What to wear while lawnmowing
May 17, 2002 at 6:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

marmul

100+ Head-Fier
I need help, I have to stop buying headphones. But that is a story for another day. What I want now is the right headphone for lawn mowing. I have the ksc35 and love them but they let in too much outside sound.

I would prefer the headphones to be somewhat compact and be able to block out the sound of the lawnmower. They will be played directly through an MD player (no amp).

Any ideas?

May 17, 2002 at 7:12 PM Post #3 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by marmul
What I want now is the right headphone for lawn mowing.
I would prefer the headphones to be somewhat compact and be able to block out the sound of the lawnmower

Don't use headphones, they will get dirty. To muffle the sound of the lawnmower, cut a grass catcher, it helps somewhat. Use a closed model so you don't hear the stone go flying through your window.

May 17, 2002 at 7:34 PM Post #4 of 45
I use earplugs with my sportapros when I mow. It cuts the mower noise, But lets you listen to music without blasting your eardrums out.
Good Luck

May 17, 2002 at 7:51 PM Post #6 of 45
imho, don't use em.

1) THey'll get dirty.

2) Hearing damage. . .

Just live through the cutting, run home, take a shower, and listen to music.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 17, 2002 at 7:54 PM Post #7 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by marmul
Beagle,

You are either intoxicated or you are an idiot. Your message makes no sense.

Actually, I thought he was quite clever.
tongue.gif

May 17, 2002 at 8:06 PM Post #8 of 45
Dean,

You must be drinking the same thing Beagle is.

Maybe you guys are missing the point here. What I would like to do is mow while listening to music, not mow fast, shower then listen.

May 17, 2002 at 8:07 PM Post #9 of 45
marmul

I can't help you with the compact issue. But I bought a pair called Workphones. Basically, they are the type you would wear at a shooting range, but with speakers. We are not talking ET4Ps here, but it does keep out the mower noise allowing me to hear the music at a much safer volume level.

May 17, 2002 at 8:39 PM Post #10 of 45
I can't help you with the compact issue. But I bought a pair called Workphones. Basically, they are the type you would wear at a shooting range, but with speakers.

Dean,

Not to be a wiseguy here but it sounds like you are describing headphones here?

What is the difference between Headphones and Workphones?

May 17, 2002 at 10:57 PM Post #12 of 45
I use my ER4ps. Works great - and the noise of the lawnmower almost drowns out the cord microphonics
rolleyes.gif

May 17, 2002 at 11:40 PM Post #14 of 45
The two best solutions, IMO:

1) Ety ER6 (ER4 would be overkill sound-wise, and the microphonics would be murder while mowing).

2) Sennheiser MX500 with industrial ear protection (the circumaural headsets that completely block out noise, like the ones they use at firing ranges and on construction jobs).

May 18, 2002 at 12:02 AM Post #15 of 45
I'm pretty sure Koss has an industrial strength circumaural product that would work, they sell it at HeadRoom to be used in machine shops.

I've also heard that Koss's The Plug works well.

I did some mowing yesterday and I was about to whip out my MDR-v6 and MD player. Since the MD player at max volume with the v6 is softer than my d-25s at minimum volume with the same headphones, I don't think I would hurt myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back