What to get for best bang-for-the-buck: Audiofly AF56 * Audio Technica ATH-CKM500 * Vsonic GR07 MK2
Aug 3, 2012 at 11:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Doggonit

New Head-Fier
I guess I'd define bang-for-the-buck as the most universally pleasant for the price paid. I know "universally" is a tough concept, but I'll defer to those of you with keener ears, more demanding tastes, and far wider experience and closets full of gear. For the record, I really do listen to smatterings of every genre, so I do apply "universal" in a very expansive sense.

So which one is the best bang for the buck?

Audiofly AF56's for $100
Audio Technica ATH-CKM500's for $58
Vsonic GR07 Mk2 for $160

If it matters, I am coming from UE Superfi 5 (v2) and Meelec A161P's. So I suppose that though all of the above will sound better in many ways, which one if any will seem the most improved in terms of general sound?

These are tough questions, I know. What I just want to see what people's thoughts on these three are for the prices listed and the fact that I'd want to listen to anything from classical music to hip hop, EDM, pop, big band, and folk.

EDITED TO ADD: I guess I would also like to throw the Yamaha EPH-100 into the mix. $150 for apparently something quite special.

I know, if I had the money, I would just buy all of them, but I don't, so...

Aug 3, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #2 of 12
I would opt for an Etymotic IEM.

But, lets wait. The VSonic fanbois will be along shortly.

In light of these things. Which IEMs offer the Best Service & Warranty oughta be a consideration too.

Good Luck, and enjoy whatever you purchase.

Jim

Aug 3, 2012 at 12:44 PM Post #3 of 12
See that's the reason I like my Meelecs: Their service and warranty is great. They have replaced my M6's before and go out of their way to be helpful, really. I just deal with one guy at Meelec now, and he's always willing and ready to help above and beyond the warranty.

Logitech was good about replacing the flawed Superfi 5's while the warranty lasted, but considering that I went through 4 in two years, that doesn't speak well of the Logitech owned UE's mid range.

How is Etymotic with warranty & service? And which Ety would you suggest?

Aug 3, 2012 at 12:54 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:
I would opt for an Etymotic IEM.
But, lets wait. The VSonic fanbois will be along shortly.

This if coming from one of the biggest Ety fanboys I've ever seen though
wink.gif

The GR07 does every genre admirably. However, biggest bang for the buck might have to go the CKM500. They're supposed to be great as well, and at a cheaper cost.

Aug 3, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #5 of 12
How is Etymotic with warranty & service? And which Ety would you suggest?

I like, in the 100 dollar range the HF5.

As far as service after the sale... Etymotic crushes it's competition.

Two year warranty, buy back program, and a tried and tested product.

Truly they are the God Fathers of the IEM.

Just my findings in dealing with them.

Jim

Aug 3, 2012 at 1:37 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:
I like, in the 100 dollar range the HF5.
As far as service after the sale... Etymotic crushes it's competition.
Two year warranty, buy back program, and a tried and tested product.
Truly they are the God Fathers of the IEM.
Just my findings in dealing with them.
Jim

I'm sorry to say that Martin Sägmüller hates Etymotic's house "sound" and likens it to having sucked every bit of joy out of music. I trust his opinion, hence I will not buy into Eytmotic.

The list as it stands now:

Audiofly AF56's for $100
Vsonic GR07 Mk2 for $160
Yamaha EPH-100 for $135

Your thoughts, gents (and ladies, if there are any reading this)

Aug 3, 2012 at 1:41 PM Post #7 of 12
 I'm sorry to say that Martin Sägmüller hates Etymotic's house "sound" and likens it to having sucked every bit of joy out of music. I trust his opinion, hence I will not buy into Eytmotic.

Audiofly AF56's for $100
Vsonic GR07 Mk2 for $160
Yamaha EPH-100 for $135

Wow,

I really feel bad for Martin.

Jim

Aug 3, 2012 at 1:45 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Audiofly AF56's for $100
Vsonic GR07 Mk2 for $160
Yamaha EPH-100 for $135

Why don't you send your list to Martin Sägmüller?

Aug 3, 2012 at 3:02 PM Post #9 of 12
Because he hasn't owned these four, but has had a few Etys.

I see that I missed out on being able to buy the Yamaha EPH-100's from J&R for $75 back when they had them in stock. : ( I could still get them for about $125 (80 pounds) in the UK.

Jan 21, 2013 at 6:38 PM Post #10 of 12
I own the AF56's and love them. They are a super-fun set of IEM's, I love the punchy-defined bass and the crisp highs.  They go on sale from time to time on Amazon for ~$35-$50.

Feb 2, 2013 at 1:00 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:
I own the AF56's and love them. They are a super-fun set of IEM's, I love the punchy-defined bass and the crisp highs.  They go on sale from time to time on Amazon for ~$35-$50.

The more I use these, the more I like them - it is funny, but I thought with the 13mm driver, I would be most impressed with the bass - it is certainly there - tight, punchy and defined - but the highs and mids are what makes these easy to listen to - rock and roll is great. I am listening to lossless King Crimson (80's version with Adrian Belew) right now and enjoying it immensely.

Feb 2, 2013 at 3:13 AM Post #12 of 12
Dont forget about the new ATH-CKN50 suppose to be an improvement on the CKM500 and at the same $50-$60. Id also look at the TDK B200 and IE800 for around $140 each. I have only heard good things about each. Oh yah, the ATH-CKN70 is coming soon which after the good reviews the ATH-CKN50, I think will be very good. It will be a microdriver using carbon nanotubes (which has been very successful for jvc). I also think the Vsonic GR02 and GR06 and the Sony MH1C should be in any bang for your buck conversation. JMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back