What to do about a business that scraped my car.
May 2, 2008 at 1:54 AM Post #16 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by cash68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So. I have to do something, and I don't have the money for small claims court.

The small claims court filing fees in Wisconsin are $85 and you usually represent yourself. Really not that much money and it won't cost you anything if you recoup your damages and court costs.

May 2, 2008 at 2:57 AM Post #17 of 28
That takes time. If I was unemployed I'd probably do it. It pisses me off more than anything, and another reason I feel court isn't the answer is because I'm getting the entire car 'blessed' and repainted in a few months, so it's not THAT big of a deal, but I'm still ticked about it.

May 2, 2008 at 3:10 AM Post #18 of 28
Quote:

I would agree with you if it was a boring appliance like a Toyota Camry or something. But it's not. It's a rare quasi exotic car that was handbuilt in low volumes.

You'll have to excuse me, but I have an extremely difficult time believing that.

A supposedly handbuilt "quasi exotic" car and you keep at a, in your words,

Quote:

but this storage facility is run by lowlifes.

Yeah right. <insert Iceman coughing bull$hit here>

May 2, 2008 at 3:20 AM Post #19 of 28
Unfortunately, since you found the scratches only after you drove it away, you're probably going to be out of luck on this one. If they were a reputable storage facility, they might do right by getting the scratches fixed, as negative publicity is not good, but if it's a place run by a bunch of "low lifes" like you said, I'd say you're hosed.

Trying to get back at them for something that probably wasn't done, obviously, on purpose is not a good idea. You ought to mark this up under the "live and learn" banner.

May 2, 2008 at 3:33 AM Post #20 of 28
well, a subaru svx is a fairly uncommon car, only 25,000 were made world wide between 92-97

as for revenge, don't do anything stupid, post on your local car forums about the incident, the negative feedback will hurt them more then anything

as for proving it to them, never hurts to try, just be reasonable about it, if you have any recent photos of that portion of the car, try to prove it was undamaged as recently as possible, beyond that, its your word on theirs.

May 2, 2008 at 4:17 AM Post #21 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by nysulli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well, a subaru svx is a fairly uncommon car, only 25,000 were made world wide between 92-97

I don't understand. What's your point?
confused.gif

A Subaru can hardly be described as exotic, or even quasi exotic, and they certainly aren't handbuilt.

May 2, 2008 at 5:58 AM Post #22 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't understand. What's your point?
confused.gif

A Subaru can hardly be described as exotic, or even quasi exotic, and they certainly aren't handbuilt.

rolleyes.gif

You don't know what you are talking about (as per usual, when it comes to automobiles).

They imported about 15,000 into the states over a 5 years period. They make more honda accords in ONE MONTH than they made SVXs, worldwide. This makes it a rare car. Is it Barrett Jackson rare? No. Not yet. I'd say there's less than half that remaining on the roads today. So many have been wrecked, parted out, and destroyed, that they are getting harder to find by the day.

The design was penned by Giorgetto Giugiaro of Italdesign. It had all wheel drive, split windows, a glass to glass canopy, and a hand assembled 3.3 liter boxer six with forged internals. This makes it rather exotic, compared to even a lot of today's cars.

As for the hand assembled stuff.... um. Yes. A lot of the car was assembled by hand due to the low production numbers, it just wasn't feasible to do it by automation.

May 2, 2008 at 6:11 AM Post #23 of 28
Quote:

I would agree with you if it was a boring appliance like a Toyota Camry or something...

fark you buddy... I like my Camry

4.jpg

1.jpg

3.jpg

spoil2.jpg

May 2, 2008 at 6:54 AM Post #24 of 28
Quote:

rolleyes.gif

You don't know what you are talking about (as per usual, when it comes to automobiles).

They imported about 15,000 into the states over a 5 years period. They make more honda accords in ONE MONTH than they made SVXs, worldwide. This makes it a rare car. Is it Barrett Jackson rare? No. Not yet. I'd say there's less than half that remaining on the roads today. So many have been wrecked, parted out, and destroyed, that they are getting harder to find by the day.

The design was penned by Giorgetto Giugiaro of Italdesign. It had all wheel drive, split windows, a glass to glass canopy, and a hand assembled 3.3 liter boxer six with forged internals. This makes it rather exotic, compared to even a lot of today's cars.

As for the hand assembled stuff.... um. Yes. A lot of the car was assembled by hand due to the low production numbers, it just wasn't feasible to do it by automation.

Don't know what I'm talking about when it comes to cars? I'll school you at a later date on that. For now, let's clear something up.

Hand assembled is so far from hand built it's laughable. To imply that the SVX was hand built is just plain silly. You can't even call the Acura NSX hand built, and it's far closer to that description than the SVX.

Second, you using the word exotic in the same sentence as the SVX is...well...utterly hilarious. I'll give you rare, however exotic it is not. If you know anything about cars, like you claim, then you know exactly what designates a car exotic.

Third, they will never sell one of these at Barrett Jackson. That's reserved for classics that actually go up in value over time. Something the SVX won't be doing.

May 2, 2008 at 8:15 AM Post #25 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't know what I'm talking about when it comes to cars? I'll school you at a later date on that. For now, let's clear something up.

Bring it.

Quote:

Hand assembled is so far from hand built it's laughable. To imply that the SVX was hand built is just plain silly. You can't even call the Acura NSX hand built, and it's far closer to that description than the SVX.

Uh, okay. Sorry for the confusion in terminology. I did not mean to infer that it's body panels were pounded out by hand, if that's what you thought I meant. I meant it wasn't built in large numbers, and a lot of the assembly was done by hand.

Quote:

Second, you using the word exotic in the same sentence as the SVX is...well...utterly hilarious. I'll give you rare, however exotic it is not. If you know anything about cars, like you claim, then you know exactly what designates a car exotic.

Um... no, it's not hilarious. It is a relatively exotic car, compared to 95% of the stuff on the road. Is it as 'exotic' as a ferrari or lambo? No. But it was designed by a famous italian designer, and has a lot of technology stuffed into it. Do you consider a DeLorean exotic? I do. Maybe your definition of exotic is different than mine, but I'm not a car snob, I'm an enthusiast.

The popular dictionary definition of exotic:- 1: From another part of the world 2: Intriguingly unusual or different, excitingly strange 3: Of or involving striptease The Oxford dictionary:-

adjective 1 introduced from abroad. 2 strange, unusual. noun exotic plant etc. exotically adverb.

adjective 1alien, far-away, foreign, remote. 2bizarre, different, extraordinary, foreign-looking, novel, odd, outlandish, peculiar, rare, singular, strange, striking, unfamiliar, unusual, colloquial weird.

Considering the car is unusual, different, strange, eciting, bizarre, extraordingary, striking, weird, it is by definition exotic.

By searching for 'exotic car definition', I came across the following:

1-A top speed that exceeds 140 MPH
2-Paint color is predominantly black, white, yellow, red or silver
3-Has over 210 Bhp in the power department
4-Has a straight 6 or 8, boxer 4, 8 or 12, V8, V10 or V12 engine
5-Worth more than it's original asking price (taking inflation into account)
6-Has twin turbos
7-The model in general has won internationally recognized races
8-Wears tires more than 7" wide
9-Acceleration to 60 Mph in less than 7.5 seconds
10-Is by definition a supercar i.e. Mclaren F1
11-Is by definition an expensive car when bought from new
12-The particular model in general has been raced by an official race car team.
13-Was made in a limited production run of 3000 or less.
14-Is very rare in its own right regardless of numbers originally produced
15-Has been professionally, substantially modified in the performance department compared to more ordinary models of the same make.
16-Is or was originally a manufacturers prototype or concept car
17-Is widely recognized as a dream car or a highly desirable classic
18-Has been built using some or many light weight materials
19-Is a Porsche, Lamborghini, or Ferrari
20-Is considered to be an automotive icon of its year
21-Has an air of mystery, a certain "Je ne sais quoi" that your run of the mill weekly shopping carrier will never have.
22-Is very expensive to run and maintain
23-Was intended to have only two occupants or is a 2+2 coupe.

If your car scores 11 or more congratulations! It's probably an exotic car.

1. It can do about 155mph.
2. Yep.
3. A silky smooth 230.
4. Boxer 6. Enough said.
8. All 4 are over 8.75" wide.
9. Yep. Around there.
11. $40,000 in 1991 was pretty pricey.
14. Yep. It's rare. Even you agree on that.
16. Yep.
43257.jpg

21. Definitely.
22. It's reliable...but it does eat wheel bearings. If the transmission ever dies, that's at least 3 grand. So.... even though mine's been reliable, if something does go wrong it costs a lot. The glass especially.
23. 2+2 Coupe.

That's a total of 12.

Quote:

Third, they will never sell one of these at Barrett Jackson. That's reserved for classics that actually go up in value over time. Something the SVX won't be doing.

Really? Motortrend disagrees with you:

1992-1997 Subaru SVX - Future Classic - Motor Trend Classic

Barrett Jackson sells weird, unique cars. As time passes, more will be destroyed, and they'll be even more unique and strange. Cars that are today viewed as classics and take big money were at one point considered pieces of crap, such as the 59 Caddillac with it's outrageous fins, etc. I promise you if BJ is still around in the future, they'll sell an SVX at some point. Not yet...but someday.

May 2, 2008 at 12:30 PM Post #27 of 28
cash, i hate to burst your bubble, but by 97 a loaded svx went for 37,000, in 91, 28,000 bought you a loaded svx, so 40g is way off on the price tag, was it expensive for a subaru, yes, was it expensive in general, not really

is it expensive to maintain, again, not at all, by expensive they mean a car that has extensive regular interval maintenance, as well as expensive parts

to put things in perspective, i've owned both a 91 toyota mr2 as well as an 89 supra turbo, both cost as much or more then the svx (the mr2 i believe was 30-32 in 91, the supra 28-30 in 89), and both we're more expensive to maintain then the svx, I know only because i know 2 people with svx's, and remember how much parts cost for both the mr2 and supra, and that price didn't restrict the sales market that much, toyota was making 25,000 supras a year at that cost

and 3g for a transmission? thats really not all that uncommon, again, my supra, the parts alone were 3g, a wrx tranny can be found in good shape for 900 bucks all day long

actually a lot of those "standards" are pretty loose, i don't think i've ever owned a car with narrower tires then 7", my current lowly 2.5rs included, hell your honda accord might meet that requirement.

so really, you only realistically meet 10 of those points, not 12, and some of them you just squeak past, 230 hp, 155 mph is ehh, and 0-60 in 7.3 is again ehh, my mr2 did it in 5.9, and the supra was around 6.5, nether i would consider exotic. while that 0-60 and top speed were decent in its time for a typical road driven car, again, they weren't overly impressive, a good number of cars were fasters, including cars in its price range

and since when does a generic paint color make a car exotic?

so really, like subtle said, the svx while rare, isn't exotic (and i'm not saying that because i don't like the car, i've always liked the split glass windows especially)

May 2, 2008 at 1:13 PM Post #28 of 28
I don't think it's fair to accept someone destroying/damaging your property regardless of rarity, value, etc. So I think that the "get over it" attitude isn't appropriate. The individuals that tell you to "get over it" are the same that slam their cars doors into you in parking lots and don't think twice about it.

When I was young, around 8 or 9, I was playing baseball with a nerf-type ball and I accidently hit it into a car. It wasn't a nice car and absolutely no damage was done since the ball was really soft. The driver checked out the car after it was hit and was upset that it happened, even though it didn't hurt the car in any way.
When discussing the incident with my parents, I explained that it was ok because the car wasn't that nice and it already had some damage anyway.
After saying that, my parents gave me a speech about respecting property that I never forgot. So, yeah I don't accept the idea that I should expect others to bust up my stuff because I'd certainly never do that to others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back