What soundcard to get with a Samson SR850?
Jul 3, 2012 at 11:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Lost4468

New Head-Fier
It will be mostly for gaming/music/general listening.  I want dolby headphone and I was looking at the asus xonar dg, but what's the difference between the DG and DX?  What do you recommend?

Jul 4, 2012 at 1:23 AM Post #2 of 5
Quote:
It will be mostly for gaming/music/general listening.  I want Dolby Headphone and I was looking at the Asus Xonar DG, but what's the difference between the DG and DX?  What do you recommend?

The Xonar DX (&D1) are better sound cards cards then the Xonar DG (& DGX),
Except the Xonar DG/DGX comes with a half-way decent headphone amplifier that makes them better at driving headphones.
So get the DG.
you can always add an external headphone amplifier to the DG to drive higher Ohm headphones in the future.

If you willing to get an external headphone amp. now, then get the Xonar DX or D1.

Jul 4, 2012 at 10:54 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:
The Xonar DX (&D1) are better sound cards cards then the Xonar DG (& DGX),
Except the Xonar DG/DGX comes with a half-way decent headphone amplifier that makes them better at driving headphones.
So get the DG.
you can always add an external headphone amplifier to the DG to drive higher Ohm headphones in the future.

If you willing to get an external headphone amp. now, then get the Xonar DX or D1.

Is the surround simulation for gaming the same on both?

Jul 4, 2012 at 11:37 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:
Is the surround simulation for gaming the same on both?

The Xonar DX & D1 can process up to 7.1, and I the Xonar DG & DGX is 5.1.
The DX/D1 use the CMI8788 audio processor, the DG/DGX the older CMI8768.
The DX/D1 have a better DAC then the DG/DGX.
I believe the DX/D1 have a better optical output.

But the Xonar DG is so cheap after $10 mail in rebate ($24-$10 is $14).

Jul 6, 2012 at 5:39 AM Post #5 of 5
I have the Superlux 668b and Asus Xonar DG, the SR850 to my knowledge is pretty much the same headphone. I can tell you I can easily justify buying the Xonar DG, but I personally don't think I can justify spending more on the other sound cards with these headphones (which sound great BTW, as I imagine you already know). I can tell you there was a small improvement in sound quality going from my onboard to the DG, not much but it was noticeable, well worth the money. Though part it was from the amp, so I think the DG will be the best bet in comparison to other cards, not to mention you can pick it up cheap.

Looking at the control panel right now I can tell you it has a 5.1 Dolby Headphones and something called 7.1 Virtual Speaker Shifter. But from playing around I will say the 5.1 Dolby Headphones sound significantly better, especially on reference room setting in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back