What type of sound do you prefer in an in-ear headphone?
Jan 3, 2009 at 5:54 AM Post #3 of 63
I see a lot of comments from people suggesting that anything that isn't neutral and balanced just isn't a properly constructed headphone at all. At least that's my impression. Is this what proponents of such a sound signature really think?

Jan 3, 2009 at 5:56 AM Post #4 of 63
well "properly constructed" isn't the word for it but real quality reproduction devices no matter what they be they will always be neutral balanced and transparent but that is very hard to truly reach in a headphone but there is some things that are very close
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 3, 2009 at 6:09 AM Post #6 of 63
not necessarily on the balanced thing. this brings the question, what is balanced? some say ER 4 is balance, others say it is falling off the scale on the high range end. some say SE530 is balanced, others say it is falling off the scale on the low end. both are high end phones.

Jan 3, 2009 at 6:24 AM Post #8 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyb213 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
no er4's are not balanced they are analytical...no way a headphone with no bass can be balanced like that....if your looking go for ue-10's

This is my point. How can you say it has no bass? I recall a few days ago seeing a thread where someone was gaping at their incredible bass. Many people will walk in with a shotgun if you insult their precious godly ER 4. How much bass is the right amount, anyway?

Also, post 400. wheee.

Jan 3, 2009 at 6:27 AM Post #9 of 63
I am not saying they are bad I am saying they are analytical and bass light (not including amping and eq) but the way a ue-10 pro is that is the reference point of neutral in iem's so if you look at the charts of those you will have a good idea
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 3, 2009 at 6:29 AM Post #10 of 63
In home theater, there is a concept known as the "house curve" that typically provides a boost of 2-5 db in the low frequencies - the idea being that this gives more impact to the movie, and it might help compensate for the often poor room acoustics.

My point is that the sound signature plotted on a graph doesn't always tell the whole story. Sometimes there are other factors involved (such as desiring more low-end impact, etc) that make a "colored" response more appealing than one that is ruler flat. Now with that said, it's also nice to have a *predictable* response from your system - one where you can boost or cut or stay neutral as you desire. IMHO that's where it get's very tricky - and it's one of the things that causes us to forever seek "better" - which might just really mean the system acts exactly as we expect, whenever we want it to...
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 3, 2009 at 6:34 AM Post #11 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by TacticalPenguin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is my point. How can you say it has no bass? I recall a few days ago seeing a thread where someone was gaping at their incredible bass. Many people will walk in with a shotgun if you insult their precious godly ER 4. How much bass is the right amount, anyway?

Also, post 400. wheee.

I don't know why but this post made me LOL. To be fair though, most people here say the ER4 has very little or "no bass".

Jan 3, 2009 at 6:43 AM Post #13 of 63
Headroom's old measurements showed the ER 4 as having a nearly perfectly flat line from 20 to a few thousand hz. Again, how do you judge bass? You're not answering my question, you're stuffing opinion/interpretation in my face as fact with no explanation. I'm not asking for an opinion on phones, I'm just using the ER 4 as an example. I'm asking how do you judge bass?

Jan 3, 2009 at 6:49 AM Post #14 of 63
on a scale you have how pronounced or un-pronounced er4 has a "flat response" which is not = to neutral or balanced per say but if you could find a frequency response chart of ue-10 pros that is a fairly neutral response but I cannot find one

Users who are viewing this thread

Back