What type of headphones do you recommend for a sound student?
Oct 31, 2008 at 10:32 AM Post #18 of 56
V6 for sure. It's the de-facto standard for a reason. You could probably get more high-end headphones in your budget, but I don't know if there is a point.

Stay away from the HD280, its headband is prone to cracking. You don't want to replace your headphones once every 3 months. The bass is also really lacking on these, though with EQ you could bring it out.

If you don't care about them being closed, and actually do have a lot of power in whatever you'll be using your headphones with, you could go with an HD600. It's seriously versatile and very neutral, but it will not work out too well without some sort of amplification. 300 ohms is quite a bit. Still, get an amp behind these headphones and you won't need to get anything else for a very long time. They scale really well and are genuine high-end cans - though you'll also need genuine high-end gear to get them to that level.

I'll toss out the Audio-Technica ATH-A900 recommendation as well, but the midrange on these headphones is not neutral and tone is a bit off (slightly cold). Otherwise they do sound very good and will do everything you want.

Oct 31, 2008 at 11:00 AM Post #19 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by ckhirnigs113 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I say take a look at the Beyerdynamic DT150. They have gotten some pretty good press around here lately (try the search function). They can be had for $192 from B&H Photo, so they are within your price range. I know I am enjoying mine very much.

Will you be using an amp, because these require one to work well.

They are quite neutral, except for the bass. They are slightly bass-heavy.

Oct 31, 2008 at 6:17 PM Post #20 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You could probably get more high-end headphones in your budget, but I don't know if there is a point.

I kind of do want to get more high end headphones, since eventually I do plan on going into sound design as a career. I'd rather spend more money up front and get a good set than spend a little less and then have to upgrade shortly down the road.

Oct 31, 2008 at 7:42 PM Post #23 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by LaserWolf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I kind of do want to get more high end headphones, since eventually I do plan on going into sound design as a career. I'd rather spend more money up front and get a good set than spend a little less and then have to upgrade shortly down the road.

AKG K702
wink_face.gif

Nov 1, 2008 at 2:15 AM Post #25 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Orubasarot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You cant do field recordings with 702s though. But I do agree, instead of screwing around with upgrades, just get a pair of durable practical cans, and another pair thats the best in the market and be done with it.

1. K702 studio.
2. PRO/PL650 or HFI/700/650 Kick and bass in the studio + field recordings.
3. field recordings like TV - Movies, maybe DT48.

Nov 1, 2008 at 8:37 AM Post #26 of 56
DT150 are awesome for Sound student.

i tested them with several mics including SM58 of Shure at a Professional audio store.

their detail is simply too good especially for vocals....u can easily spot minor flaws in your voice modulation and the tone is accurately reproduced.

the guy had them with preamps and amps so i donno how they ll sound without it.

Nov 1, 2008 at 9:30 AM Post #28 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by REB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They are quite neutral, except for the bass. They are slightly bass-heavy.

That would depend on what you're monitoring. Compared to some monitors they're bass-heavy. Compared to others, like the DT-770, they're bass-light. I'd say that any bass-lighter than the 150 is going into inaccurately bass-light territory, which, while it can be useful for monitoring the rest of the sound, isn't accurate.

Nov 1, 2008 at 3:51 PM Post #29 of 56
I suppose there is a reason why the Sony V6 is everywhere. If you're a student on a limited budget, practicality should rule over all (that is until you start browsing Head-fi in further depth. Beware! haha). Of cousre there are better studio monitors out there, but most will cost so much more and do essentially the same job. The V6s are proven, durable, cheap, and fully collapsible. There's no need to baby them, they will always get the job done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back