What type of headphones do you recommend for a sound student?
Nov 2, 2008 at 2:19 AM Post #31 of 56
Whatever you get will have a flaw. Just get something rugged, closed, and learn what the flaws are so you can keep them in mind.

If it also happens to be something you enjoy the sound of enough that you listen to music recreationally with them then all the better.

I'd suggest DT250/k271

Nov 2, 2008 at 2:20 AM Post #32 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Beyerdynamic DT48 might be what you're looking for. Last I checked, the email price at B&H was $306. They're regularly used for those applications and studio work.

Closed and incredibly durable - I love the machined aluminum driver housings. Also, they're pretty damn good for jazz, classical and most acoustic music.

They could survive a nuclear blast.. None of the headphones listed are as durable as the 48's..By a long shot.

Nov 20, 2008 at 3:50 PM Post #33 of 56
Thank You for all the help and input everyone. I've decided to go with the beyerdynamic dt 250, and I'm going to be purchasing an Mbox2 Mini with pro tools Le to go with it so I can do some of my school work at home. Does anyone have any recommendations on where I could find some good deals/offers/sales on either of these items (other than Ebay)?
Thank you again for all of your help everyone.

Nov 21, 2008 at 2:02 AM Post #36 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by LaserWolf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank You for all the help and input everyone. I've decided to go with the beyerdynamic dt 250, and I'm going to be purchasing an Mbox2 Mini with pro tools Le to go with it so I can do some of my school work at home. Does anyone have any recommendations on where I could find some good deals/offers/sales on either of these items (other than Ebay)?
Thank you again for all of your help everyone.

DT150's would be better.. I never heard anyone that said a DT250 out performs their DT150.. Sen 25-1/AKG 271/DT48 should all be closely looked at..

Nov 21, 2008 at 2:20 AM Post #38 of 56
I was going to say, I am also a student doing a lot of sound synth, I use AKG 271 for it, or the sony mdr 7509 if someone is using the 271's. They are my favorite monitor headphones since they are very accurate and neutral.

Nov 22, 2008 at 7:02 AM Post #40 of 56
I don't particularly want to go with the dt150's because they have such a high impedance, and I will be using the headphones I purchase with my Ipod as well as battery powered field mixers.

Nov 23, 2008 at 5:31 AM Post #41 of 56
Quote:

Sen 25-1/AKG 271/DT48 should all be closely looked at

I've looked into these 3 as recommended, and I'm now considering either the 25-1 or the 271. I'm wondering just how durable the 25-1's are seeing as how they look like they are mostly plastic. how do these two headphones stack up against each other. they need to be fairly durable because I will be transporting them back and forth to class on a daily basis.

Thank you again everyone for all of your help, I really do appreciate it.

Nov 24, 2008 at 7:41 AM Post #43 of 56
I've been doing some reading and I've got a few more questions.

1. I've noticed that the Senheiser 25's are surpa aural does this affect comfort, especially for long wearing times (aprox 12 hour sessions).

2. how would the Akg 271's sound unamped because I would also being using them with my Ipod

3. for both headphones. I would be using them first and foremost for mixing and monitoring, so flatness is important but how would they sound with different types of music. I listen to everything from Rock to classical to jazz.

4. would a DAW such as a digidesign Mbox Mini or other digidesign module be strong enough to adequately power these head phones.

5. How would they sound for gaming.

Nov 24, 2008 at 8:36 AM Post #44 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by LaserWolf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been doing some reading and I've got a few more questions.

1. I've noticed that the Senheiser 25's are surpa aural does this affect comfort, especially for long wearing times (aprox 12 hour sessions).

2. how would the Akg 271's sound unamped because I would also being using them with my Ipod

3. for both headphones. I would be using them first and foremost for mixing and monitoring, so flatness is important but how would they sound with different types of music. I listen to everything from Rock to classical to jazz.

4. would a DAW such as a digidesign Mbox Mini or other digidesign module be strong enough to adequately power these head phones.

5. How would they sound for gaming.

FWIR...

1. Yes, the HD25-1 II probably is not the best choice for comfort for 12 hour sessions because it sits on the ears and is designed to clamp and isolate at some expense to comfort. Of course some may have no comfort problems with the HD25-1 II for daily 12 hour sessions, but I doubt that would be the norm.

2. The K271 needs and amp and won't work well with your ipod.

3. I don't know which would work best for mixing and monitoring.

4. I don't know what that is, but the HD25-1 II is easy to drive.

5. The HD25-1 II probably sounds good with gaming, but does not get recommended for gaming especially for first person shooter because of its smaller sound stage.

You seem to be looking for an all-in-one solution. Re-arranging the following in order of what is most important to you to least important will help others best advise you.

1. comfort for 12 hour sessions
2. easy to drive for an ipod, no amp needed
3. works well for classical, rock, jazz
4. closed and is good at not leaking sound out so as not to bother others near by
5. closed and is good at blocking outside sounds from being heard
6. $200 price limit
7. works well for mixing and monitoring, flat sounding
8. good for gaming (what type of gaming?)
9. size and looks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back