What type of headphones do you recommend for a sound student?
Nov 24, 2008 at 6:21 PM Post #46 of 56
1. $200 price limit
2. works well for mixing and monitoring, flat sounding
3. comfort for 12 hour sessions
4. size and looks/durability
5. closed and is good at blocking outside sounds from being heard/closed and is good at not leaking sound out so as not to bother others near by
6. works well for classical, rock, jazz
7. easy to drive for an ipod, no amp needed
8. good for gaming (what type of gaming?)

hope this helps

Nov 24, 2008 at 6:22 PM Post #47 of 56
I forgot to mention that I would be using it for FPS games
My bad

Nov 24, 2008 at 8:01 PM Post #48 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by LaserWolf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1. $200 price limit
5. closed and is good at blocking outside sounds from being heard/closed and is good at not leaking sound out so as not to bother others near by

hope this helps

FWIR and based on your priorities, I suggest the Roland RH-300 for ~$183 shipped in the U.S. This is Roland's top of the line model. This is a great bargain. The best price I usually can find for it is $210 shipped. I really don't think you could go wrong with this purchase.

Edit:
Another Roland model you may want to consider is the RH-D30, designed more for DJs, slightly heavier, slightly better isolation (just guessing), slightly less comfortable for long sessions. I found it somewhere online for just under $200 shipped.

Nov 25, 2008 at 3:59 AM Post #49 of 56
hmm, thanks for the input but from what I've found it seems like the Rolands are more for Dance music.
okay. more questions. sorry to be so picky. If i completely disregarded the need for them to be usable with the Ipod, how would the 271's fit my needs. It seems like they're recommended for monitoring and mixing , however I was wondering if they're flatness is overly oppressive when using them for everyday use. What is the sound stage like on the 271's. is the auto on off switch thing useful or is it just annoying.
Thank you everyone

Nov 25, 2008 at 6:17 AM Post #50 of 56
I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest the Sony CD900ST/MDR-V7. It is the big brother of the Sony MDR-V6/7506 and is an improvement over them.
I have the V7 (discontinued consumer version) and they are great for studio use. Very comfortable (I've worn mine for over 10 continuous hours and and have not been bothered).
Only problem is, they have to be imported as they are no longer sold in the US. And that jacks the price up. That being said, I think they are probably near worth the money they go for.

my review of them can be found here

Nov 25, 2008 at 5:58 PM Post #51 of 56
I'm really looking to spend between $150 and $200. it's like I posted earlier. I really want to buy the more expensive set now so that down the road i won't necessarily need to upgrade quite as soon. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Nov 25, 2008 at 6:17 PM Post #52 of 56
Quote:

I'm really looking to spend between $150 and $200. it's like I posted earlier. I really want to buy the more expensive set now so that down the road i won't necessarily need to upgrade quite as soon. Thanks for the suggestion though.

You also may want to consider an Ultrasone from Northern Sound & Light, or the Audio-Technica ATH-M50, $200 MSRP, but available online for ~$110 shipped.

Nov 25, 2008 at 6:45 PM Post #53 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio-Fi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well... umm. Always MDR-7506/V6. Studio and field work right?

These or the Beyerdynamic DT250/80 would be my recommendation. Durable, not too bulky, not too expensive and very comfy.

Nov 25, 2008 at 9:30 PM Post #54 of 56
Quote:

1. $200 price limit

hope this helps

Aren't that eight different headphones?

Nov 26, 2008 at 3:36 AM Post #56 of 56
is $210 a good deal for a pair of used K701's would you guys recommend those for my needed use of mixing and monitoring?

edit:never mind I didn't realize they were open

Users who are viewing this thread

Back