What sound siganture do you prefer, and why?
Jul 8, 2013 at 11:12 PM Post #31 of 50
Closest option to "equally emphasized" would be neutral. Indoors preference would be neutral, while outdoor preference being v-shaped. World noise (70-80 decibels) doesn't play nice with mid range vocals or classical.

Jul 9, 2013 at 1:19 AM Post #32 of 50

...ok, I think I don't have a specific preference regarding FR

Jul 9, 2013 at 1:37 AM Post #33 of 50
Alright, so from what I learnt in this thread is that there are nearly equal amount of people prefer Neutral and V-Shape then the 2nd popular sound goes to mid-centric..

Seems legit XD
Billson :)

Jul 9, 2013 at 1:56 AM Post #34 of 50
I prefer a very very slight recession in the mids but thats about it. Also, bass has to be close to flat.

Jul 9, 2013 at 1:57 AM Post #35 of 50
Though I dovery much like flat (music, not girls 
wink_face.gif
)

Jul 9, 2013 at 2:01 AM Post #36 of 50
M-Audio Q40's response represents my preferred signature best so far (the first headphone I've tried which there's no need for EQing), boosted bass (around 7-9dB or so seems right for me) with balanced mids versus highs presence, guess basshead is closest fitting. I do prefer this response with every genre I listen to, also classical/orchestra, to me it just sounds "right" (I'm a person that let my ears/senses/brain evaluate what I prefer to hear, not what I "should" be liking)

Jul 9, 2013 at 11:04 AM Post #39 of 50
I want different sound signatures.  I listen to jazz and blues, and it's the difference between the performance in a smoky bar and an auditorium with everything in between.  As far as reproducing the sound that the musician wanted you to hear, good luck.  It's more about what the engineer wants you to hear.  Also with jazz there is no one sound for an instrument like a trumpet.  The best want to have their own sound, and they change it from time to time.  In my opinion classical music is the only style of music where there is just one way a particular instrument should always have same sound   

Jul 9, 2013 at 12:26 PM Post #40 of 50
I like the GoldenHears chart/rating system.
Human perception focused rather than maths...
This sign really matches my tastes.
Its the Senn HD 540 Reference. I'm in love with these vintage pre-veiled Senns...
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7985007/Head-Fi/Sennheiser%20HD%20540%20Reference/Sennheiser%20HD%20540%20Reference%20PHOTOS/GoldenHears%20-%20Sennheiser%20HD%20540%20Ref%20Gold%20Signature%20Chart.jpg

Jul 9, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #41 of 50
Quote:
I like the GoldenHears chart/rating system.
Human perception focused rather than maths...

Me too, but the rating is "reviewer's opinion on this product's measured data and perceived sound".
This hd540 is probably great.
But the rating is better for the hd800, except that they are brighter.
http://en.goldenears.net/4326
I'm wondering if I wouldn't like a less tight bass, though.
I  know the "audiophile standard" is to have the tightest bass.

Jul 9, 2013 at 1:15 PM Post #42 of 50
For outdoors and other noisy environments, I prefer bassy (huge sub bass that does its own thing without interfering with the rest of the sound; everything else neutral). I hate v-shaped because boosted treble ruins the whole point of bass emphasis and makes the midrange sound recessed. I also can't stand boomy sound, i.e. boosted upper bass and lower mids, which also makes the mids recessed.

For indoors, I prefer neutral/flat or slightly U-shaped because I want what I'm hearing to be accurate. A bit of boost in the sub-bass and upper treble increases the scale of the sound (atmospheric bass) and airiness without colouring the rest of the sound signature.

Jul 9, 2013 at 4:51 PM Post #44 of 50
I'll stick with as neutral as possible. I like to have the sound range presented as close as possible to what was recorded and mastered. It's the reason I found Head-Fi and have loved the HifiMAN RE252. I dislike bass heavy gear like the Shure SE215, hence why I now own and adore the SoundMAGIC HP-100.

Jul 9, 2013 at 5:05 PM Post #45 of 50
I quite like a good bass extension and above average presence(advanced way to say I'm a basshead:) and a reasonable good treble extension,but I don't care for mids that much, unless I'm listening to Vocal Trance. Basically just a lopsided V shape.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back