1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

What the $^&# heck is it?.........iFi iEMatch!

First

Back
22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
  1. Dobrescu George
    Besides the volume reduction and hiss removal, it shouldn't change the sound at all for 99% of people

phiemon likes this.
  2. csglinux
    Hi George, I'm going to disagree with you here, if only for the fun of playing Devil's advocate, ok... :wink: I believe the iEMatch is basically this:

iematch.png

iFi folks, do you deny it?!?!? :)

Even if my circuit diagram isn't 100% correct, the iEMatch definitely changes the FR (I've measured it). And if it changes the FR, it will also change the THD vs f distribution. The question is simply whether you like that change in sound or not. I don't think there's an answer as to which is better, at least w.r.t. FR - it just depends on your preferences.

The advantages of this device are: 1) less hiss and 2) if you like the sound of your IEM+iEMatch combo, then that particular sound should experience minimal changes if you plug this combo into a random, high-z-out source.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  3. Dobrescu George
    Most times I don't get to hear hiss since I listen loud, so I do not employ anti-hiss quite that often myself, but when I did, I haven't noticed much of a difference while using iEMatch, except for the reduction in hiss, I did a test with a few friends, and none could have noticed any changes, besides the hiss reduction, so it is rather transparent.

I generally prefer music louder, and most of times, it may bottleneck me, even for IEMs, this is why I do not employ it often though, but for quiet listeners, it should be really good :)

4. csglinux
    It will depend on the headphones you attach to it. You should be able to hear differences with IEMs that have both low impedance and wild impedance swings, e.g., Andromeda or SE846.

Dobrescu George likes this.
  5. Dobrescu George
    Good point, but I have the 2.5mm Balanced version, which means that I didn't try it with all the IEMs I have, and I actually do not have SE846, nor Andromeda :)

Simply judging from an electronic design point of view, I agree that it may induce some changes with some IEMs, at least on a theoretical level, it would change the way they sound with a certain source, because some IEMs do sound different when plugged in a high impedance output, but most people will cal the new sound fixed :)

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
First

Back
22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31