What tips with IE8?
Feb 12, 2009 at 6:35 PM Post #61 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mors /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Average Joe, what do you think sounds better overall out of your mods - The Silicone+T400 or the Silcone+Olive?

I've got some spares of both at home so might have a crack tonight
wink.gif

My left ear canal opening is bigger, so with the complys, it doesn't seal as well. And the olive hurts my right ear after some time. So I am settling on the olive for my left ear, and the comply for my right ear (for now). I guess I will easily be able to tell right (grey) from left (black)!

I got some other toys I have to play with, so not sure if/when I will try the double flange mod.

Feb 12, 2009 at 8:15 PM Post #62 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just bought 5 pairs of those a couple of days ago, and have yet to fit them on!! I tried prying the inner core open with a pair of tweezers (but I needed 3 hands), and then after spending over 30 minutes trying to 'persuade' it on by force, and failing, I gave up and slung them in with my other 'miscellaneous' tips!

Did you get them on easily? How did you stop the inner core from folding over all the time?

Sooz... the small tips were very tough to get on but I managed after a few tries. The medium and the dualflange I had very little trouble..just squeezed the tip at the top and twisted the ie8 a little on the opening and boom...no problem. Maybe I got a rare set with bigger openings?!

Feb 12, 2009 at 8:49 PM Post #63 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My left ear canal opening is bigger, so with the complys, it doesn't seal as well. And the olive hurts my right ear after some time. So I am settling on the olive for my left ear, and the comply for my right ear (for now). I guess I will easily be able to tell right (grey) from left (black)!

I got some other toys I have to play with, so not sure if/when I will try the double flange mod.

I thought to put two different tips too but the problem is that the sound is not exactly the same between foam and olive and I don't like have different sound from the two ears!

Feb 12, 2009 at 9:26 PM Post #64 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mors /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Average Joe, what do you think sounds better overall out of your mods - The Silicone+T400 or the Silcone+Olive?

I've got some spares of both at home so might have a crack tonight
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luca T /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought to put two different tips too but the problem is that the sound is not exactly the same between foam and olive and I don't like have different sound from the two ears!

I am using my modded silicon tips, which give me better treble, yet bad isolation. So I mounded a cored foam (1 Comply, 1 Shure) under the silicon, and all the foam does is give me better isolation.

When I used 2 olives, my right ear hurt, when I used 2 T-400s, my left ear didn't have as good a seal, and was quieter!

Feb 13, 2009 at 2:39 PM Post #65 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueSwift /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Using the Senn "olives", the sound isolation ain't that good. But cuz of that, its more airy and clearer but of course, the bass is pretty "weak" (when i say weak, its juz my preference. Note that the bass using these tips are still stronger than the W3 :p ).

For me the W3 thrumps the ie8(100 hours burned-in) in bass in terms of accuracy, speed and impact and whatever layers there are..the bass of ie8 sounds more natural in comparison. Been A/B-ing the 2 for the past hour or so while trying all the tips of ie8 ..Bass of the ie8 seems so lifeless in comparison..(Tried most of Girl Talk tracks...the track which shows the most obvious difference between the 2 in terms of bass would be "Marantz Hi-End Audiophile Test" - Marantz 15 - Bernard Beeftink , Improvisation ) .

Feb 13, 2009 at 3:16 PM Post #66 of 116
We all can ask ACS to make Custom sleeves for IE8 and IE7 ?

if we all owners of IE series on head-fi can come together..they mite easily make it for us.

shud we start a thread on it?

Feb 13, 2009 at 3:24 PM Post #67 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by bossnass15 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For me the W3 thrumps the ie8(100 hours burned-in) in bass in terms of accuracy, speed and impact and whatever layers there are..the bass of ie8 sounds more natural in comparison. Been A/B-ing the 2 for the past hour or so while trying all the tips of ie8 ..Bass of the ie8 seems so lifeless in comparison..(Tried most of Girl Talk tracks...the track which shows the most obvious difference between the 2 in terms of bass would be "Marantz Hi-End Audiophile Test" - Marantz 15 - Bernard Beeftink , Improvisation ) .

Haha, well... We have different opinions. So say the W3 has more bass while other is vice-versa. And i believe most of the people here say the IE8 has more bass than the W3. Well, from some of the reviews from cn11 and davidmahler, they said the bass is pretty overpowering. Not only that, even david mahler prefers the W3s, but he says that the bass from the IE8 is more.

Unless, you do not have a good seal. :p

Feb 13, 2009 at 3:40 PM Post #68 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueSwift /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haha, well... We have different opinions. So say the W3 has more bass while other is vice-versa. And i believe most of the people here say the IE8 has more bass than the W3. Well, from some of the reviews from cn11 and davidmahler, they said the bass is pretty overpowering. Not only that, even david mahler prefers the W3s, but he says that the bass from the IE8 is more.

Unless, you do not have a good seal. :p

Believe me during that 1 hour of testing, I've been fiddling it in all sorts of positions
tongue_smile.gif

Sorry, but I just don't see how the bass of ie8 can compare with the w3s..more so with my testing tracks..one is hard-hitting, with speed, accurate and punchy while the other just muddy and boomy in comparison...I've to respectfully disagree with david and cn11 after 1 hour of a/b-ing both just on bass quality alone..

And my brain is pretty much burned-in to their sound sigs by now..will let you know after the 150 hour mark if there are any changes..

Feb 13, 2009 at 4:41 PM Post #69 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by bossnass15 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Believe me during that 1 hour of testing, I've been fiddling it in all sorts of positions
tongue_smile.gif

Sorry, but I just don't see how the bass of ie8 can compare with the w3s..more so with my testing tracks..one is hard-hitting, with speed, accurate and punchy while the other just muddy and boomy in comparison...I've to respectfully disagree with david and cn11 after 1 hour of a/b-ing both just on bass quality alone..

And my brain is pretty much burned-in to their sound sigs by now..will let you know after the 150 hour mark if there are any changes..

For me, the IE8s really didn't hit their stride until after somewhere between 150 and 170 hours. Also, I was burning them in at a loud level, too loud to listen to (for me) for an extended period of time, and a combination of frequency sweeps and full spectrum, fast, complex music.

And now with 300+ hours, I think they sound much better!

But of course, everybody will have different opinions, and as long as you find what you like best, that is the goal, right
wink.gif

Feb 14, 2009 at 7:15 AM Post #70 of 116
OK, I have switched back to silicon over complys for both ears due to comfort issues. I have had to play with the positioning of how the complys fit on the stem, far enough from the IE8 body for a seal, but as close as possible for comfort.

My left ear is harder to get a seal with, but now that I have an excellent seal, the bass on the IE8s is so so so much better! Wow. I thought it was good before, but now, wow, just wow. The power, the detail, the instrument placement, the excellent instrument timbre.

I hope all IE8 owners can get a great seal like I am experiencing.

Feb 14, 2009 at 7:23 AM Post #71 of 116
Would you experience a unbalance imaging with less seal on left ear?

Feb 14, 2009 at 8:09 AM Post #72 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by ottoyu34 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would you experience a unbalance imaging with less seal on left ear?

When I don't have as good a seal/isolation the left ear has a slightly lower volume and the overall bass impact seems less. I know I don't have a good seal if I can push in the earpiece and the bass increases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back