What type of sound do you prefer in an in-ear headphone?
Jan 3, 2009 at 7:26 AM Post #17 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by neoufo51 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didnt realize "most people here" meant GreatDane...

Are you happy now
rolleyes.gif

...and you seem to have forgotten to fill out your profile.

Jan 3, 2009 at 7:45 AM Post #19 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by TacticalPenguin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
.......Many people will walk in with a shotgun if you insult their precious godly ER 4......

errr where's mah shotgun...hey Dane...bring those slugs will ya, we got em varmins to take care of....and and call em posse as well...we got some hanging coming....up....

ROFL
beerchug.gif

Jan 3, 2009 at 7:47 AM Post #20 of 63
Imho, most live music has very little bass to begin with - think about it: when was the last time you were listening to someone play the drums and you got that thump of bass in your head like you would get with many cans. In this sense, the ER-4 seems to be just about on par with real life, it's just that most people these days seem to be accustomed to bass-heavy audio reproduction because the manufacturers realize that to the average consumer, more bass sounds better. I think that this is mainly because it is much easier for the average ears to detect a real low-end impact than it is for them to detect clean mids and highs. This is shown by such headphones as bose, skullcandy and the sennheiser cx300s, 500, creative ep630 etc. etc. which are all low cost phones designed for average consumers, not audiophiles who really appreciate other elements of music besides huge bass.

In this sense, I think that a "flat" response is not really what some people on this forum seem to picture it as. IMO a flat response is actually quite light on the bass end, somewhere in the nature of the ER-4, it's just that most people see a flat sound signature as having more bass than exists in real life, which is what a truly flat sound signature would imitate.

Jan 3, 2009 at 4:34 PM Post #24 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by neoufo51 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks like balanced and neutral is going to run away with it.

I'm not sure 31 voters would be considered a statistically significant population...
tongue_smile.gif

Jan 3, 2009 at 4:42 PM Post #25 of 63
analytical is boring, warm is fun...

question is why do you listen to music, do you listen to judge? if so you may prefer a balanced or analytical sound.

do you listen to be entertained? if so you will enjoy a warm sound that emphasises beat and flow.

i listen to be entertained, therfor i find earphones like ety's ar4p for example to be stale and certainly belongs in the studio for music making and judgement.

Jan 3, 2009 at 6:18 PM Post #29 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by aj_brown_99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Imho, most live music has very little bass to begin with - think about it: when was the last time you were listening to someone play the drums and you got that thump of bass in your head like you would get with many cans. In this sense, the ER-4 seems to be just about on par with real life, it's just that most people these days seem to be accustomed to bass-heavy audio reproduction because the manufacturers realize that to the average consumer, more bass sounds better. I think that this is mainly because it is much easier for the average ears to detect a real low-end impact than it is for them to detect clean mids and highs. This is shown by such headphones as bose, skullcandy and the sennheiser cx300s, 500, creative ep630 etc. etc. which are all low cost phones designed for average consumers, not audiophiles who really appreciate other elements of music besides huge bass.

In this sense, I think that a "flat" response is not really what some people on this forum seem to picture it as. IMO a flat response is actually quite light on the bass end, somewhere in the nature of the ER-4, it's just that most people see a flat sound signature as having more bass than exists in real life, which is what a truly flat sound signature would imitate.

bass travels the furthest and irl it is not understated at all but I have never heard er-4's so I cannot judge if the bass is adequate or not
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 3, 2009 at 7:32 PM Post #30 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyb213 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
bass travels the furthest and irl it is not understated at all but I have never heard er-4's so I cannot judge if the bass is adequate or not
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyb213 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
no er4's are not balanced they are analytical...no way a headphone with no bass can be balanced like that....if your looking go for ue-10's

Is my point shown or do I need to explain?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back