What to wear while lawnmowing
May 22, 2002 at 3:43 AM Post #31 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by DeanA

It is pretty darn hard for a 16 hp lawn tractor with an attached 56 inch cutting mower to run very quiet. Of course, if I didn't start the engine and just pushed it, it probably would be as quiet as yours.
wink.gif

LOL
eek.gif
eek.gif

May 22, 2002 at 11:38 AM Post #32 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by DeanA

It is pretty darn hard for a 16 hp lawn tractor with an attached 56 inch cutting mower to run very quiet. Of course, if I didn't start the engine and just pushed it, it probably would be as quiet as yours.
wink.gif

It would be safer, kinder to the environment and think how fit you would get.

May 22, 2002 at 11:45 AM Post #33 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by a1leyez0nm3
whats the diff between wearing earplugs that dont have music and wearing etys??? just music, my lawn mower is bad for my hearing, so i have to wear protection that disables my hearing.. you should be more concerned about what you can see, not hear. you will obviously be able to hear or feel or see if there is something largely amiss...

There is a big difference. The earplugs will attenuate the noise, not completely block it. Also the distraction of music can impair you as the operator.

May 22, 2002 at 3:03 PM Post #34 of 45
You guys are killing me! I appreciate the concern for my well being but I already have two parents, I don't need anymore. I am really surprised that so many of you think this is such a bad idea. I have been mowing my lawn with headphones on for 20 years and never had an incident (knock on wood). I also wish i never stumbled across this sight 'cause i would be at least a 1000.00 richer and I would be happy mowing along listening to my 20.00 ear buds.

My mower is brand new and works like a champ. It does not give off excessive noise just the normal amount any lawnmower would.

I don't want to block all the noise just some. I can appreciate the importance of being aware of your surroundings so you don't mow over the neighbors kids or something.

My purpose for this post was to find a pair of headphones that are not to aggressive in size or price. They should sound good, and isolate a little bit. I will be playing them through an MD player W/O an amp.

Does anything out there fit the bill?

May 22, 2002 at 4:20 PM Post #35 of 45
lol
well anyways

don't get ety's cause the microphone effect will hurt

can't get anything else which will block enough asides from canal phones

can only think of the ex70

which are okay once you do the mods' but aren't something excellent

May 22, 2002 at 4:34 PM Post #36 of 45
alright i asked this same question at another forum and it came down to something like

HD280 Pro + amp not sure which
vs.
Etymotic ER6
vs.
Etymotic ER4P with the 4p to 4s adaptor and maybe an amp

I mow a few acres once a week. Its on a hill. IT TAKES FOREVER. I do much more dangerous and stupid things day in and day out so mowing with music isnt too much of a concern for me. Which of those would be best for my super dangerous mowing missions?

May 22, 2002 at 9:37 PM Post #37 of 45
The CHEAPEST closed sony DJs you can buy. Leave 'm hanging on the mower when you park it. Quality and detail won't matter with that much background noise (you'll still hear the mower, but not nearly as much).

Set the volume before you start the mower. Just don't try raising the volume to compleatly drown out the mower - you'll go deaf.

May 22, 2002 at 9:58 PM Post #38 of 45
Um... Hi.

I gave him that suggestion on those other forums..
smily_headphones1.gif

Why do you all NOT want to help him with canalphones?

I am thinking that either the ER6 or the ER4P would be great for a low power MD player....

No, wait, just the ER6, I think. First, thread the ER6's under your shirt, put them in your ear, set the volume with them on your MD player, put your MD player in your pocket, and leave the volume set to that level, and then mow the lawn like that.... no need to touch the MD or the ER6's through the entire trip, and you have your music at the right volume, and the cord won't get tangled or anything...and it is small enough and easy to drive enough to work with this, and microphonics wont be that bad...

No problems, right??

May 23, 2002 at 3:45 AM Post #39 of 45
I vote ER4P (this is a nougat, right?).

Sufficient isolation for any mower that I have ever run across (although I haven't actually tried them with a bush hog). Wonderful sound. You don't need the adapter if you only use them for mowing.

Uh, microphonics, what microphonics? Much less of a problem than cavity resonance in sealed phones.

Setting the volume prior to launch is a good idea.

I didn't like the pro-plugs. They seem to be designed not to isolate. Even with Ety tips they let plenty of sound through. I would guess 3-6 db of isolation. I did like the mute button.

gerG

May 23, 2002 at 4:38 AM Post #40 of 45
From Gluegun
Quote:

No, wait, just the ER6, I think. First, thread the ER6's under your shirt, put them in your ear, set the volume with them on your MD player, put your MD player in your pocket, and leave the volume set to that level, and then mow the lawn like that.... no need to touch the MD or the ER6's through the entire trip, and you have your music at the right volume, and the cord won't get tangled or anything...and it is small enough and easy to drive enough to work with this, and microphonics wont be that bad...

This is exactly what I do. It works great and I couldn't have said it any better!

May 23, 2002 at 2:06 PM Post #41 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by Gluegun
Um... Hi.

I gave him that suggestion on those other forums..
smily_headphones1.gif

Why do you all NOT want to help him with canalphones?

No problems, right??

I don't have anything against, canal phones - I just don't have any experience with them. I do have experience with closed cans and mowing the lawn. In Jr. High & High School, I used a radio headphone that I won selling candybars or something. I also used hearing protection of one form or another on summer landscaping jobs (ie - mowing all day).

The only thing I would say against the canal phones (and its not really against them) is that I can't see how you would keep from getting them dirty. I used ear plugs, but would use a new pair daily as by the end of the day, they'd look pretty crummy. Those ETs aren't cheap and I'd hate to trash a pair after just a couple uses. With a regular headset, just wipe it down with an alcohol prep and you're in buisness.

May 23, 2002 at 4:25 PM Post #42 of 45
Best thing to wear while lawnmowing? Well, I ususally wear a little pink velvet number...

May 23, 2002 at 10:48 PM Post #43 of 45
If you are listening at a reasonable level the ER-4/ER-6 shouldn't be any worse than wearing nothing.

The microphonics won't be noticeable because they are masked by the mower noise (Only 30dB of isolation). Dirt shouldnt be a problem.

If nothing else wear some kind of earplugs. If you are a firefighter, use the ER-20 which will just reduce the noise level about 20dB, and save your hearing.

Don Wilson
Etymotic Research

Jun 10, 2002 at 4:14 PM Post #44 of 45
WOW! ER6's work very well in for this application. My wife was kind enugh to buy a pair of these for me and I have to say they do the trick.

When I first got the ER6's I listened to them in my living room and was not impressed. The sound was average, I thought my KSC35's were superior and I just wasted 135.00. Then I turned on the lawn mower, these things are the answer. They block out almost all the unwanted sound. I listened to 2112 overture and was able to hear the waterfall in the background at half volume. Really impressed with the isolation.

I still think they are a bit spendy but I enjoy them.

Jun 11, 2002 at 12:36 AM Post #45 of 45
marmul, now aren't you glad you took my advice?
biggrin.gif

once you get used to equalizing the inner ear pressure when you wear the er-6, you may notice a big improvement in sound. most people don't need to push them too far in to get a seal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back