about the theory that the higher the volume the better the quality?

Why would you listen to quiet music at high volumes? Your're listening to music, not signal reproduction.

Mar 16, 2014 at 5:35 PM Post #6 of 9

I think people should be a little responsible and not blow out their earholes. It's like saying car manufacturers shouldn't make cars that go over the maximum speed limit.

Mar 16, 2014 at 6:09 PM Post #7 of 9
Old saying that you can not idiot proof anything.... There are always dumber and dumber idiots. Fwiw, music players do come with volume limiters that can turn on or off.

Mar 16, 2014 at 7:51 PM Post #8 of 9

Volume is all dependent on the amp, really. Max volume on smartphones is nowhere near max volume on most standalone amps. There's really no standard for how loud an amp should be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back