What to do about a business that scraped my car.
May 1, 2008 at 9:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

cash68

1000+ Head-Fier
I had my car in storage from last august til today. I got it back today, and drove it home. Then I noticed a series of scrapes behind my rear wheel on my bumper.

Now... normally I would complain, but this storage facility is run by lowlifes. How should I get revenge? I know they won't pay up, so what should I do back to them? I'd say the damage would cost about $300-500 from a bodyshop to fix it.

May 1, 2008 at 9:25 PM Post #2 of 28
1. Take pictures and keep any receipts as evidence. It will be your word against theirs.
2. Call them and see what they say.
3. File a complaint with the better business bureau (if you're in the US).
4. Get a few repair quotes from various bodyshops. Choose the middle priced quote.
5. File a claim in small claims court.

May 1, 2008 at 9:26 PM Post #3 of 28
I'd say get over it. It's a car. That happens to vehicles with time.

The time, energy, and money you will spend trying to pursue this will all be a waste.

May 1, 2008 at 9:43 PM Post #4 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The time, energy, and money you will spend trying to pursue this will all be a waste.

Yeah because nobody had the right to have a vehicle in great, flawless condition they bought it in. Geez dude!

May 1, 2008 at 10:04 PM Post #6 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Austin 3:16 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah because nobody had the right to have a vehicle in great, flawless condition they bought it in. Geez dude!

It's a car. It's not a museum piece. Geez dude!

May 1, 2008 at 10:05 PM Post #7 of 28
Quote:

nice outlook
Some may look at it like the OP paid to store said possession in this business' garage. Whether a vintage tuba, vehicle, or GI Joe collection, the ownership and responsibility should be to the business I expect.
Quote:

Maybe you should attend a Barrett Jackson auto show some time :0)
Some take pride in ownership no matter the item of value, nice response to the OP. In reading the thread, the OP seems to care for his/hers and as such paid to store it. Maybe not everyone is as subtle as you are with your view points perhaps and cares more for their car?
wink.gif

I understand the loss of energy and time, and agree to an extent. But I also maintain a near mint vintage vehicle myself and would be upset too if damaged under the paid supervision of such a facility so..yeah.

May 1, 2008 at 10:21 PM Post #8 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audiofiler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nice outlook
Some may look at it like the OP paid to store said possession in this business' garage. Whether a vintage tuba, vehicle, or GI Joe collection, the ownership and responsibility should be to the business I expect.

I agree with you that they are responsible for the damage they caused. I'm just saying the likelihood that he will reimbursed for any of it is pretty much nil. And the time he spends trying to pursue it, should he choose to do so, will be better spent elsewhere.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Audiofiler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe you should attend a Barrett Jackson auto show some time :0)
Some take pride in ownership no matter the item of value, nice response to the OP. OK if you treat yours like garbage but the OP seems to care for his/hers and as such paid to store it. Have a clue, not everyone is as subtle as you are with your view points perhaps?
wink.gif

I understand the loss of energy and time, and agree to an extent. But I also maintain a near mint vintage vehicle myself and would be upset too if damaged under the paid supervision of such a facility so..yeah.

I know exactly where you're coming from. I watch it every year and am an avid car enthusiast. What I don't see at the auction is your basic Toyota Camry, Honda Accord, or F150.

If you have a car you care about then keep it in the garage, plain and simple. A car suffers far more damage from rock chips on the freeway, from day to day, then it ever would from a neighborhood feline.

May 1, 2008 at 10:33 PM Post #9 of 28
When I took our A8L up to NY to see the international car show last month (or maybe two months ago I don't remember), I had to have it parked in one of those high rise parking centers.

Well, when I got it back and drove off, I couldn't figure out why the parking sensor kept going off (I had to manually turn it off). When I got home I noticed that the entire bumper area around the parking sensor was smashed in. The lowlife had to have NAILED something (probably one of the poles) and caused about 2k worth of damage to it. He never even mentioned anything about it.

I say take pictures and try to get them to pay first. If they claim they are not responsible, look at the small print. I would even threaten legal action if I had to. It's not right for someone to damage your car like that.

May 1, 2008 at 11:01 PM Post #11 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by cash68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How should I get revenge?

That's what I'm talking about!

[size=xx-small]btw: no advice from me that I can say on these boards- nor would they be legal.[/size]

May 1, 2008 at 11:22 PM Post #12 of 28
Was the car insured when you stored it? If so, contact your agent and file a claim.

The storage yard probably has insurance, is bonded or is possibly state regulated. Find out and file claims and complaints.

Take photos, get a few estimates then sue them in small claims. If they have an insurer or bond company, include them on the complaint and sue them, too. If you can't find out who insures/bonds them, you should be able to subpoena that information after filing suit. The details of that depend on your state.

Forget the Better Business Bureau. They don't do crap and are a waste of time. Just sue them and their insurer/bond company. Often enough, they'll cough up a few hundred because that's cheaper than litigation.

May 2, 2008 at 12:28 AM Post #14 of 28
Quote:

Quote:

I would agree with you if it was a boring appliance like a Toyota Camry or something. But it's not. It's a rare quasi exotic car that was handbuilt in low volumes.

So. I have to do something, and I don't have the money for small claims court. I was thinking more like something evil and mischievous I could do to get even with them. There's no way I'm getting my money back, so I'd rather just make their lives a little bit miserable for screwing up my car.

May 2, 2008 at 1:08 AM Post #15 of 28
Since you want revenge instead of justice, simply make a small flyer that says "This company damages your property" and post a picture of your damage underneath. Put a couple around the area whenever you pass by the place.

DON'T DO ANYTHING THAT IS ILLEGAL!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back