What to excpect once Senns HD-650 Break in ?
Jun 19, 2005 at 12:07 PM Post #46 of 53
i somehow prefer hd595 to hd650 in terms of its presentation. Btw i believe in burning in , especially for e888 phones

Jun 19, 2005 at 12:46 PM Post #47 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
Sorry -- wrong.
redface.gif

Sorry -- right
tongue.gif

Perhaps you might want to read it again? Or at least explain why your drivers burn-in and others don't?

Jun 19, 2005 at 2:03 PM Post #48 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beagle
Perhaps you might want to read it again? Or at least explain why your drivers burn-in and others don't?

I think it's easily explained that you didn't hear a difference from the new driver of your 580 -- I guess you were so well accustomed to the sound of the headphone at that time, that the lesser/varying performance from one driver was compensated by that process of "filling from addiction" that occurs in our brain without us realizing it ... in addition, the other driver's sound being mentally 'mixed' with the new driver's must have made things quite a bit harder to pin out than otherwise.

Jun 19, 2005 at 2:05 PM Post #49 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by John2e
Thanks for the help

These sound great after 150 hours of break in with XLO break in track.

Mids are much more prevalant and bass is tighter and less bloated.

Ordered a silver Dragon today. Hopefully these will get even better but I am happy with the end result so far.
600smile.gif

Regards,

You will love the new cable. An aftermarket cable really does open up the sound and add detail. Just keep in mind unfortunately, you are going to have to burn in your cable for a 100+ hours as well.

Be patient, and I think you will love the sound. As for all the other headphones being thrown at you, they are all excellent headphones. But from a practical standpoint, unless you own them and/or have easy access to them, you will not know what your missing. So, don't worry about other cans for now or get confused by all the opinions. There are a lot of people who think that the HD650, especially with an aftermarket cable, is the way to go. And of course, depending on the thread you are reading, there will be those who don't. Everybody has their own preference and opinion.

Give yourself a month or so to burn in both cable and headphone and see if you enjoy the sound. If you think they aren't giving you what you need, sell them and check out one of the other popular headphones that people are recommending.

cheers,
dshea

Jun 19, 2005 at 3:40 PM Post #50 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by amartignano
My idea on this argument: I think that with every new sound equipiment one have to "adapt" his "brain EQ". If you buy a new headphones (in the same league of yours) probably you will find that they sound worse than the previous one. Then, continue listening, and you will get better sound, because your brain has "learned" the new sound.

I think that burn-in is fifty-fifty "real mechanical burn-in" and "brain EQ". I've never heard an headphone changing dramatically from out of the box and 100 hours burn-in (and sometimes I've hoped it very much - with the HD590 ).

Andrea

I agree. The same is true when switching between headphones. For example, when I owned the 650s there would be times when i would llisten to the CD3000s for a while and then switch back to the 650s. They sounded extremely muffled. However, after listening to the 650s for a while, that muffled sound receded quite a bit. After listening to the much colder, albeit lush, CD3000, my brain was used to that sound such that the extreme shift to the very warm 650 made it should very muffled. Sometimes, it's all about the brain.

Jun 19, 2005 at 3:42 PM Post #51 of 53
Quote:

I think it's easily explained that you didn't hear a difference from the new driver of your 580 -- I guess you were so well accustomed to the sound of the headphone at that time, that the lesser/varying performance from one driver was compensated by that process of "filling from addiction" that occurs in our brain without us realizing it ... in addition, the other driver's sound being mentally 'mixed' with the new driver's must have made things quite a bit harder to pin out than otherwise.

So you are willing to concede that someone's brain can "fill" to make a new driver sound the same as an old driver, when you're not willing to concede that part of the burn-in process is mental? Or did I misunderstand you?

Jun 19, 2005 at 5:11 PM Post #52 of 53
Quote:

Uh...no.

If break-in changes the sound of a driver or changes it physically, there should have been a slight difference between the drivers when I first listened. My brain would have only compensated/adjusted after a bit of listening time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by acs236
I agree. The same is true when switching between headphones. For example, when I owned the 650s there would be times when i would llisten to the CD3000s for a while and then switch back to the 650s. They sounded extremely muffled. However, after listening to the 650s for a while, that muffled sound receded quite a bit. After listening to the much colder, albeit lush, CD3000, my brain was used to that sound such that the extreme shift to the very warm 650 made it should very muffled. Sometimes, it's all about the brain.

Precisely. I have to re-adapt to each headphone after having grown accustomed to another.

Jun 21, 2005 at 12:13 AM Post #53 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by acs236
So you are willing to concede that someone's brain can "fill" to make a new driver sound the same as an old driver, when you're not willing to concede that part of the burn-in process is mental? Or did I misunderstand you?

I guess we are not going to find out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back