What to get: Clip+ vs. Fuze vs. Fuze+
Nov 24, 2010 at 4:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

LarsPT

New Head-Fier
Hey guys! Need your help here!

I am looking to upgrade (in SQ) from my iPod classic and I am thinking on getting one of the players mentioned in the title. The ability to use an external amplifier (like E5) would be a nice to have feature, so, if I'm not mistaken, Clip+ and Fuze+ would be out of the equation cause they do not seem to be able to have an LOD plugged in? Is Fuze the way to go?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions/opinions!

Nov 24, 2010 at 5:41 AM Post #2 of 30
I dont know about the others, but it seems fuze has line out. Plus it has a screen for easier management, and it can be rockboxed easily.
I have seen some rigs with either clip+ or fuze in the portable rig pics thread, some with amps. You may check it for ideas

Nov 24, 2010 at 6:45 AM Post #3 of 30
I read on another forum that if you set the Clip+ volume to 0, the headphone out effectively works the same as a line out. This was posted by someone who worked at Sansa. It's not exactly a true line out but the measurement differences are extremely small.

Nov 24, 2010 at 7:19 AM Post #4 of 30

Quote:
I read on another forum that if you set the Clip+ volume to 0, the headphone out effectively works the same as a line out. This was posted by someone who worked at Sansa. It's not exactly a true line out but the measurement differences are extremely small.

That is the volume setting that I use with mine (along with disabling EQ) if I use it as a portable source, running into a stereo or powered computer speakers, and it seems to work well. The rare occasion I do use a headphone amp(I only have one set of 'phones that benefits from amping), the 0 volume with EQ enabled seems to work fine too.

Nov 24, 2010 at 9:03 AM Post #5 of 30

Quote:
I dont know about the others, but it seems fuze has line out. Plus it has a screen for easier management, and it can be rockboxed easily.
I have seen some rigs with either clip+ or fuze in the portable rig pics thread, some with amps. You may check it for ideas

@LarsPT,

Please note that although the Fuze can be Rockboxed (which I highly recommend doing to any Fuze or Clip) only the V1 Fuze can support a Line-Out and Rockbox.  The USB function has been disabled on the V2 Fuze until the Rockbox developers can release a stable version with USB support.

Let me also add that the internal Sansa headphone amps are very good, and are more than capable of most headphones.  You probably don't NEED an external amp unless you plan on running a pair of HD 600s, 650s or Beyer DTs off of it.  Although an amp can enhance your listening experience.

If you need to clip it to something, get the clip.  If you don't, get the Fuze because of the enhanced screen.  You'll love any of them!

Nov 24, 2010 at 7:37 PM Post #6 of 30
Thanks for all the input! I think I might stick with the Clip+ for an ultra portable rig and then sometime in the future get the hifiman 601 for a less portable one :)

Thanks!!

Nov 25, 2010 at 7:54 AM Post #7 of 30
I've had a Clip+ and currently using a Fuze. Both have advantages and disadvantages, but Fuze won me over due to:
- better battery life (10 hrs on Clip vs about 15 hrs on the Fuze)
- better ergonomics. I guess my hands are a bit big? The Clip+ is a bit too small, and ipod or s:flo2 were too unwieldy too hold. The Fuze is the perfect size, not too small and not too big. 
- better screen. I like to be able to read the text clearer, and Fuze's screen is perfect. The Clip+ can be a bit hard to read at times. 
- scroll wheel. Ok not a big issue, but the Fuze is a tad easier to navigate thanks to its wheel. If you have a lot of files, the Clip+ can be frustrating to use. 

The proprietary Fuze cable is annoying, but a small price to pay for the above advantages IMHO. 

Nov 25, 2010 at 8:13 AM Post #9 of 30

Quote:
The LO capabilities is why i prefer the Fuze to the Clip/+.

Read my post above.

Also, if you rockbox your Clip+ you can get anywhere from 14 - 17 hours battery life.

Nov 27, 2010 at 1:26 AM Post #10 of 30
Point 1: you don't need a line out to utilize an amp. In fact, the majority of the time the line out offers no inherent improvement over the headphone out.

Point 2: Avoid the fuze+. Fresh from the box it's "reasonably" fast. But once you load it up with files, sluggish doesn't begin to describe it. Avoid at all costs.

Jan 14, 2011 at 6:59 PM Post #11 of 30
Hi guys!

This is my first time posting here on head-fi so sorry for any stupid questions that might come up :p

Anyways, I've been reading through alot here (when I say alot, I mean ALOT.) rougly all the 64 pages where people ramble on about the monster turbines etc.

Now to the point. I'm going to buy myself a clip+ tomorrow, and I've been reading alot of comments where people mention the clip+ getting new features, better battery life and better SQ by rockboxing it. Does it really work? Also, what's the risk's? I've seen few people mentioning it can be permanently damaged by rockboxing it, although that might've been a long time ago.

I do appreciate any answers you can give me regarding the sansa clip+ being rockboxed!

Final note, my main language is NOT english so I do apologize if you find some parts hard to understand! :)

Jan 17, 2011 at 3:08 AM Post #13 of 30
How does the fuze+ sound comparing to the clip+..is it the same sound?       is the line out a true line out?  this is important to me
and final question..do i have to use some sort of dock to get the line out signal or is there a connection hole on the player itself? 
thanks!

Jan 17, 2011 at 8:22 AM Post #14 of 30
Quote:
How does the fuze+ sound comparing to the clip+..is it the same sound?       is the line out a true line out?  this is important to me
and final question..do i have to use some sort of dock to get the line out signal or is there a connection hole on the player itself? 
thanks!

Only Fuze has a line-out. Clip+ and Fuze+ don't support line-out. Alsu Clip+ and Fuze+ have very different hardware (while Fuze/clip/clip+ share similar hardware), so they probably not going to have the same sound.

Jan 17, 2011 at 4:53 PM Post #15 of 30

Quote:
Quote:
thanks!

Only Fuze has a line-out. Clip+ and Fuze+ don't support line-out. Alsu Clip+ and Fuze+ have very different hardware (while Fuze/clip/clip+ share similar hardware), so they probably not going to have the same sound.

oh..i see.  thanks for the response,in fact i thought that sandisk would prefer to keep the same hardware in order to keep the great sound they have with the clip+ and fuze.  I am surprised from this

Users who are viewing this thread

Back