what those words mean here?
Sep 3, 2011 at 11:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

starNdust

100+ Head-Fier
hey im new here and been read alot of topics , some say my headphones sound are "warm" , what warm mean here ,is it like the sound not crisp or you will feel its not stright forward to your ears ? is it a cons ? like if im lsning to rock is that a real bad thing to have warm headphones , and does fun headphones and not fun related to how the headphones are warm , sorry for my silly noobie questions but  some of the high end headphones i read about here specially with wood they describe the sound are warm and smooth and i dont know if that is bad ,

Sep 3, 2011 at 11:27 AM Post #2 of 3
Please use the search feature.

But look HERE if you nee help. It's a glossary

Sep 3, 2011 at 11:34 AM Post #3 of 3
Quote:
hey im new here and been read alot of topics , some say my headphones sound are "warm" , what warm mean here ,is it like the sound not crisp or you will feel its not stright forward to your ears ? is it a cons ? like if im lsning to rock is that a real bad thing to have warm headphones , and does fun headphones and not fun related to how the headphones are warm , sorry for my silly noobie questions but  some of the high end headphones i read about here specially with wood they describe the sound are warm and smooth and i dont know if that is bad ,

Warmth is attributed to the lower mid-range, from around say 160Hz to 640Hz. Sub-bass (<60Hz) and mid-bass (60-160Hz) can attribute as well. The more you have in that frequency range the warmer a headphone will sound.

It's not a bad thing in moderation. It's actually a good thing sometimes, considering how bass-light a lot of audiophiles consider "neutral".

"Fun" is subjective. It's usually attributed to a Grado-like sound signature, with a mid-bass hump and peaky treble and mid-range. Other times people consider warm headphones like HD650 "fun". It depends on preference and musical taste.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back