What type of sound do you prefer in an in-ear headphone?
Jan 4, 2009 at 2:43 AM Post #31 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by billybob_jcv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not sure 31 voters would be considered a statistically significant population...
tongue_smile.gif

Well obviously...but lets see how high that vote count can go!

Jan 4, 2009 at 3:11 AM Post #32 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by TacticalPenguin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is my point shown or do I need to explain?

That doesn't mean the er4's have enough bass I am just pointing out some headphones have over emphasized bass but from what I have heard the ety's have recessed bass to put focus on the mids and highs which as most people see on the forum to be as analytical not balanced or neutral though some people call it "natural" I think the shure 530's are the ones known to be "natural"

Jan 4, 2009 at 3:56 AM Post #33 of 63
I voted for the last option, as I find myself in-between the 1st and 2nd choices. I like my music to be reproduced accuratley and naturally as the artist/producer intended. I do prefer a flat response, but also with a clinical, detailed, surgeon-like precision as well. I like my bass response fast, tight, punchy, but well-balanced.
Aloha
atsmile.gif

Headphile808

Jan 4, 2009 at 6:18 AM Post #34 of 63
well...this is hard...it all depending on what songs I am listening to...and I am interested in a large range of musics...

Jan 4, 2009 at 7:21 AM Post #35 of 63
analytical and detailed in mids and highs.

tight and deep bass.

any IEMs that combines these two together?

smile_phones.gif

Jan 4, 2009 at 8:19 AM Post #36 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by xcluded /img/forum/go_quote.gif

tight and deep bass.

smile_phones.gif

Westone 3 IMO - (Opposite Opinions accepted but no offensive ones please...I am getting scared these days with ANti-hyping people...)

Jan 4, 2009 at 3:40 PM Post #37 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by aj_brown_99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Imho, most live music has very little bass to begin with - think about it: when was the last time you were listening to someone play the drums and you got that thump of bass in your head like you would get with many cans. In this sense, the ER-4 seems to be just about on par with real life, it's just that most people these days seem to be accustomed to bass-heavy audio reproduction because the manufacturers realize that to the average consumer, more bass sounds better. I think that this is mainly because it is much easier for the average ears to detect a real low-end impact than it is for them to detect clean mids and highs. This is shown by such headphones as bose, skullcandy and the sennheiser cx300s, 500, creative ep630 etc. etc. which are all low cost phones designed for average consumers, not audiophiles who really appreciate other elements of music besides huge bass.

In this sense, I think that a "flat" response is not really what some people on this forum seem to picture it as. IMO a flat response is actually quite light on the bass end, somewhere in the nature of the ER-4, it's just that most people see a flat sound signature as having more bass than exists in real life, which is what a truly flat sound signature would imitate.

AJ,

I appreciate your points and don't have too much to disagree with. However I do take exception to your description of most live music as having very little base. I've gone to close to a 1,000 concerts during my lifetime and let me tell you from personal experience that most of my live shows have very pronounced base either from the base instrument itself or the drums. I've seen classical, rock, jazz, jamband, reggae, and many other types of concerts. I'll admit that there is variance between the base levels at different shows, but still very pronounced.

In order to accurately reproduce a live musical experience via headphones or IEM's you definitely require noticeable base. In my opinion this base reproduction shouldn't sound bloated or uncontrolled, but rather tight, quick, and very controlled.

Any that's how I feel.

Jan 4, 2009 at 8:04 PM Post #38 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Feather225 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Westone 3 IMO - (Opposite Opinions accepted but no offensive ones please...I am getting scared these days with ANti-hyping people...)

Ditto!

Jan 4, 2009 at 8:19 PM Post #39 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx20001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
analytical is boring, warm is fun...

question is why do you listen to music, do you listen to judge? if so you may prefer a balanced or analytical sound.

do you listen to be entertained? if so you will enjoy a warm sound that emphasises beat and flow.

i listen to be entertained, therfor i find earphones like ety's ar4p for example to be stale and certainly belongs in the studio for music making and judgement.

smily_headphones1.gif

I own an Altec Lansing IM616, which have Ety's flat signature ...and while I appreciate details a lot, I just cannot be entertained by them. It's like hearing all instruments and sounds separately, playing just for themselves ..and I like to hear music as entire structure. That's why I like to listen music with my Denons C700 or Audio Technica CK7.

Jan 4, 2009 at 8:26 PM Post #40 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luckyleo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AJ,

I appreciate your points and don't have too much to disagree with. However I do take exception to your description of most live music as having very little base. I've gone to close to a 1,000 concerts during my lifetime and let me tell you from personal experience that most of my live shows have very pronounced base either from the base instrument itself or the drums. I've seen classical, rock, jazz, jamband, reggae, and many other types of concerts. I'll admit that there is variance between the base levels at different shows, but still very pronounced.

In order to accurately reproduce a live musical experience via headphones or IEM's you definitely require noticeable base. In my opinion this base reproduction shouldn't sound bloated or uncontrolled, but rather tight, quick, and very controlled.

Any that's how I feel.

agreed and also I do performances and drums and bass are definitely very well pronounced through a show. There is a reason drums are always in the back of the stage
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 4, 2009 at 8:40 PM Post #41 of 63
I know it's hard to achieve but I'd want a super wide soundstage with neutral characteristics. I don't know if there's a such thing in the market right now.

Jan 4, 2009 at 10:07 PM Post #42 of 63
Seems like I'm in the minority liking a warm sound. Must be why I like my D5000's so much.

I don't think many people here consider the triple.fi's "warm" though, but I love their sound signature. God, I just don't know anymore.

Jan 4, 2009 at 10:51 PM Post #43 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by xcluded /img/forum/go_quote.gif

tight and deep bass.

smile_phones.gif

I have a general question: isn't what this poster describes a balanced and neutral sound? In other words, excels across the spectrum?

Jan 5, 2009 at 5:54 AM Post #45 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crackerman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seems like I'm in the minority liking a warm sound. Must be why I like my D5000's so much.

I don't think many people here consider the triple.fi's "warm" though, but I love their sound signature. God, I just don't know anymore.

depends with comply's and a slightly warm source/amp they can be a bit warm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back