What should my next project be?
Feb 1, 2004 at 6:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

brschmid

500+ Head-Fier
I have built a CMOY and a MINT.

I am open for suggestions. cost will be the issue, try to keep it resonable 200.00 or less.

The amp is for use with my k271's. I don't think the MINT is quite powerful enough for them, and I want an amp i can plug into the wall (A/C) to sit on my desk.

Feb 1, 2004 at 6:31 AM Post #2 of 21
How about building something like the MAD Ear+ kit from Mapletree?

It'll get you started down the tube headphone amp path.
smily_headphones1.gif

D.

Feb 1, 2004 at 6:40 AM Post #3 of 21
hmmm, tempting.

Any idea on cost of one of those kits? they do include everything, correct?

Feb 1, 2004 at 7:02 AM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by brschmid
Any idea on cost of one of those kits? they do include everything, correct?

Yup, they include all the parts necessary to build a complete amp. The "Ear+ Purist" kit costs $325, the "Ear++" costs $395. Price list is here (linked from the main Mapletree Audio Design site.)

A search for "mad ear+" will turn up a lot of threads here, by the way. The overwhelming consensus is that Mapletree's products are top-notch.

D.

Feb 1, 2004 at 10:04 AM Post #5 of 21
A good PIMETA can be built for that price including an Elpac wall-power supply. I imagine it'd be a nice step-up from the MINT.

Feb 1, 2004 at 5:56 PM Post #9 of 21
I posted a link to a musician's practice amplifier here a while ago that has a very interesting output section using common 2n2222 and 2n2907 transistors. I've heard from an authority that the topology of that output section is better than the one used by Headroom - build it and see!

You could take that schem, cut away all the musical instrument stuff and just build it as a stereo headamp. Pretty low current draw, powered by (2) 9V batteries, add bass boost, etc..

I'd do it.

ok,
erix

Feb 1, 2004 at 8:40 PM Post #10 of 21
Why not build a PPA? I personally went straight up the "Head-fi series" of amps, namely CMOY, skipped the MINT, PIMETA, and now, doing the PPA.

As an electronics novice, I gain some assurance from the fact that there is enough of a knowledge base with the PPA both in the archives and among current members, that I won't suffer any problems in building it.

Feb 1, 2004 at 9:23 PM Post #12 of 21
If you are a bit resourceful, you can find all the parts you need for a good quality PPA at around that price.

Feb 1, 2004 at 9:34 PM Post #13 of 21
thanks, i don't know yet what i want to build.

I like that MAD amp, but the price is a little high.
I want a PPA, but again price is the problem

Feb 1, 2004 at 9:40 PM Post #14 of 21
If i were you I would build a fully maxxxed out PIMETA. Its a beautiful amp and easily drives high impedance phones.
wink.gif

Feb 1, 2004 at 9:45 PM Post #15 of 21
What's a Maxed-Out Pimeta?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back