What tips with IE8?
Feb 11, 2009 at 8:08 PM Post #46 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What tips have you been using? The only tips that worked for me before my mod were the T-400s, and this mod with the olives has better treble than the T-400s IMO. I might have to compare comfort and airyness with and without the olives, but with, they still sound very airy to me.

Me thinks the reason they sound the same is the foam (T-400) absorbs treble, and the silicon doesn't, so if foam is used under the silicon, same treble as with just the silicon, but better isolation = more bass. Now, soundstage may be better without the olives due to less isolation, but listening right now, I don't think there is less.

Honestly, the T-400s are more comfortable though, but I think the treble resolution with the modded tips is better. Or maybe I just notice it more because there is more treble energy making it to my eardrums.

Haha, i've been using the Senns "Olives" all the time till i used the modded tips. I agree with u about the T-400s that it absorbs the treble and thus, sounds pretty muffled and with very strong bass.

Using the Senn "olives", the sound isolation ain't that good. But cuz of that, its more airy and clearer but of course, the bass is pretty "weak" (when i say weak, its juz my preference. Note that the bass using these tips are still stronger than the W3 :p ).

With the Olive mod, it is the same as wat u said. Better treble and better bass.

So i really have to thank you for giving this suggestion. I actually modded the Shure Olives to fit my IE8, but it sounds so muffled and disgusting to hear and i thought it was a wasted effort and money. Then your solution came to save the tips. Not only that, it sounded nicer to my ears.
biggrin.gif

Feb 11, 2009 at 8:30 PM Post #47 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueSwift /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haha, i've been using the Senns "Olives" all the time till i used the modded tips. I agree with u about the T-400s that it absorbs the treble and thus, sounds pretty muffled and with very strong bass.

Using the Senn "olives", the sound isolation ain't that good. But cuz of that, its more airy and clearer but of course, the bass is pretty "weak" (when i say weak, its juz my preference. Note that the bass using these tips are still stronger than the W3 :p ).

With the Olive mod, it is the same as wat u said. Better treble and better bass.

So i really have to thank you for giving this suggestion. I actually modded the Shure Olives to fit my IE8, but it sounds so muffled and disgusting to hear and i thought it was a wasted effort and money. Then your solution came to save the tips. Not only that, it sounded nicer to my ears.
biggrin.gif

Glad they are working for you. I might try to slightly reduce the olive tip size (part that goes deepest into my ears) as my right ear isn't 100% comfortable. I was using the olive because of the color, maybe I should try this with the much softer complys.

Feb 11, 2009 at 8:59 PM Post #49 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by thechungster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just wondering, how did you cut the Shure olive? The same way as the Comply? If so, can you use a standard knife and cut round it?

Remove from the stem? Same way for both. And cutting them, I used the same x-acto blade, just tried to make sure I made an even slice (hardest part).

I didn't cut around it, I sliced through the middle, then cut to one side, than the other.

Feb 12, 2009 at 12:03 AM Post #51 of 116
I got a few different sizes of ue silicone I have tried with my ie8. I like the ue med. I have quite a few prs of small and of the dual flange, as well as med. Anyone wishing to try a pair or prs of these..pm me..I will work out a very fair deal. They are unused of course. Hope this isn't inappropriate here...it's just I am not interested in making profit..just have alot of prs I'll never use and thought a few of you would like the chance to try them before paying full price somewhere.. I like the med ue tips.. and the large dual flange that came with the ie8.. as well as the senn large foamish ones.

Feb 12, 2009 at 1:46 AM Post #52 of 116
@average joe: I like the modded tip you did. looks great!

Are you working on a bi-flange verson?

Otto

Feb 12, 2009 at 2:40 AM Post #53 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by Del Griffith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got a few different sizes of ue silicone I have tried with my ie8.
I like the ue med.

I just bought 5 pairs of those a couple of days ago, and have yet to fit them on!! I tried prying the inner core open with a pair of tweezers (but I needed 3 hands), and then after spending over 30 minutes trying to 'persuade' it on by force, and failing, I gave up and slung them in with my other 'miscellaneous' tips!

Did you get them on easily? How did you stop the inner core from folding over all the time?

Feb 12, 2009 at 4:42 AM Post #54 of 116
i reckon the senn olives are pretty decent. currently im using shure medium olives put on backwards, reason being the back of them is wider and with no chamfer just a sqaure edge, so when its in the ear (which thanks to senn isnt very deep) its got a very tight seal for very little penetration if you get what i mean. hoping that when my complys get here i will no longer need to as they will be longer and provide that deeper fit. also since im an engineer im considering ways i can make a sleeve to fit over the existing stem to extend it further so that the stem will have a longer length and go deeper in the ear like the shures.

Feb 12, 2009 at 6:19 AM Post #55 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by MythNoob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i reckon the senn olives are pretty decent. currently im using shure medium olives put on backwards, reason being the back of them is wider and with no chamfer just a sqaure edge, so when its in the ear (which thanks to senn isnt very deep) its got a very tight seal for very little penetration if you get what i mean. hoping that when my complys get here i will no longer need to as they will be longer and provide that deeper fit. also since im an engineer im considering ways i can make a sleeve to fit over the existing stem to extend it further so that the stem will have a longer length and go deeper in the ear like the shures.

Haha, that's cool. Can u show pics of it next time once u r done? :p

But wat im scared is that the longer the tips and the better the sound isolation, the less airiness, soundstage and clarity.
frown.gif

Feb 12, 2009 at 8:40 AM Post #56 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by ottoyu34 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@average joe: I like the modded tip you did. looks great!

Are you working on a bi-flange verson?

Otto

Not today, I am still playing with foam in the large silicons. I did cut up another pair of T-400s, so I do have 2 extra cores...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Del Griffith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got a few different sizes of ue silicone I have tried with my ie8. I like the ue med. I have quite a few prs of small and of the dual flange, as well as med. Anyone wishing to try a pair or prs of these..pm me..I will work out a very fair deal. They are unused of course. Hope this isn't inappropriate here...it's just I am not interested in making profit..just have alot of prs I'll never use and thought a few of you would like the chance to try them before paying full price somewhere.. I like the med ue tips.. and the large dual flange that came with the ie8.. as well as the senn large foamish ones.

How do the UE tips sit compared to the Senn tips? Do the stick out further on the nozzle, or about the same?

Feb 12, 2009 at 2:30 PM Post #58 of 116
Average Joe, what do you think sounds better overall out of your mods - The Silicone+T400 or the Silcone+Olive?

I've got some spares of both at home so might have a crack tonight
wink.gif

Feb 12, 2009 at 5:05 PM Post #59 of 116
Funny, I find the Senn large foams pretty nice. Good fit, 3 hours so far with great comfort. Somewhat similar to the shure olives (but not as good). I wonder if I should bother with the surgery.

Who else likes these guys? I haven't even bothered with the other tips yet...

I really wish this site would display better on my blackberry...

Feb 12, 2009 at 5:10 PM Post #60 of 116
I tried again all the tips and I came back to olives, I prefer the sound with foam tips but the smaller one don't isolate enough and the bigger hurt my right ear (probably I have a slightly different inner canal between right and left)!

So or I will try the Comply T400 hoping they will be less hurting or I'll stay with olives tips that satisfy me enough!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back