What this site has taught me.
Aug 3, 2007 at 1:31 AM Post #46 of 64
There is no difference between this thread and all others like it...stick with one thread. See this link [[INSERT LINK HERE]].

evil_smiley.gif

Aug 3, 2007 at 1:37 AM Post #47 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is a complete load of crap! Screw the "blind" tests, I met with a few head-fi people when I sold them a few amps and got them to listen to a few cables. I like to bring pure silver, silver plated copper, pure copper and maybe some exotic blend to test, and everybody can very easily tell the difference between he cables. Another theory shot to ****.

This however is another example of people making a claim with NO evidence, come on.

Aug 3, 2007 at 1:39 AM Post #48 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Computerpro3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If people think their system sounds better with a nice cable, then their satisfaction is increased. What's the big deal even if there is no difference?

It's not a big deal at all. It is fantastic if they are happy.

It's when someone starts advocating the item that it becomes an issue. "This power cable sounds much better than that power cable." And the more extreme the claim is, the more likely people will question it, and ask for evidence that backs up the claim. Asking the question, "But can you be sure?" is normal, rational behavior that is not considered offensive in any other aspect of society. But in the audio world, asking someone to back up their difficult-to-believe claims is considered offensive and incites emotion and outrage.

I guess what I don't get is why people have such as emotional response, and are offended, when you mention the word placebo. I guess they take it as questioning their "ability" as an audiophile or something, but it's really not. It's not an insult, it's just reality. Denying the existence of placebo is is nothing other than failing to accept reality. Personally, I find it intriguingly and enjoy identifying what components truly make a difference in my system, and what parts are all in my head.

Aug 3, 2007 at 1:42 AM Post #49 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why is it that a statement of opinion by one party REQUIRES evidence, including a double blind test? It's one man's opinion, nothing more.

This is how fights get started. Folks who spend their time evaluating cables have invested time and energy that ought to be respected, even if you disagree at the most basic level with what they have to say.

I'll say this again - people are smart enough to make up their own minds.

Because despite what people say, not all opinions are created equally, or hold equal value.

You want your opinion to hold some weight, then back it up with critical thinking and facts.

And why should respect someone because they spend hundreds or thousands on cables, without ever blind testing to actually determine if there is a real improvement, or if it is all in their head. If anything I should think that person is a fool.

Aug 3, 2007 at 1:47 AM Post #50 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is no difference between this thread and all others like it...stick with one thread. See this link [[INSERT LINK HERE]].

evil_smiley.gif

VERY nice!!
biggrin.gif

Aug 3, 2007 at 1:47 AM Post #51 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by ecclesand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Going for the thread lock.....
wink.gif

Political Discussion:

Republican: Obama and Clinton Suck!
Democrat: Bush is an idiot!
Independent: Everyone is an idiot and sucks!

Bush, Obama and Clinton all suck! Vote for Ron Paul!
biggrin.gif

Can't you guys go argue about cables in one of the many pre-existing cable debate threads? What, you say? They're all locked? Maybe it's for good reason...

Aug 3, 2007 at 1:48 AM Post #52 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by LawnGnome /img/forum/go_quote.gif

And why should respect someone because they spend hundreds or thousands on cables, without ever blind testing to actually determine if there is a real improvement, or if it is all in their head. If anything I should think that person is a fool.

The amount of money spent is inconsequential because it is so relative. Perhaps you wouldn't spend $1000 to try out different cables, but would you spend $1 a cable? Of course, because that's nothing to you. Someone in Africa would think you out of your mind to spend $1 on an audio cable when that means food for them for a week.

$1 to some is $10000 to others, in a manner of speaking. You can't use the amount of money people spend to judge their sanity.

Aug 3, 2007 at 1:53 AM Post #53 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Computerpro3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As someone who is fairly undecided on cables, my take is this - zealots on both sides are quite annoying, but I find that the zealots on the anti-cable side are a lot more vocal and negative. This detracts from the feeling of the forum and I wish it would stop. (emphasis mine) Noob's aren't going to be buying $1000 cables anyway, so don't hide behind the "I'm looking out for the new guys" excuse. If people have the money to buy cables, and it enhances their listening pleasure because it looks cool, sounds better, or just makes them THINK it sounds better, then that's great. That's what we're all after, after all - listening pleasure, and the music.

I agree with this 100%...unfortunately, we've seen a few examples in this thread. For example:

Quote:

Originally Posted by LawnGnome

Aug 3, 2007 at 3:24 AM Post #55 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatcat28037 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not Kind, and certainly not in the spirit of Head-Fi.

And the original post was!? Pu-leeze.
tongue.gif

EDIT: Oh, is that how you spell Puhleez... good to know.
biggrin.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, if a member here should state that HE can hear the difference, that is a statement of fact that REQUIRES evidence? Puhleez!

Aug 3, 2007 at 3:50 AM Post #57 of 64
If you had been here for a while and seen 100's of these threads, all ending the same way, you would understand.

Aug 3, 2007 at 5:06 AM Post #58 of 64
I gotta hop in here and flaunt my opinion!
smily_headphones1.gif

Cables DO change the sound...I have first-hand experience with it. I've disassembled cables and rewound them in my own ways to see how it affects the sound. The biggest difference is in the gauge of wire, and geometry.

BRAND does not mean ANYTHING. A lamp power cord can and probably will sound the same as most brand name cables. hah

Also, don't buy into the gold crap...copper is FAR superior to gold. Silver is something to behold however. I can back this up, but it's probably not needed. -I can though-

OP got upset because everyone jumped him in the last post that patrick posted in because he called patrick an idiot.

Here's another paragraph just for fun
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back