What to excpect once Senns HD-650 Break in ?
Jun 12, 2005 at 4:29 PM Post #16 of 53
Earlier on, the hd650 sounded really congested to me. But after lots and lots of burn in time, they sound better. But is it burn in or just me getting used to the sound? I couldn't really tell you. Either way, now I like them.

Jun 12, 2005 at 4:29 PM Post #17 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
LOL, but seriously, I can't figure out the meaning of this "back in the hall" thing entirely. I listen to acoustic music almost exclusively, which is supposed to sound intimist and close, and, actually, so it does... So
plainface.gif

Yup, the Senns are excellent on acoustic music although you won't quite get the zing you should. Those microphones for most acoustic music are within feet of the instrument and you should hear artifacts of being that close.

Jun 12, 2005 at 4:33 PM Post #18 of 53
let's use the comparative term "darker" instead, as suggested above - they'll stay darker than the dt880 for example... even after 400 hours... no need to argue against that.
if your source and/or amp has a darker presentation itself (like my h/k amp for example), any differences will be harder to notice at all.

Jun 12, 2005 at 4:33 PM Post #19 of 53
One of the areas I feel is lacking is detail

In Linkin Park's mash up, you can clearly here the impromtu interaction between the group and Jay-Zz through the ETY's 4. This adds to the feeling of being in the studio when this recording was made.

With the Senns while the bass is deeper, the inner detail seems lacking at this point (75 hours of break in).

Also on The rolling stones "Goatheads soup" I can clearly here Jagger wispering the lyrics through the entire track of Angie w/ the ETY's. On the HD650 it is there but, not as prevelant.

I expierenced the same transition when I went from ML's Electrostat speakers to my current Hales T-8

Jun 12, 2005 at 4:50 PM Post #20 of 53
I think there are two things going on with that. First the Etys are detail monsters that sit very close to the ear. Second consider the frequencies that are being reproduced (and not reproduced). The maximum legibiligty for voices happens when you are only amplifying frequencies that voices appear at. Without extra high and low frequencies conflicting with the voice band you can hear that band better. The 650's have more bass and that means that your ear/brain has to sort out more frequencies to discern the voices.

Jun 12, 2005 at 5:07 PM Post #21 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by elliot
Earlier on, the hd650 sounded really congested to me. But after lots and lots of burn in time, they sound better. But is it burn in or just me getting used to the sound? I couldn't really tell you. Either way, now I like them.

try to get some music store for you to demo a new pair, u will know if it is whether your ears got used to the sound or whether the phone has really changed.

Jun 12, 2005 at 5:11 PM Post #22 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by John2e
One of the areas I feel is lacking is detail

In Linkin Park's mash up, you can clearly here the impromtu interaction between the group and Jay-Zz through the ETY's 4. This adds to the feeling of being in the studio when this recording was made.

With the Senns while the bass is deeper, the inner detail seems lacking at this point (75 hours of break in).

Also on The rolling stones "Goatheads soup" I can clearly here Jagger wispering the lyrics through the intire track of Angie w/ the ETY's. On the HD650 it is there but, not has prevelant.

I expierenced the same transition when I went from ML's Electrostat speakers to my current Hales T-8

honestly, u need more burn in. that's one of the common issues with lack of burn in, when i was listening to hotel california with a brand new 650, lots of details are not there, rather...they are shrouded by something, after some hardcore burn in, they became alot more apparent.

Jun 12, 2005 at 5:26 PM Post #23 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by gpalmer
I would think both need to be broken in.

I remember hearing the 650s out of a Supra and a stealth and I was impressed with neither. Surprisingly I found the 580s much more enjoyable powered out of a modded Cary pre-amp. Nonetheless, I found them to be lacking compared to the grado PS/RS-1 and the R10. After hearing a tube driven R10, I was really of the opinion that the 650 needed to be broken period.

Jun 12, 2005 at 6:59 PM Post #24 of 53
I always saw the er-4 treble as tipped up . . with hyper detail and a kind of sparkle . . . it always bothered me, cause it didn't seem right . . . this is just my ears talking . . .

Jun 12, 2005 at 7:30 PM Post #25 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by gpalmer
Yup, the Senns are excellent on acoustic music although you won't quite get the zing you should. Those microphones for most acoustic music are within feet of the instrument and you should hear artifacts of being that close.

Mmmm, I hear not only as many "artifacts" (speaking of 'texture') as I've ever heard with my speakers (AE1 mkII being the most upmarket), but definitely more, oh really, and a great deal of subtleties on vocals, so well, it's all there for me......... Hyperdetail anyone?
wink.gif

But I almost forgot before,
tongue.gif
I listen to rock either (the likes of Lou Reed, Nick Cave, Mark Lanegan, John Mellencamp, Steve Earle .. ) and I find my HD650 excellent at that too.

Jun 12, 2005 at 7:31 PM Post #26 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by kartik
After hearing a tube driven R10, I was really of the opinion that the 650 needed to be broken period.

Heh, I could understand that, the R-10 being driven by tubes is one incredible combination...

Jun 18, 2005 at 11:44 PM Post #27 of 53
Thanks for the help

These sound great after 150 hours of break in with XLO break in track.

Mids are much more prevalant and bass is tighter and less bloated.

Ordered a silver Dragon today. Hopefully these will get even better but I am happy with the end result so far.
600smile.gif

Regards,

Jun 19, 2005 at 12:03 AM Post #28 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by John2e
These sound great after 150 hours of break in with XLO break in track.

still got a while to go
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 19, 2005 at 12:52 AM Post #29 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by kin0kin
honestly, u need more burn in. that's one of the common issues with lack of burn in, when i was listening to hotel california with a brand new 650, lots of details are not there, rather...they are shrouded by something, after some hardcore burn in, they became alot more apparent.

It becomes more apparent when you realize that you're past the deadline date where you could have returned them and you're now stuck with them. So you like them better at that point because you have to like them, you now own them.

That's all burn-in is, getting used to owning something and getting confortable with them. People who say you need another 500 hours, well they're insane.

Don't believe me? How about this....I have a pair of 580's that have been used for about 5 years. I had to replace a driver element last fall and when I put the new one in and listened, both channels were identical. One five year old driver with lots of mileage and one brand new one. Identical. If burn-in is real, shouldn't the two drivers have sounded different? Of course. I have used the "new" driver for 6 months and they still sound identical.

So "burn-in" is all in people's minds. If you expect them to sound better after 500 hours listening, they will sound better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back