What tubes are in YOUR Single Power right now?
Dec 29, 2009 at 4:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

M3NTAL

Headphoneus Supremus
Supra XLR - (2x) Tung-Sol 2C51 up front and (4x) GE 6BL7GTA

Slight bit of noise floor, but at listening level unnoticeable.

I would say this combo give you lots of dynamics with detail to match. The only thing I have heard another amp do better is the sense of air which could be a plus or minus depending on the music you listen to. It is very focused and not too large or too small sounding. I wouldn't mind having a little more "airiness" with some of the electronic music I listen to though.

Dec 29, 2009 at 9:37 AM Post #2 of 29
2x Tung-Sol 6BX7GT and Tung-Sol 6SN7, for now (basically, finishing testing).

I'll play with them soon, have a little box of 6SN7, 6BX7 6BL7 tubes that I have to try.
smily_headphones1.gif
Yes, mine can actually run 1.5A heater tubes, I don't recommend it any other amp unless you KNOW for a FACT what your transformer is and what the rating on your filament rectifiers is. When I cracked mine open (after the seller said he was running 3.6A combined for heaters), and saw a transformer with only 3A secondaries and diodes rated at 3A, I was a little unnerved.

Dec 29, 2009 at 11:54 PM Post #5 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by M3NTAL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Supra XLR - (2x) Tung-Sol 2C51 up front and (4x) GE 6BL7GTA

Slight bit of noise floor, but at listening level unnoticeable.

I would say this combo give you lots of dynamics with detail to match. The only thing I have heard another amp do better is the sense of air which could be a plus or minus depending on the music you listen to. It is very focused and not too large or too small sounding. I wouldn't mind having a little more "airiness" with some of the electronic music I listen to though.

Hey A.

Mr. Holden, Mr. Pappa and Mr. Fair sound awesome with these...Airy and slammin'...I have a bunch of 6CG7 that I have been using lately to give my 6SN7s a little break...
beerchug.gif

raytheon.jpg

5687x2

sylvania.jpg

6CG7x1

74175800.jpg

beerchug.gif

Dec 30, 2009 at 2:39 AM Post #9 of 29
I have a set of Slyv 2C51's too that "accidentally" came with the SP adapters from Mikhail. I only used them for a short time. I have a set of the RCA 6BL7GTA's too, but I think I like the GE's a little better, but it could all be psycho acoustics at this level

Jan 30, 2010 at 2:19 PM Post #13 of 29
I am "re-opening" this thread because I have disabled the high power switch on my unit and am running at low power only. I have been using 3 input tubes: 7062, 12AT7 and 12AY7. All seem to work fine and I can't -from memory- say that the outputs (6BL7GTAs) sound any different than when I was running them at high power.

I was comparing the 6BL7GTAs to the T-S and KR VT99, all at low power, and I think they compare very favorably in sonic terms. I was surprised, because I had gone to these pre-6SN7GT type output tubes (and shelved the 6BL7GTAs) almost exclusively after the "bad press" about the transformers and diodes in some MPX3 PSs. I guess I will go back to them.

My experience is that the 7062 is the most neutral tube. The 12AT7 (Sylvania WA models with TMBP) and 12AY7 (early RCA with tilted square getter) are darker and the 12AY7 has something else going on with it that makes it more forward, possibly the higher gain.

Anyway, it all sounds good, I am happy to report.

Jan 30, 2010 at 3:46 PM Post #14 of 29
In my REPAIRED/MODDED SP Extreme (which now has the Electra-Print transformer so that it is safe and works well): Chelmer Valve ECC32 and 2x Tung-Sol 6520.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back