What to wear while lawnmowing
May 18, 2002 at 12:34 AM Post #16 of 45
I use sony buds 10db isolation PLUS ear protection headphone style ., plenty of isolation over 30 -35 db I expect.

one fits over the other
biggrin.gif

May 18, 2002 at 12:43 AM Post #17 of 45
Ety 4 or 6's. Or some other buds with the "earmuff" sound protectors. I use an iPod 4P's and Fixup cable (very, little microphonics).

May 18, 2002 at 7:47 PM Post #18 of 45
I use the Koss "The Plug" for mowing the lawn...at work we have a large lawn and so we have to use a big commercial mower. It's not exactly like mowing a suburban front lawn, I would be terrified to use Etys while mowing, weedeating, etc. out at our place. The Koss are $20, have fairly decent isolation, and a handy little mute button you can squeeze if you think you might have sucked up some sort of small animal in your mower and need to listen to the blades for a second. I use mine with a NEX II mp3 player; it's small and can clip on the inside of my shorts to keep the dust and grass off. My advice: listen to the combination you want to use before you go out to mow. Set it at a safe volume in a quiet room and then don't exceed that. If you need it louder, try to mod the plugs for more isolation. Just a thought...it's not fantastic sound but it beats nothing.

Peace and neatly trimmed lawns, BeeEss

May 18, 2002 at 10:09 PM Post #19 of 45
Machinery operation+isolating headphones=serious injury.I have seen some guesome lawnmower accidents guys(I'm a Firefighter/paramedic).None of them were directly related to headphone use,but lawnmowers are dangerous enough in normal operation.I just would'nt do it and don't recommend it.

May 21, 2002 at 1:39 PM Post #20 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by marmul
Beagle,

You are either intoxicated or you are an idiot. Your message makes no sense.

Neither does listening to headphones while mowing your lawn dorkbrain
rolleyes.gif

May 21, 2002 at 6:58 PM Post #22 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by Tuberoller
Machinery operation+isolating headphones=serious injury.I have seen some guesome lawnmower accidents guys(I'm a Firefighter/paramedic).None of them were directly related to headphone use,but lawnmowers are dangerous enough in normal operation.I just would'nt do it and don't recommend it.

I agree totally.

You need to hear what's going on around you. You need to hear if your lawnmower is making weird noises, and you need to be able to hear if someone is trying to get your attention. Hell, I feel weird just going for a walk with headphones on just because I feel so isolated from my surroundings.

Listen to the music in your mind :0) I find that to be a great mental exercize! Don't jeopardize your health. You can live without the cans for a few hours!!

-jar

May 21, 2002 at 6:59 PM Post #23 of 45
i used to use ex-70s, but now since they broke i sometimes use earbuds underneath earmuff things. kind of uncomfortable, though.... I say go er6, ex-70s dont block quite enough

May 21, 2002 at 6:59 PM Post #24 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by marmul
Beagle,

Stop trolling, if you do not have CONSTRUCTIVE things to say then say nothing at all.

LOL! I'd say that hinting at someone not to wear headphones while mowing their lawn is pretty constructive!

May 21, 2002 at 9:39 PM Post #25 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by Masonjar

You need to hear what's going on around you. You need to hear if your lawnmower is making weird noises, and you need to be able to hear if someone is trying to get your attention

Your lawnmower is a whole lot quieter than mine (actually, I have a lawn tractor). Someone would have to be right next to the mower shouting before they could get my attention. When I'm mowing what I see is a lot more important than what I can hear.

May 21, 2002 at 11:54 PM Post #26 of 45
To me this is a safety concern, as bad as driving with headphones. You should be aware of the surrounding when you operate machinery. If your lawnmower is very noisy, get it checked or wear some earplugs to attenuate the noise. I use a push model. It is very quiet.

May 22, 2002 at 2:03 AM Post #27 of 45
whats the diff between wearing earplugs that dont have music and wearing etys??? just music, my lawn mower is bad for my hearing, so i have to wear protection that disables my hearing.. you should be more concerned about what you can see, not hear. you will obviously be able to hear or feel or see if there is something largely amiss...

May 22, 2002 at 2:18 AM Post #28 of 45
get some etymotic er-6 and do the earhugger mod to them. you'll have a workhorse headphone that will stay in place, block the lawnmower noise, not get dirty and sound awesome.

May 22, 2002 at 2:31 AM Post #29 of 45
I say you should wear earplugs and hum to yourself. Operating a lawnmower while listening to music is not somethinhg I would reccomend, and I mow around 23 acres ever other week....

May 22, 2002 at 3:17 AM Post #30 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by Monica
To me this is a safety concern, as bad as driving with headphones. You should be aware of the surrounding when you operate machinery. If your lawnmower is very noisy, get it checked or wear some earplugs to attenuate the noise. I use a push model. It is very quiet.

It is pretty darn hard for a 16 hp lawn tractor with an attached 56 inch cutting mower to run very quiet. Of course, if I didn't start the engine and just pushed it, it probably would be as quiet as yours.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back